The Complete Airport

Back to Forum

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Inquisitive 20 Apr 2019
at 06:34

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Another trip completed and another trip where I have had to navigate through incomplete airports.
    And it got me thinking about an airport I’ve visited that doesn’t seem to be in a constant state of construction. And I can’t think of one ?

EDI is a mess, seems the only thing not being upgraded is the inadequate access road.
    HKG has decided to build an exterior bus park, annoyingly moving it back outside to almost the same spot to where it was 2 -3 years ago.
    FRA seems to be developing into something, just not sure what that might be.

Has anyone out there visited an airport that is “Complete”

No cranes.
    No boarded up walls with “Coming Soon” signs
    No diversions along shabby corridors .

An airport that is happy with itself?

w8ster
    Participant

The only one I can think of is Muscat Airport but it did open about a month ago 😉 I was there about 2 weeks after the opening and quite impressed that everything seems to be operational like a well oiled machine. I don’t remember seeing leftover equipment or cranes. Didn’t know it was 2 weeks old at the time (I did think it looked brand new) until the taxi driver pointed out from a distance the now old abandoned terminal.

SIN seems to be building a new terminal every time I get in. HKG appears to have digging going on all the time.. DXB about to shut one run way for 6 weeks.. Lets not get started with LHR.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

For me Changi is the most complete airport. Having lived in Singapore for 19 years and in Asia for 24+ years, it rarely goes pear shaped. Even the new runway is almost out of sight. The Jewel adss to the feeling that you are not in an airport. It is probably the only airport I can think of where , if your flight is delayed, it is not a hardship. HKG is a close second and as I transit a lot through there that aspect is seamless

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Zurich?

Even when there is work it is so smoothly handled that one barely notices.

Folium
    Participant

A truly impressive completed airport has to be Naypyidaw International in Myanmar.
    Like the city of the same name, impressive in scale and blissfully quiet.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Folium….Is that because no-one knows where Naypyidaw is????

1 user thanked author for this post.

Folium
    Participant

More a case of no one cares to humour the generals and Yangon or Mandalay make for far more interesting gateways to Burma/Myanmar.

esselle
    Participant

I travel to Doha four times a year on business, and find HIA very solid, with minimal if any disruption since its opening, save for the transit train airside which was a bit slow to get off the ground.

There is a never ending stream of work going on outside to extend/build new piers, but this seems to have no impact on the traveller.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have to agree, there is a huge amount of work going on for the new runway and the 5th Terminal in SIN but there is no impact on the other 4 terminals and generally everything runs smoothly …

Montysaurus
    Participant

I am not as widely travelled as many of you but the only airports I ever recall not having work done are Tiree and Barra. Possibly the other Western Isles airports are complete. I suspect there is some scientific law that ensures airports are continuously in a state of flux. Let’s call it Wrights’ Law.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Suvarnabhumi doesn’t seem to have any work going on. It just looks as though it was never finished in the first place!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

Another trip completed and another trip where I have had to navigate through incomplete airports. And it got me thinking about an airport I’ve visited that doesn’t seem to be in a constant state of construction. And I can’t think of one ? …. Has anyone out there visited an airport that is “Complete” An airport that is happy with itself?

I really see what you mean, and feel your pain, and it does seem to be a constant of visiting many airports these days/ years, but my uninformed take on it is that this is not about an airport being “happy with itself”, but about airports constantly having to expand and/ or upgrade because of greatly increasing passenger numbers and freight amounts….. hard for governments to foresee and plan for on the very long time frame required, perhaps….

JJ
    Participant

Mauritius Airport was quite impressive. when we left we arrived at it at night and it looked like an alien spaceship had landed. We even got to walk the Red Carpet into the premium security which was a nice touch. The lounge had good food, and the attendants even prepared me these fantastic authetic wraps.

Only problem was direct flights returning to the UK were either early morning or late night.

Maaki
    Participant

Definitely MUC !
    I have been to really many airports across Europe, the US (most of them a nightmare..) and some other places (like BOM/Mumbai), but Munich is the only airport, which is clean (and I mean “Clean”) and all staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Combine this with state-of-the-art security checks and extremely nice lounges (the 1st class one in Terminal 2/new part or the “Senator coffee shop”) and you have a really good working airport.
    Not for nothing the first (and still the only?) 5 star airport in Europe.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Many airports have to expand to keep with the growing demands.
    Some do it very smartly so that either it is not noticed by passengers or minimal inconvenience to them.

Many Asian airports are like that, Singapore and Bangkok are already mentioned, Delhi, Mumbai, Jakarta, Seoul, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur are few examples where passengers comfort is not diluted.
    Houston and Los Angeles are 2 USA examples where passengers inconveniences were minimal when they expanded.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls