The Age of Enlightenment reaches the airline sector

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Of course, a woman could never run an airline (or be queen, prime minister or anything that is difficult).

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/qatar-airways-ceo-woman-conference-iata-sydney-akbar-al-baker-a8383921.html

Hardly the wisdom of Cnut?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Completely with you there FDOS. What a load of baloney.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

perhaps a lady would do a better job that him (is he worried or just a dinosaur), running a loss making airline with rubbish economy class food (based on my not to be repeated trip to BKK with them)

canucklad
    Participant

Hey AST, are you suggesting that women are better cooks?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I’m still trying to work out why he employs female pilots but doesn’t think a woman could do his job.

Perhaps his new role should be deferred whilst he takes some lessons in gender equality at all levels!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Before slagging off Al-Baker, I was given to reflecting on the comments made by FTSE100 chairmen (with the emphasis on “men”) – and as reported last week – to the question of why there were still so few women on FTSE100/250 boards. Al-Baker’s remarks would sit very comfortably with many of the blowhard troglodytes and reactionaries that run so many UK-listed companies. These comments included “we’ve already got one woman on our board; that’s enough….” and “I’m unsure that women are up to the strain, stress and pressure of being on a main board….” I’m not aware of anyone actually offering the remark that women are best left chained to a stove but it would hardly surprise me if the view is not quite widely held.

Mysogyny is far from being the preserve of Gulf-based business leaders.

Defcon5
    Participant

He looks like a real life Mr. Burns

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

What an astonishing comment for him to make over the gender for his position as CEO of QR. Despite the attempt to later retract his comments he has sealed his opinion for lack of gender equality within the industry. What an idiot.

capetonianm
    Participant

Not an idiot, just a chauvinist pig whose attitude is common in his culture, and is encouraged by people who fly with the ME3 airlines.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

While I agree to the culture , but he has to have a global perspective in his position.But there again he is the only National of the ME3 that I know of?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve merged these threads.

Looks like the apologies have started

Qatar Airways boss apologizes for comment that a woman couldn’t do his job

Akbar Al Baker, reportedly stunned reporters when asked about poor representation of women in Middle East aviation, saying of his own role as Qatar Airways CEO:

“Of course, it has to be led by a man, because it is a very challenging position.”

In a statement, the CEO said he would like to offer “heartfelt apologies for any offence caused by my comment yesterday.”

Inquisitive
    Participant

AnthonyDunn
    +100
    Before commenting people shall check what western countries done so far on inclusion and diversity.
    I see hardly any Woman CEO in large UK or European companies. Actually developing countries are doing much better job on this.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Canucklad – i am suggesting that they’d be comparable to any male manager, except the incompetent CEO (and that he is the one doing a poor job, perhaps its too complex for him)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=869130]AnthonyDunn

+100

Before commenting people shall check what western countries done so far on inclusion and diversity.

[/quote]

Between 2007-2017, women’s board representation in FTSE 100 companies increased from 11% to 28%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_CEOs_of_Fortune_500_companies

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/work/just-who-are-the-7-women-bosses-of-the-ftse-100/

Another awkward reality is that the genders are not necessarily looking for the same engagement at work, e.g. In 2016, almost two-thirds (63%) of working women used flexible work arrangements, compared to 44% of working men – I have never been an advocate of forcing women into the same work arrangements as men, against their will – that risks damage to society.

To assess these differences (and gender pay differences) requires some careful multivariate analysis.

However, to get back to the point of this thread, we tend to say what we think and our thinking tends to drive our behaviour – so rather than looking around for snowflake reasons to feel guilty, let’s acknowledge that we (in the UK) are part way through a journey that started back in the 1900s and Mr Al Baker’s words suggest he is some way behind in developing his mental model, though the apologies flowing out may indicate an acceleration of this.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

You will note, in the second paragraph of the statement that it states Qatar Airways firmly believes…..

It does not state that Mr Al Baker believes. A very legal type apology.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls