The fall of the dominoes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 253 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

Having just read “Remembering Flybe – A Brief History of the Regional Carrier, did wonder who had “written” the article. The culprit lives in Northern New South Wales. He claims his only interest is accruing frequent flyer points. At least he wasn’t from the Daily Mail. For anyone who’s interested in his name, it’s Andrew Curran.

Thanks FaroFlyer. Don’t remember any mention of the meal service as ex-boss ultimately only ever flew BHX-ORK with them. Going slightly off subject, remember he enjoyed a very nice champagne breakfast on F50 CityHopper flights.

transtraxman
    Participant

Interested buyers of this airline should have made an offer by last Monday – nobody did, so it seems inevitable that Jet Airways is going to the wall.The estimate is that next week the airline will close down.

“Jet Airways May Now Finally Be Declared Bankrupt,” (Simple Flying 11-3-20)

Jet Airways May Now Finally Be Declared Bankrupt

Who is going to replace Jet Airways on international routes? Will the Indian government relax the rules about operating internationally?

capetonianm
    Participant

So the gallant White Knight on his trusty steed has not delivered as promised. Big fat surprise!

For those not in the know, Google ‘Jason Unsworth’. An ex-Servisair check in agent and Primark shelf-stacker who lives in a fantasy world was putting in ‘bids’ to take over and run Jet.

Just for a laugh …… The reader comment below sums him up.

https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/who-is-jason-unsworth-the-lone-crusader-out-to-salvage-jet-airways/1573246/

JASON UNSWORTH IS A SCAMMER AND A LIAR – HE HAS BEEN REPORTED TO THE UK POLICE AND FRAUD SQUAD OVER HIS DECEPTION AND LIES – STAY FAR AWAY FROM HIM – COMPANIES HOUSE RECORDS SHOW HE LIVES WITH HIS GRANDPARENTS AND WORKS OUT OF A HOUSE IN CHELMSFORD, AS WELL AS HAVING 100QUID TO HIS NAME

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Reports coming out of Germany saying that Lufthansa is asking Government for state support.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=993178]So the gallant White Knight on his trusty steed has not delivered as promised. Big fat surprise![/quote]

Had to chuckle on his twitter how he states he has “bidded for @jetairways @jetairways2020 for the forth time”.

capetonianm
    Participant

I wrote to J.U. when the ZA Minister of Finances said that he doubted if anyone would pay R1 for SAA. I told him it would be an ideal opportunity to use his entrepreneurial skills to buy and rescue the airline, and I offered him help to finance the deal, as well as lending my experience in various areas.

For some odd reason, I never had a reply.

SimonS1
    Participant

La Compagnie forced to suspend all services.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Connect Airways now in administration.

As a result Irish carrier Stobart Air is now 49 per cent controlled by accountancy firm EY with the remainder held by its staff.

https://www.independent.ie/business/world/stobart-air-holding-company-falls-into-administration-39055641.html

transtraxman
    Participant

One can never tell if an airline going into Chapter 11 administration proceedings is really going bankrupt , or is just sorting out its finances in a protected environment. In the market circumstances at the present I would assume that the chances of cleaning up the finances and getting a profitable business going again, are quite near to nil. In that case I suppose the administrators are trying their best to make the most of a very bad job.

“Miami Air files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection”, (ch-aviation 26-3-20)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/88095-miami-air-files-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-protection

transtraxman
    Participant

As an extension to my post of 29-3-20 , now Braathens´ Swedish subsidiary Braathens Regional Airlines has filed for bankruptcy protection.
    “Sweden’s BRA files for bankruptcy protection”, (ch-aviation 6-4-20)

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/88480-swedens-bra-files-for-bankruptcy-protection

The website provides more information. What I do understand is that this protection is limited to the Swedish subsidiary, not to the Norwegian parent company.

https://www.flygbra.se/index-en.html

cwoodward
    Participant

Virgin Australia’s future is looking increasing bleak.

Australia’s second largest airline with a modern fleet of 96 aircraft has never made a profit.
    The management has been spotty a best and racked up so much debt that it is difficult to see any real value .
    It’s shareholders Etihad Airways (20.94%) Singapore Airlines (20.09%) Nanshan Group (19.98% -acquired from Air New Zealand) HNA Group (19.82%) Virgin Group (10.42%) don’t want to invest further and would like to sell but there have been no buyers interested for the past couple of years.

The Australian government has declined to bail it out and it earlier this week they ‘temporarily’ ceased flying operations.

In these troubled times VA is looking like a very hungry orphan that no one will take in and must be high on the list of airlines likely to fail.
    A pity because with a committed owner and decent management the airline had huge potential and could perhaps still be saved although very deep pockets and an experienced airline operator would be needed.

MarcusGB
    Participant

VA
    Yes, i have comments from friends & Colleagues in Australia, of several Private Investment Companies are floating around Virgin Australia.

It has always reflected a more modern image than Qantas, that appears more of a Legacy Airline, but well liked with a strong reputation, and Australian loyalty.
    VA have more modern Aircraft, refreshed lounges, more low cost feel than a Domestic Qantas feel domestically, but not up to much as a long haul brand. They came more into force when Ansett Airlines disappeared

Flights have always been extremely expensive within Australia more domestic wise than maybe those across the Tasman or around the Oceania region.
    So it is surprising that profits cannot be made from some very high priced, but short distanced routes, with no real inner country domestic train services, and remote to drive to areas. Many Australian Leisure travellers find overall flights to Thailand, Indonesia or NZ, more cost effective than exploring Australia domestic wise, on fares alone, but on overall costs saved once there. Hence most Aussies think nothing of travelling thousands of miles.

Without some sort of other structured Airline, there would be otherwise no competition for Qantas.

CityJet
    Sorry to say they gained a very poor reputation from many years ago, with unclean and ageing aircraft, uncomfortable to fly in Avro jets, many over 25 yrs old.
    Cityjet were part of the Air France group, did not even keep a sensible link to feed CDG only Orly, but were sold off.
    Further, KLM came back into LCY for the Amsterdam route, and introducing one new Embraer 195 per month, built up for now 9 flights a day. They have been extremely popular, always full, and both Dutch Business travellers and British based Leisure travellers, using them to join the KLM Hub at AMS to travel onwards.

With no major links to other Airlines, feeding no major airport Hubs, a poor Brand image, ageing fleet, i am surprised they have even stayed until now.
    Without these links to the major Groups of Airlines, and ?? Alliance group memberships, i cannot see many of these smaller Airlines restart or develop after the tragic situation we see today with Covid 19. Especially for short haul within Europe.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 253 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls