That Wonderful Country Called Canada

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Sami
    Participant

Countries whose citizens are disgracefully having fistfights in supermarkets over toilet paper and pasta (Australia, the UK, the US to name a few) can learn a lot from that wonderfully reasonable and staid country called Canada. No wonder it always tops lists for the most habitable country in the world and one of the happiest people on Earth. Canadian airports are not experiencing the chaos of American airports and all Canadian airlines have issued clear policies on how they are dealing with this epidemic. Look how Canadians are dealing with the Coronavirus epidemic:

1 – The PM’s wife tests positive. She and her husband go into self-quarantine quietly and respectably. Imagine the media circus in America if Trump tested positive and went into quarantine .

2 – The New York Times and USA Today both have mentioned that Canada has barely experienced the panic buying going on in most Western countries dealing with corona. Exceptions are of course always there but very far and few.

3 – The Canadian government approved a $10 Billion dollar plan to combat the virus without much partisan bickering.

4 – Canadian media has been dealing with the epidemic factually and analytically not hysterically

6 users thanked author for this post.

richardofFrancepp
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more. Last year crossed Canada by train from Montreal to Vancouver, followed by crossing USA from Seattle to New York. In all cases by individual sleeping cabin.

The comparison between the two journeys was unbelievably different. In Canada the crews were good and attentive and made the journey really enjoyable. In the USA the crews did their job and showed no interest.

Yes Canada is a great place.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I would add Singapore, where I am now, to that list as well. No panic and the PM gave a tv broadcast on Friday whihc was described as being excellent i.e. measured and reassuring.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Much if the hysteria is created by the media .. ‘news sells’

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Exactly, probably not practical but ban media coverage or close down the media for a few days and see what happens.
    I am sure all the mad stupid hysteria over panic buying was media generated.
    In deepest darkest Hampshire at a local supermarket the other day a woman (at least i think it was) trailing 3 snotty kids – who ‘only got colds’ in her words, asked me if i was buying toilet roll, i replied to the negative at which she asked if i would buy a pack the supermarket was limiting purchases to one pack per person (all 3 kids had a pack) and she would pay me outside. I asked why she needed so much toilet paper her reply was to me priceless – “well you ave to aintcha that wot the Sun said we need to cure dis alcovirus stuff”
    Needless to say it was NOT Waitrose, serves myself right for popping into a local TESCO.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

When a government creates a void – as in the UK through wilful inaction – they create a space that a rapacious, sensationalist meedjah (much of which has long since eschewed basic journalistic norms such as recognising the difference between truth and falsehood) fills with ease – and an accompanying lack of moral compass.

Thankfully, there are relatively few countries which demonstrate both the very best and the very worst of modern meedjah practices.

2 users thanked author for this post.

fatbear
    Participant

[postquote quote=993584][/postquote]

This looks to be out-of-date with the panic buying following the restrictions announced by Malaysia ?

The BBC reported “Malaysia is also the source of much of Singapore’s food, particularly fresh produce. And despite government assurances food would not run out, the lockdown sparked another burst of panic-buying in Singapore”.

fatbear
    Participant

I don’t know if instances of panic-buying in Canada are few and far between, but a number of Canadian posters on TripAdvisor have been complaining about it going on in their neighbourhoods…

sleak76
    Participant

According to https://globalnews.ca/news/6688655/coroanvirus-canadians-food-shortages/, the Canadians have changed course since.

SimonS1
    Participant

Not sure where the OP has actually been, however stories about panic buying in Canada first surfaced several days ago.

‘It’s madness’: Panic buying leaves long lines and empty shelves at grocers across country

Many countries have approved rescue packages including the UK and USA. I have heard little partisan politics anywhere, only people genuinely having a view and challenging whether governments are doing everything possible.

I have seen a lot of community spirit where I live, offers to help the elderly etc.

The stock market in Canada hasn’t performed better than anywhere else (in fact less well than S&P last time I looked) so it would appear the business community are not quite as excited as the OP.

Sami
    Participant

The same article in globalnews states that panic buying in Canada is not even close to the hysteria experienced in the US, UK and Australia.

sleak76
    Participant

I don’t see that article mentioning the UK or even Australia. They only spoke of the reality of their own panic buying behavior.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls