The East Lounge, Dublin Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

The East Lounge is located midway between Terminals 1 & 2, alongside the Aer Club Lounge and Dublin Airport’s Executive Lounge, with which it shares great views of the airfield and (in the distance) Dublin mountains.

The East Lounge is primarily aimed at Business and First Class passengers travelling Eastwards on Emirates, Etihad Airways and Turkish Airlines. Vincent Harrison, Managing Director, Dublin Airport is quoted : “East Lounge is an oasis of calm offering customers the space to relax, to dine or to work before boarding their flight. The concept and design of the lounge has a uniquely Irish feel which is warm and welcoming with fantastic views of the airfield and Dublin mountains.”

The full text of the press release is:
    https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2019/09/13/dublin-airport-opens-new-premier-lounge-for-east-bound-passengers

I visited the East Lounge as a guest of Dublin Airport management. It is also pre-bookable for a charge of 50Euro for passengers whose tickets or airline status do not grant access. Given the quality of my experience, I believe this to be excellent value.

On entering the lounge I was greeted by a very friendly staff member and urged to enjoy my visit. I was very impressed with the décor and furnishings. There is a separate dining area and a range of seat types. There are small cubicles for those wishing to work in privacy. The logo for the lounge features discreetly on much of the furnishings.
    As it was morning, there was a breakfast buffet containing a wide range of hot and cold items, with cereals, fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, juices,pastries and breads. A small range of egg dishes is available freshly cooked from an a la carte menu. I found the hot breakfast really good, particularly the pork sausages (from a Co. Galway supplier). The food was regularly replenished during my visit.
    A very wide range of teas is available, and the coffee machine produced a truly excellent double espresso. The coffee cups also carry the lounge logo.
    The lounge staff are very friendly and are quick to clear tables. I was offered a drink from the bar, and indulged in a very pleasant glass of prosecco with my breakfast.
    The toilets, showers and a prayer room are reached via a small corridor (with lovely wood panelling). The Gents is beautifully finished with a small shower room. Towels are arranged in small pyramids which look very attractive. Toiletries are by “the Handmade Soap Company” and are excellent quality.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is available in the lounge, and there are numerous charging points provided.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to The East Lounge. The panoramic views over the airfield, the supremely comfortable seats, the high quality décor give a very strong sense of luxury immediately on entering. The staff are very friendly indeed, and the food & beverage are top quality. This is one of the nicest lounges I have experienced, and Dublin Airport are to be commended for taking the initiative in opening a premier lounge, and from my (all to brief) experience they have got it just right!

capetonianm
    Participant

Thank you for that. I assume if you pay anyone can use it and don’t have to be going east.
    I used to have access to the Aerclub lounge but my status has dropped and I probably no longer have it, but €50 sounds reasonable for a bit of peace and quiet.
    I could have used it a couple of years ago. I had a night out with some people from Aer Lingus and got back to my hotel at 0600 and was on an 1100 flight. I could have saved a night’s hotel and gone straight to the airport.

PatJordan
    Participant

Hi capetonianm,

I think it can be booked online, but at the moment I think only for passengers flying on Emirates, Etihad and Turkish Airlines.

I’d certainly be happy to pay 50Euro for a good meal and drink in a nice peaceful lounge.

That said, the Aer Club Lounge is open to all Aer Lingus passengers for about 25euro.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

At the time this lounge was built Dublin was served by Cathay Pacific and Hainan Airlines.

Sadly both carriers ceased operating to Dublin around the time the lounge opened … although Cathay Pacific says Hong Kong-Dublin is suspended and that service will restart next year.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Thanks Pat,

The website says..

“The East Lounge is Dublin Airport’s new premium lounge for those travelling east, where we aspire to deliver the perfect balance of Irish hospitality with touches of luxury. Included is freshly prepared food served directly to your table, an extensive choice of refreshments, privacy and tranquillity, all the luxury the modern traveller expects”

Hence I expect that it is not generally available to short haul PAX (or indeed to those departing long haul for North America)

However, on closer inspection, the website seems to allow one to book an entry to the East Lounge without any warning that you need to be flying east. Also, the meain banner on the loung booking section of the DAA website says

“Louunges …We offer an excellent service to all passengers regardless of airline or class of ticket”

So maybe one can pay the €50 and pre book a lunch entry just before your BA or Ryanair flight to London and have table waiter service and premium beverages?

SwissExPat
    Participant

DAA have confirmed via email that this East Lounge is available to ALL PASSENGERS.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s reported today that Dublin is expected to regain its direct link to mainland China in summer 2020. So more customers for the East Lounge.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls