Thames Hub

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

I do not see why OCDP brings up the question of a new airport in the Thames estuary on a completely new thread.

Though not a frequent contributor he/she did have his/her say on 7/8/11 in the thread dealing with the “Moylan Report” which seems to suggest – Big Dog – that OCDP is more well versed in the discussion than leads us to believe. I come to only one conclusion about this – that OCDP has a special interest in promoting this project.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/The-Moylan-Report-A-New-Airport-for-London?page=3

As BigDog has pointed out this subject has been talked about endlessly. Most of the arguments have shown that an Estuary airport is a non-starter. So as not to bore anybody with unnecessary repetition I refer OCDP to my own contribution on the same thread on page 2.
    27/01/2011 11:38 GMT

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/The-Moylan-Report-A-New-Airport-for-London?page=2

canucklad
    Participant

You actually have to laugh at the sheer scale of absurdity that BIgDogs post has highlighted…….

– A New Airport in the Thames Estuary
    – The Moylan Report – A new Airport for London
    – Boris Island
    – London Heathrow 3rd Runway Ahead
    – LHR Capacity
    – Schipol is Heathrow’s 3rd Runway
    – One Hub or None
    – 4 Runways 4 Heathrow.

When was the first thread on this subject started ….3 years ago!!

There is surely enough written evidence (including links) just on this forum for any comittee to come up with at least an interim finding !

Procasternation and manyana…….with a bit of apathy and Justine self serving flour thrown in, makes a great recipe for building nothing !

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

BigDog. – 05/06/2013 11:53 GMT
    Do we really need another thread starting on what is probably the most discussed (posted about) subject on the forum already?

Does that particular mantle (wooden spoon) not belong to VB for their never-ending posts about this food and drinks thing that no one is going to?

Maybe just my fertile imagination…..

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

VintageKrug – 05/06/2013 12:17 GMT
    What’s really needed is a clear and compelling proposition for what could be done with the Heathrow site once it’s closed.

We could sell it to the French as a nuclear test site.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 05/06/2013 15:03 GMT
    We could sell it to the French as a nuclear test site.

Could we do it now?

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Bucksnet
    Participant

There has never, as far as I can recall, been any proper explanation as to why Heathrow HAS to close because another airport is opened.

And yes, who is going to compensate Heathrow for eliminating their business?

O.C.D.P
    Participant

Sorry Transtraxman, the only special interest I have in the development in any future solution is only that of a concerned 29yr old citizen, concerned about the future well being of his country and growing increasingly frustrated by point scoring politicians and the prevalent public penchant for finding a million reasons not to do something rather than embracing opportunities and doing something to make a difference for the future! What is happening to the can do, get up and go attitude that once made us the envy of the world?

BigDog.
    Participant

It has already been discussed in these threads

– A New Airport in the Thames Estuary
    – The Moylan Report – A new Airport for London
    – Boris Island
    – London Heathrow 3rd Runway Ahead
    – LHR Capacity
    – Schipol is Heathrow’s 3rd Runway
    – One Hub or None
    – 4 Runways 4 Heathrow.

Please read up on them – posters have contributed extensively on the subject for over 3 years and shouldn’t have to repeat their views/position so you can play catch-up.

@AllOverTheGaff – 05/06/2013 15:02 GMT – I stand corrected sir.
    @transtraxman – 05/06/2013 14:38 GMT – I agree it isn’t as innocent as it initially appears, being pushed as though it is a special interest maybe to gain “editorial backing”.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ultimately LHR will become too small, even with a forth runway. The fact it’s being discussed now is a good example of forward thinking. With growing population, especially in London and the S.E. not to mention business growth and more people travelling to more destinations, another airport will become a must.

Where it’s to be sited is still a matter of speculation, though I favour an airport in the N. Sea linking The Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. Such a massive infrastructure project would employ hundreds of thousands and help kick the UK out of the economic doldrums.

As to LHR should it close, the land it’s on and the development potential is probably worth twenty times and more the current market value cap of LHR, which would easily compensate all and provide the cash to fund a new airport.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. OCDP, I see you’re a relatively new member to the forum so welcome and don’t be put off by some posters comments. If you wish to revisit a subject then please do so as far as I’m concerned. If everyone’s had their say and the subject is exhausted, you won’t get any replies. The fact we’ve gone to almost p. 3 shows its still of interest and new perspectives on this important subject are I think always welcome.

Bucksnet
    Participant

There is no way that any development potential of the Heathrow site is worth twenty times the current value.

And why would the owners of Heathrow fund their competition?

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Heathrow site could easily be worth billions if sold/redeveloped.

Considerably more than the present land valuation, with its limited use.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls