The effects of APD

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 91 through 92 (of 92 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Binman 62 writes that “passengers do not seem to have been put off in the least (by the rise in APD)”

I’m not so sure. Look at how domestic air travel is sickly right now, especially on cross-country routes. I don’t think this is solely because of the economic downturn.

Big rail firms report more business passengers on their core routes like London to Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Look at how canny overseas tourists visiting Europe are avoiding APD by making the UK their first point of arrival. They then fly home from an airport in mainland Europe.

Stena Line claims 20,000 Indian tourists travelled this way in 2011.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/media/news/increase-in-indian-tourists/

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn, I think there are two issues:
    1) data privacy, I believe Passports have simple info such as dob, location, physical description, secondary photo and fingerprints. There is no info on credit cards bank accounts or other personal data.
    2) Soveriegnty. After the war of Independence, the British did not recognize US documents but times have moved on. It is possible that some travel documents issued by newer small states might incur some difficulties The idea that a US Passport or a Passsport from an EEA member country would be refused due to its origin is as likely as BA or AA giving you something for nothing.
    My post was meant to shed some light on possible reasons for the data insularity we have. My personal wish is for less nationalism and much less regionalism and a more inclusive global approach to these things. Less roles for local politicians and more ease for travllers.

Viewing 2 posts - 91 through 92 (of 92 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls