The end of the lorry of the sky (A380)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I haven’t flown on the 380 and I can see why some people might not like such a large aircraft, which is partly why I haven’t gone out of my way to fly on one.

Crowded / no privacy / too large cabins / seating / lack of storage space : All that is down to the way the airline configures, and nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Terrible air : I’ve not heard that it’s any worse than any other aircraft in this regard.

I prefer the engine noise to snoring and other personal noise! – That I will agree with.

esselle
    Participant

I find it hard to understand the argument that an airframe is not good for the passenger as every operator has a different configuration/hard product/service programme etc.

I would far prefer to fly QR A380 in J than BA A380 in F, EK A380 in F than QR A380 in F, etc etc.

My own view is that the A380 is something of a wonder from a technical point of view but, as with any other frame, my choices would always be determined by the decisions of the carrier when it comes to how they fit out the interior.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=919222] @rferguson – Any idea why the WTP scores aren’t so good on the A380 specifically?[/quote]

I think because it’s a very large WTP cabin and a little isolated. It’s a walk through a big World Traveller cabin aft or a big CW cabin forward to reach a galley.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Sad news – I would (and do) deliberately choose a service which is flying the A380. At least it will be around for some years to come, and I have enjoyed many flights on them over the years. Superb aircraft to fly in, but even Emirates have downgraded some services (eg EK 384/385 DXB-BKK-HKG) to the B777 (yeugh!!). At least the A350 is proving to be a popular choice.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=919043]

I for one, am very sad to see this. Where possible if I have a choice of flights, and consequent choice of aircraft, I will always go for the A380 over something like the 777. Far more spacious, comfortable and quieter.

Could not agree more. Qatar’s A380 has a cracking bar, EK have not only their bar but also the showers in 1st, which is a bit of a gimmick, but still very cool. Like you, if there’s an A380 on the route I am flying, I almost always opt for it. I normally fly into DXB on an older 777 and then onto an A380, whilst the seat on board is the same, everything else is better – especially the quietness. Oh, and I’ve never had to wait long on my luggage.

Does anyone know why EK have switched their allegiance from Boeing? That’s a pretty big Airbus order 40 x A330-900neo and 30 x A350-900’s!

Rgds.

AOTG.[/quote]

I had always thought the onboard bar was a bit of an unnecessary gimmick until I flew non-stop from Doha – Sydney which was about 16-ish hours. On long sectors like that the bar is an absolute joy. It was great to actually leave my seat for a while and go and sit at the bar. There’s only so much IFE content one can watch and it really helped having a small change of scenery.

4 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=919279]I had always thought the onboard bar was a bit of an unnecessary gimmick until I flew non-stop from Doha – Sydney which was about 16-ish hours. On long sectors like that the bar is an absolute joy. It was great to actually leave my seat for a while and go and sit at the bar. There’s only so much IFE content one can watch and it really helped having a small change of scenery.[/quote]

And as a “Y” social butterfly , it’s even more important to utilize space in a cleverer way .
    AF occasionally takes a bashing on here, however I’ve found their “Y” service good.
    And when you take in account their disregard for personal space by cramming in a tenth seat on the 777 their “help yourself to juice and snacks in the back galley “set up that leads to an impromptu stand up bar is a godsend for me.

I’ve stood at the back on other airlines but have always felt a bit uncomfortable, even being shooed away , or in the case of the KLM lady, matroned (Think Hattie Jacques) away from her charges !!

So with little space to spare on a 777, AF create an oasis away from your seat.
    With the 380, airlines could have been much more inventive with little loss of revenue space !!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m also very sad by this news. I love the A380, a love which is only slightly surpassed by my love of the B747-800, which remains my favourite and it seems is also being discontinued.

I’m probably living in dreamland, but perhaps one day aircraft manufacturers and airlines will see aircraft design from a passengers perspective. I read somewhere that even cattle have more space to move than does a passenger in economy on an airline!!

philsquares
    Participant

I will just give my perspective as a now retired Captain. I was at SQ when the order and delivery of the 380 occured. The common joke about the 380 was buy one get one free! From a pilot’s perspective it is not great (my opinion). I will say up front I am partial to Boeing, not having flown the 737, I can’t compare it to the 320 which I have flown. I flew the 757 and would take that over the 320 any day.

Boeing and Airbus have different design philosophies, in most areas. Personally, I think Boeing with its soft wing handles turbulence much better than Airbus. Wing loading plays a big part of the ride in turbulence but having flown the 747-400 and been in the cockpit of a 380 in similar conditions, the 400 gives a much better ride. Then there is the FBu philosophy of Airbus and Boeing. Having flown the 777/787 I prefer Boeing’s approach.

Finally just a few observations. The 380, for its size can carry virtually no cargo. SQ flew SIN-LHR which in the winter can be a long flight. The 380 would go out full and our 400 would too, we would carry 15 tonnes of cargo (real cargo not luggage) while the 380 would have none. SQ hated that because there is money in belly cargo. I have fone 16+ hours on a 400 DTW-SEL in the winter and we had no seats blocked and had full fuel and still carried cargo. The 747-8I ia even better.

So, I can’t say I am happy to see the 380 go, but I am not surprised.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=919393]Yes apparently “British Airways would love to buy more A380’s said Willie Walsh. Customers like them and the airline likes them.”[/quote]

WW would buy C-130 Hercules is the price was very good. He doesn’t give a damn about customer experience or working environment for the crews. What only matters for him is price. So if Airbus is desperate enough, we might unfortunately see more BA lorries. The despair is we could have the beautiful B747-8 instead, but Boeing can’t dump as much as Airbus…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I was at that press conference.
    I may be wrong, but the impression I got was quite a way from Willie Walsh expressing that sentiment.
    He said they were glad they’d bought the ones they had, and if Airbus had dropped the price, he’d have been interested in buying more, but since they wouldn’t, then he wouldn’t be buying any.
    And that was that.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I feel sad that A380 have to go. I flew this aircraft so many times – mainly in SQ in LHR-SIN sector – and like the quietness and steadiness during turbulence. In the said sector there was always turbulence over Poland at headwinds from Singapore to London and even with tailwinds over India and Bay of Bengal and there is huge flight comfort in A380 over say, B777.
    Although I travelled business class but used to walk in economy and found travellers are quite relaxed. Also the number of toilets are more in A380 per passenger ratio.
    The only thing I do not like about A380 is its profile.
    Although the production will stop in Y2022, but the existing aircrafts will continue to fly for at least another 15 years.
    So it is not immediate demise of this aircraft. SQ took some recent delivery and that
    will fly for 10 years and Emirates will surely fly these for many years.
    As the developing countries having a booming growth in air travellers and most of these countries have airport infrastructure constraints, I will not be surprised if I see second hand A380 flying between domestic congested routes in India and China.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

I have never been a lover of the A380 from an aesthetic point of view, an engineering success yes, but a bit of a plain Jane. I much prefer the B747 in all its variants. It is a pity the B747Intercontinental was not more of a success. I have only travelled once on an A380 and that was with QR in J and it was OK. As most of you know I avoid EK like the plague so not tried theirs, I did have to travel on an EK A330 once and the J class 2-3-2 was very cramped, good job I was only one of 6 passengers in the cabin. On my regular trips from the sandpit to home by BA I chat with the crew on the B744 Upper deck and they are not keen on the A380, I think it is the volume of people and the distances from galley to passengers, although that could be the crazy BA Configuration.
    I suppose at this time one could question the fleet planning of EK, have they over exposed themselves on the A380? landing at DWC last week I counted 9 x A380 in storage, engine covers in place and checking flightradar24 some have been there nearly a month, and this is before the Runway resurfacing work at DXB meaning more airframes to be placed in temporary storage. As for the replacement did EK not dispose of their fleet of A330’s?, then dramatically cancel the A350 order in favour of more A380’s and the B787 (which never confirmed). Now the 787 is out and the A350 and A330 (albeit Neo) back in. Seems a little crazy to me. But hey-ho I only work in this mad industry.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=919515]I suppose at this time one could question the fleet planning of EK, have they over exposed themselves on the A380? landing at DWC last week I counted 9 x A380 in storage, engine covers in place and checking flightradar24 some have been there nearly a month,[/quote]

Several crew members have told me the reason for this is crew shortages. EK train their crew very well, and are in demand from other carriers. As soon as the “payback” period has expired if they have a better job offer they go.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Y

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls