The blame ME3 game

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

Hi MrMichael,
    Not knowing what industry you’re in , or indeed the regulators you have to comply with, I’m going to air on the side of caution and not question , what at first glance seems to be your rather harsh passing probationary policy. Specifically the “sack everybody at 5 months and twenty five days unless you have a damn good reason not to”.

And you’re right about the problems caused by recruiters and more importantly, if you’re using your criteria, people who decide on passes at the 6 months cut off.
    If they are averagely mediocre themselves, they’re more likely to identify mediocrity as average and acceptable. Thus the downward spiral in performance begins.

And you’re also right about the importance of the probationary period over recruitment. Not for the first and damn sure not for the last time , I’ll come across a person who’ll surprise me when they actually are allowed to get on with it.

On another topic a contributor was surprised at the lack of foreign speaking cabin crew on a european BA flight. Could this be evidence of the start of the dumbing down process?

EU_Flyer
    Participant

canucklad – 14/12/2015 13:41 GMT

” On another topic a contributor was surprised at the lack of foreign speaking cabin crew on a european BA flight. Could this be evidence of the start of the dumbing down process? “

As much as I love BA, I have also noticed on the Mixed Fleet flights that the crew are becoming less and less international – the suggestion being that the talented multilingual people who BA used to attract are now being lured by exotic lifestyles in the ME rather than minimum wage pain living in London.

Being a multicultural country – part of BA’s historic appeal as the flag flying national carrier was that their crew reflected this . BA were the airline everyone used to want to work for.

I wonder if this is still the case given that many young talented multilingual aspiring cabin crew / ground staff applicants are now being lured south to Dubai and beyond.

Sure many would prefer to stay in the UK with family etc but many others are probably attracted to the ex-pat lifestyle EK and Etihad offer their customer facing staff – both in the air and on the ground – even if just for a few years.

That said, perhaps BA are looking to become more ‘British’ and less ‘international’ ?

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls