The fall of the dominoes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 253 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=991396]Bizarre argument if I may say so.[/quote]

My friends and workmates chuck the same tag at me when I’m discussing certain topics. I normally counter with the fact it’s not so much bizarre , but lateral thinking.

I might of made my point a bit clearer if I used an analogy.
    When you opt for a cheap pair of shoes , you normally find that you suffer a bit of pain due to the pinch points, and eventually (sooner rather than later) you need to go and buy another pair of shoes.

IMO – and relatively speaking , the 737 MAX is that cheap pair of shoes !

[quote quote=991396]Also surely having denser configurations[/quote]

Continuing with the metaphor – Passengers are a size 9 and the Max is a size 8 , and you’re expected to trek up Ben Nevis !!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=991446][/postquote]

I get all that, but what has it got to do with 737 issue biting them in the arse.

How aircraft are configured is a matter for the airline, either you fly them or you don’t. The plane should still be fit for purpose.

capetonianm
    Participant

Two of Norway’s airline are showing signs of difficulty.

Widerøe Cuts 4,000 Flights From Short-Haul Network in Norway

Remote communities across Norway are in shock as the Norwegian domestic airline Widerøe announces major cuts. A spokesperson says they are in a “desperate situation.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-13/norwegian-air-deepens-cutbacks-vowing-profitability-this-year
    Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA is making further cuts to its long-haul network in a bid to return the troubled low-cost carrier to profitability this year.
    The Oslo-based airline is fast reversing a strategy of growth at all costs that increased debt to untenable levels, and will now focus its long-haul routes on London, Rome, Paris, Barcelona and the U.S., according to a statement Thursday.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

[postquote quote=991383][/postquote]
    I just love the EU’s hypocracy. Here they say ‘If this fails, Tarom will either be required to submit a liquidation plan or undergo extensive restructuring – with Commission approval – to become sustainable,’ while they seem completely powerless to do anything about the continual bailing out of Alitalia, as well as the hughe aid given to Air France over the years completely against EU regulation. I guess there are two reules within the EU, the Larger EU economies can ignore EU legislation while the others do so at their peril. Both AF and AZ should have been liquidated ages ago, unfortuantely the success of KLM tends to hide the disaster that is AF, AZ doesnt have that benefit.

capetonianm
    Participant

It is utter hypocrisy but isn’t that precisely what the EU is about?
    Same in ZA where we have a failed national carrier which has cost the taxpayer billions (of ZAR) over the years, is completely non-viable and will remain so until run by business professionals rather than ANC criminals and thieves, and has just been given another R16bn. yesterday in the budget.
    Meanwhile 60% of the population live in poverty.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Norwegian is on the brink again, stock lost 46% since the beginning of the week and a further 22.5% today, real junk status.

Budget carrier Norwegian Air said it still expects to return to profit this year, but it failed to reassure investors who sent its share price tumbling again on concerns the coronavirus would hurt passenger numbers.

Shares in the airline, which has had to raise cash from its owners to survive, slumped 15.9% to an 11-year low earlier today.

They have now lost 46% since the start of this week as the coronavirus has spread around the world.

Norwegian Air said on February 13, when it presented quarterly results, that it expected to report a profit in 2020 after three consecutive years of losses.

Oddly enough this went through my mind yesterday when I booked a ticket for my son from HEL, as there was no non-stop alternative.

transtraxman
    Participant

Another one bites the dust…….Flybe is the fourth UK airline to go bust in two years.
    “Flybe failed despite £135m cash injection”, (Travel Weekly 5-3-20)

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/360760/flybe-failed-despite-135m-cash-injection

This article explains in more detail the affected airports among other things.
    “Breaking: Flybe Folds As Finances Fail”, (Simple Flying 4-3-20)

Breaking: Flybe Folds As Finances Fail

After this bankrupcy I think we have to be careful to not speculate about others in the pipeline. News is appearing every day and we all start to see how that could affect us. We know there are other weak airlines on the brink but I am concerned that undue speculation might push one or another over the edge. We should not bandy names about with little care for the consequences.

The situation is worsened by this coronavirus outbreak and the tremendous drop in passenger traffic most of which(the drop in traffic) is totally unnecessary. If someone is so hysterical about flying because of this outbreak maybe they should not get out of bed in the morning. On the other hand take note of the advice given then we can help reduce its impact.

Confidence in flying has to and will come back. That way the airlines can get back on track.

“Remembering Flybe: A Brief History Of The Regional Carrier”, (Simple Flying 5-3-20)

Remembering Flybe: A Brief History Of The Regional Carrier

FaroFlyer
    Participant

“Remembering Flybe: A Brief History Of The Regional Carrier”, (Simple Flying 5-3-20)

Remembering Flybe: A Brief History Of The Regional Carrier

Not much of a history. Obviously written by someone very young, and with no research.

If my memory is correct it was originally, in the 80’s Birmingham Executive Airways. After that failed it became DUO, in 2002. I remember this clearly as DUO managers had a new fleet of cars at BHX all with xx02DUO as registrations. This failed and it became Birmingham European and when that failed it became Fly BE, or Flybe as we last knew it.

A very chequered history, and longer than Simple Flying realise

I look forward to being corrected. I think that Poshgirl is / was BHX based.

fatbear
    Participant

Flybe started as Jersey European Airlines in 1979. It used to be owned by Jack Walker. I don’t think Duo had any connection to Flybe or its predecessors…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=992853]After that failed it became DUO, in 2002. I remember this clearly as DUO managers had a new fleet of cars at BHX all with xx02DUO as registrations.[/quote]

As ‘fatbear’ noted Duo was a separate airline. It took over a number of short-haul routes which had previously been operated by BA at BHX.

SimonS1
    Participant

Duo was actually the former Maersk Air business (which operated as a BA franchise). Maersk in turn was the former Birmingham European Airways business.

None of it anything to do with FlyBe…

capetonianm
    Participant

Norwegian looking shakier. Cutting loss making services saves money, but aircraft laid up still generate costs but no revenue. The critical issue is whether someone will step in to put in more liquidity to keep them going.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fears-grow-for-future-of-troubled-norwegian-pxzgr8v95

Investors have started betting that Norwegian could be the next casualty of the collapse in airline bookings amid fears over the spread of covid-19.

In Oslo, shares in Norwegian were off 23 per cent at NKr 12.24. The stock has fallen 35 per cent this week, is down 66 per cent in the past month and is 80 per cent lower than it was a year ago.

Norwegian has been in a liquidity and debt crisis for some time, reaping the storm of helter-skelter expansion on transtlantic routes and fares that badly hurt the opposition but hurt it even more.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

FaroFlyer, fatbear, AMcWhirter, SimonS1 you are all correct in your recollections. However, there’s one missing – Birmingham Executive Airways. Latterly evolving into Birmingham European Airways. Started with three Jetstream 31 serving Zurich, Milan and Copenhagen. Then acquired a SAAB 340 which seemed to spend more time in maintenance than actually flying!

FlyBe appeared when BA Regional wanted to dispose of its routes, after helping to create the Eurohub terminal at BHX solely for their use. Not sure what happened to BA’s investment as it was eventually integrated into BHX as a whole and now used by Ryanair. Plans probably now in place to allocate gates to Eastern, Loganair and other airlines taking over FlyBe routes.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

FaroFlyer, apologies! You had correctly mentioned Birmingham Executive. I’d forgotten about Duo. It’s been one of those days!!

Remember other things about them. Female cabin crew complained about the wrap style skirts which flapped open whenever they moved. An ex-boss had a business meeting in Malmo, so booked with Birmingham Exec BHX-CPH from where he would get to Malmo on the SAS flight numbered hydrofoil, in the days before the road bridge was built. Flight cancelled, so he asked agents at BHX how they intended to get him to destination. The answer “don’t worry sir, we’ll get you there”. When he explained the route, it quickly dawned their promise could not be fulfilled.

Also remember the woes of BA at BHX. In a desperate attempt to maintain profitable services, they appointed one of their captains to resurrect fortunes. The late Captain Rod Clark’s plans kept them at BHX for a few years until they decided to concentrate on London only.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Poshgirl, Aaah.. I remember those skirts:-)

I also remember that after the evening meal service, 3 courses, crock plates, they passe round the port, and the cigars!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 253 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls