The curious incident of the chatter in the night…

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hermes1964
    Participant

Reluctant as I am to start another BA discussion I feel the need to vent on something that has driven me mad for years.

Came back in First from New York last week in Row 5 (not that I think that would have made much difference). From the get go the pervading sound in the funky blue cabin was the raised voices of cabin crew in the forward galley talking about something and nothing. Largely about the hotel accommodation in NY, the lack of wifi, the joys of back to backs, my new handbag etc.

Now I’m not expecting complete silence but when this is in raised voices for all to hear I do object. It started on the ground and continued for at least the first hour of a rather haphazard service. The galley curtain behind me remained open pouring light into the otherwise dimmed cabin. Interspersing the chit chat came shouted orders – “one cheese and biscuits and one cup of tea”, “two bannofee pies with champagne” – it was more like being in an NY diner (etc the orders kept getting confused) than a premium cabin.

I’ve frequently encountered the same problem in the upper deck – funnily enough though on the outbound the solicitous duo were quiet and efficient in a friendly way and chose not to share their gossip with the assembled cast.

The noise in F was a significant detractor from what was otherwise a reasonably comfortable set up (I actually found the seat/bed very comfortable and I didn’t notice the cramped cabin once seated – though struggled a bit with the lack of storage). And I actually quite liked the food and service in the Concorde Room.

Have to say though that when I checked out that if I’d been paying for my return in J/F for three it would have cost £23K rather than however many avios + tax, I’m left in no doubt that it is very poor value for money.

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

You don’t mention whether you had had a word with the crew and voiced your concerns in person. I would have done.

It’s amazing how many people come online and complain after the event has passed.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@Hermes1964, you should get yourself some quality noise-cancelling headphones like, for example, the Bose QuietControl 30, and you can filter that stuff right out.

OK, they might not solve the “pouring light” issue 🙁

nevereconomy
    Participant

Sorry, but if that had been me, the CSD would have been politely summonsed, that curtain would have been closed and I would have asked for the chat volume to be seriously reduced. It has never caused an issue when handled carefully.I have actually on occasion just closed the curtain myself. Of course the dreaded 777 is another matter, where you have F between 2 galleys (wondeful BA design) and the disturbance from the Club galley can be considerable and to some extent unavoidable, though again I have asked for the locker slamming to be kept to minimum, with some success. If I am paying several grand for something, it had better be right! And of course if on an award, those points did not come free of charge………….

GivingupBA
    Participant

It shouldn’t have happened and I sympathize with you. Personally though, after decades travelling I quickly just put the noise-cancelling headphones on when awake/ sitting up: earplugs in and eyeshades on when resting/ lying down.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Earphones are the answer and I leave them on when I sleep too, though ofcourse choose a mid cabin seat when you can and requesting or closing the galley curtains in sleeping time is always acceptable.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I find noise cancelling headphones can make it worse, if travelling on a quiet aircraft like a 787 or A380, as they cancel steady noise, which does not include people talking.

The answer is cabin crew who are properly trained to provide a level of service comensurate with a premium cabin, which includes taking steps to reduce noise in the proximity of the passengers trying to sleep.

Unfortunately, BA does not understand (as acompany) who to provide a proper F service, though there are some older cabin crew who have the know-how.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=792928]

The answer is cabin crew who are properly trained to provide a level of service comensurate with a premium cabin, which includes taking steps to reduce noise in the proximity of the passengers trying to sleep.

Unfortunately, BA does not understand (as acompany) who to provide a proper F service, though there are some older cabin crew who have the know-how.

[/quote]

I agree 100% – you should not have to wear bulky noise cancelling headphones to cut the needless noise of the crew. This has happened to me several times with BA on Atlantic crossings (but strangely, not so much on Asia flights). The last one I recall was 3 female crew loudly discussing the merits of certain handbags (not a joke) for more than an hour, at full volume, whilst we tried to get some sleep.

And please don’t get me started on locker slamming – that’s a whole other story but it has to be said that certain ignorant passengers are just as bad as the crew….

Defcon5
    Participant

@Hermes1964 – try the Virgin Dreamliner next time you’re off to NYC. Have done it twice since New Year and it is a far better experience than BA F. My TMC suggested this and I must say, I’m really impressed and will chose this product now over anything else. Clubhouse is excellent too with a great tapas menu, price is often a lot cheaper than BA too!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On overnight flights would it be such a big change for cabin crew to include in the welcome announcements not to slam shut overhead bins, but by holding the latch open, they can be closed silently AND for the crew to lead by example…

I agree 100% with seasonedtraveller about should we need to wear noise cancelling headphones when sleeping. This is basic customer service & must be a training issue. The galley is not a social area for the crew to disturb passengers. There are crew rest areas, but there again, the sleeping crew using this area, may object to the chitter chatter….

openfly
    Participant

Downstairs Club on the BA A380 is appalling. The constant raucous laughter, shouting, incessant chatter, slamming, clinking…..the poor lambs seem to think that pulling the curtain across stops all the noise. Absolutely unaware that there are 40 premium passengers unable to sleep due to their lack of consideration. Tell the CSM and instant silence…for 5 minutes, then it starts again.
    It’s an indication that BA crews are untrained in passenger comfort and attitude, unlike VS, IB, QR, LH, QF, AF…..proper airlines!
    Sick to death with BA crew galley noise, especially the Mixed-Fleet kids in the playground…..

jsn55
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more about the noise. It’s incomprehensible that these people are so ignorant and/or uncaring. I have been flying Continental/United forever. I finally chatted with an FA a few months ago on this subject and I swear, he didn’t have any idea what I was talking about. He just stared at me as I tried to explain it a couple of different ways. Like I wasn’t speaking English. I prefer to sit on the aisle in the first row so I have nobody leaning back into my computer. So I am ‘front and center’ for the noise. For some reason I never remember to grab my music before takeoff, so that makes it even worse. And of course the best part is when service is finished and ALL of them gather in the front galley. WTH aren’t they in the BACK galley making all that noise? I don’t want to confront FAs who are loudly yapping away, I suspect I’d just get attitude instead of understanding. Isn’t there something that can be done without direct confrontation?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls