The Amazing Spirit of the Italians

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

If anyone needs their spirits raising, look at and listen to some of these You Tube clips. One in particular, genuinely bought tears to my eyes.

I spoke to some friends in Bergamo last night and whilst they have taken part in the singing and clapping, they were unaware of the number of clips flying around the internet.

I know these are very serious times, but the spirit of the Italians is admired.

6 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Freccie Tricolori flypast with Pavarotti’s Nessun dorma heard in the background.

https://aeronewsglobal.com/video-a-message-from-frecce-tricolori-stay-strong-italy/

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

And what do the British do – fight old people for the last packet of pasta – beginning to understand why this country has become so unpleasant.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

Italy was not without its panic buying, and the panic buying started over in HK weeks ago. whilst the italians will bring such fine culture to keep spirits up, I have seen some excellent examples of British trench humour!

2 users thanked author for this post.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

As if I needed any reminding of why Senior Management and I have fallen in love with this wonderful country, this is genuinely tear inducing.

I fear that we are about to embark upon an experience which will leave as deep a scar on our collective and individual memory as that of the Wall Street crash of the 1930s – with the fallout that it provoked.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Meanwhile in Italy.

Meanwhile in #Italy. Amazing!

Posted by Greek Gateway on Saturday, 14 March 2020

4 users thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

…and the Italian Government is set to renationalise flag carrier Alitalia, according to BBC!

capetonianm
    Participant

WhatsApp-Image-2020-03-17-at-10.25.40

4 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Italy always had a much higher level of social interaction than other countries, hence the greater number of cases. They also have a more ageing population so tragically more deaths than other countries. But indeed, incredibly, their spirits remain high.

Here in Ticino, next to Italy, things are dire with almost everyone staying at home. Most companies now allow their employees to work from home so Lugano is empty. Almost all shops are closed and all cafes, bars and restaurants have shut. There has been very litle panic buying and for the time being food shops are well stocked.

I was able to stock up on cigars (must get priorities right ;-)) as the shop was still open, but limited to one person at a time and keeping a distance of 1 metre from the counter. I always kept a good stock of dried food, pasta, tuna fish, sardines (and cigars of course) etc etc, just in case, and Mrs.LP always moaned at me for doing so. Now she is glad we did! I guess it was memories of my parents always talking about rationing during and after the war that instilled this in me. My Aunt’s larder was always very well stocked and she only bought a fridge in 1985!!

everhopeful
    Participant

Above is a joke notice and is one of many humorous posts on social media. The town mentioned doesn’t exist. There is a real spirit of unity in Italy at moment and of comradery.

3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I did think it might have been a joke. Given the context I thought the little bit of light humour would brighten our days in these dark times.

I didn’t bother to check … I hope no offence was caused to anyone. Normally when I post things here I check for authenticity, I didn’t think it mattered in this case.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I shared the “news” with two assistants in local Sainsbury’s this morning. Even if it was a joke, certainly made me laugh.

Still no toilet rolls, long life milk or canned beans but plenty of soya milk, quinoa and pasta sauce. One assistant even replenishing Easter egg display…

canucklad
    Participant

Spirit of our Italians comrades definitely to be commended …..

Now working from home I need to decide what supermarket to head to , as I’m now needing to stock up…
    Good news is I’ve definitely got choices as the big chains have finally taken action against the hysterical and have placed purchased limits on their most popular sellers due to the Coronavirus panic buying

ASDA – 2 hand sanitisers and a 4 pack of toilet paper per visit
    TESCO- 1 hand sanitiser, 1Kg of rice and a 4 pack of toilet paper
    WAITROSE – 1 lobster, 6 quail eggs, and 100gms of Foie Gras
    ALDI- 1 MIG welder, a pink sports bra, 2 plastic trumpets and a wet suit

Keep calm and keep shopping great British consumers

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=993851][/postquote]

We have a large number of convenience stores (here in North london) within a km of where we live. Apart from hand sanitisers, we have been able to get everything at all times. Yes, the cost is a little bit more, but a lot more satisfactory contributing to small businesses, often run by the owners.

A local Tesco Express out of all the usual panic bought stuff – and across the road, opposite, a convenience store fully stocked.

GivingupBA
    Participant

capetonianm wrote, “I hope no offence was caused to anyone.”

Absolutely not – it was funny and made me laugh – thanks for posting it.

Re panic buying/ hoarding, I’m in South Korea as I’ve said. 2 days ago we went to a huge supermarket. There were loads of shoppers there (all wearing masks). Out of interest I examined everyone’s trolley as they passed us, and there was absolutely no sign of panic buying or hoarding in anyone’s trolley. All the shelves were also full, as usual.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls