Thailand Pass – Quarantine or no Quarantine…?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Made it after 3 flights, 4 airports and 2 airlines (and my file of papers). COVID was the cause, but how the airlines are trying to encourage people to fly again, with the ridiculous bureaucracy, duplicated paperwork, daily changing paperwork and continual flight cancelations, is simply mind blowing.

Having navigated the paperwork, created a checklist and made a paper file, which was checked and re checked – I thought I had all bases covered … huh!

A big thank you to my Travel Counsellor, Tim Fitzgerald. How anyone travels long haul using multiple sectors / airlines & self manages is mind boggling. Tim handled and is still handling any flight changes, cancelations, and changes (still ongoing) – with a smile and professional reassurance.

Heathrow to Amsterdam – 1st hurdle. Despite me being in transit in AMS, BA could not check me in until I had completed a Dutch health declaration, which could not easily be found to download. In the end, the wonderful T5 agents managed to override the system to get me checked in, managed to provide a paper version from their office which was just a statement I needed to sign to confirm I had no covid symptoms. Naturally this piece of paper was never used or shown in AMS. Whilst I was travelling on 1 PNR, I was using 2 separate tickets, so the computer may have thought I was remaining in AMS. London though could not issue any boarding cards for the next 2 sectors.

Flight to AMS was delayed by 20 minutes as transit passengers from the USA had been refused boarding due to incorrect papers for entry into Netherlands – bags being removed. How did they manage to get boarding cars without correct paperwork? Perhaps requirements had changed whilst they were enroute?

Amsterdam – I was told, by BA, no problem about not having onward boarding cards, just go to flight connections/transit in AMS, where they will be issued. Went to all five, not a human in sight & the automatic machines would not issue, as documents needed to be checked. At one point it was suggested to go landside to check in – absolutely no way was I going to enter Netherlands, in case I got caught in any additional or new covid protocols.

Frantic calls from Tim who was worried the flight was going to close without me having boarding cards issued. I waited at the gate and found others in my predicament. Eventually the boarding gate opened and passes were issued. Found it strange to be wondering around an airport for 3 hours with no onward boarding card, but AMS is one of the few airports where arrival and departing passengers mix (which in the past has been advantageous). Interesting there was no problem getting into the lounge with no boarding card.

DOHA – if you need to see how international travel has rebounded, transit Doha. You wouldn’t believe there were any travel issues. However, a couple of things worth mentioning. Parked at a remote stand with a 20-minute bus ride to the terminal. What a pleasure to be bussed in and NOT being crammed like sardines. 2 business class busses for about 40 passengers. Sensible and easy transit, through security in less than 5 minutes. Terminal was very busy. Went to a very nice business lounge restaurant (sorry forgot the name, but it was up some stairs in the QR lounge) but was put off with food as being handpicked by some passengers, with staff not wanting to challenge. The boarding gate for BKK was a complete mess with 2 flights boarding in close proximity. Covid spacing similar to a BA bus transfer, anywhere in the world. I held back and boarded last. Passengers’ papers were all being checked at the gate and my Thailand pass checked again at the top of the boarding jetty.

Bangkok – arrived!! On the downwind leg had a great view of the airport from my window. Going past the airport and out over the water, before turning base to final, did not see any other aircraft on the approach. Even after clearing the runway, the usual following landing, was not there. Parked at the furthest end of the pier. Walking along the corridors, only saw airport staff, no other passengers, or arrivals. Very sad.

Approached a very well organised document screening. Asked to sit in one of a line of chairs, which I had seen on news channels. Approached immediately for my documents, which were checked by one of the many staff on duty. Only when documents had been checked was I allowed to approach the desk for the formal checking. This clearly saved time because you remained seated until all papers were prepared and ready for checking. Lots of people were scrambling for wifi to download correct documents, which was strange as they had all been checked, at least twice previously, check in and boarding gate.

Covid documents all checked, in a matter of minutes. On to an empty and I mean EMPTY immigration hall. Despite no q’s, there was still one DYKWIA, insisting to be shown to a FAST track line. Words failed me.

When completing the Thai pass application, I am sure I read the immigration arrival card was not now needed. I had completed one just in case and it was needed.

Through to my hotel collection point in 15 minutes from leaving the aircraft and from the further gate on the pier.

Quarantine – up to 1 night depending on when the results of the mandatory PCR test had been completed. My hotel had arranged a 1-hour test at their associated hospital. This was completed, onto the hotel and by the time I had unpacked and showered, phone had rung – all clear, quarantine over. All in all from landing to end of quarantine it took 2 hours and first meeting was within 3 hours of landing.

Changes – a lot of staff changes at the hotel, local 7/11’s and small shops along Sukhumvit closed, plenty of shop renovation going on. The road from the airport until the first toll was empty, then there was a lot more traffic. Although I have most meals in the hotel, made a couple of restaurant reservations for the visit, my usual favourites were still in business and open. Some bars along the route appeared open, went for a short walk last night, side walks were not that busy. But Thailand/BKK is now open (for how long who knows).

Best part of the trip so far, being disturbed in the executive lounge by 3 other regular guests from different parts of the world, who I had got to know over the years. Once again, we were all staying at the hotel at the same time, unplanned. The hotel GM has arranged a lunch for us all at KISSO – a wonderful treat for us regulars to meet and get to know each other again,

Summary (so far) – certainly not an easy trip as far as the travel is concerned and I still have a further cancellation to deal with on my return sectors. Lost count of the number of sectors that had been cancelled or changed in this booking process and I have 1 sector (SIN to BKK) that is in the bank waiting to be used. I missed the SIN stop and K1ngston’s whisky collection and hospitality (and meetings). I thankfully avoided the strict prisoner style quarantines. HKG, a key destination for me remains firmly closed. If airlines are stopping services to protect their crews, this really does show the severity of HKG protocols. For me though, Asia is beginning to open for us Brits for business travel. As for a family wanting to come for leisure travel; until more direct flights restart and prices start to come down, you need to decide whether the paperwork challenge along with continual flight changes are worth what is trying to be achieved.

One final comment. A few friends, colleagues and family had raised concern about me travelling at this time and especially to Asia. As I found in Malta, mask and covid protocols are fully in force and 95% people (I have seen so far) respect and comply. Off course I have seen a few who appear to think rules do not apply to them (guess where most of them come from)!! I must get used to wearing a polythene glove when using utensils at any hotel food service station. Sky train this morning 100% mask wearers and if you don’t comply with the rules, you will very quickly will. I do feel safe here and irrespective of my views, I happily respect and comply with the covid protocols here.

I am very happy to be back at work in Thailand/Asia at least for the next week.

LaundryMan
    Participant

A really interesting and thought provoking yet measured report on the current status of travelling to Far East

Appreciate the information shared and shows the current state of air travel

1 user thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Hi Martyn
    Many thanks inded for this, very well written and much appreciated. Stay safe!!
    BPP

PeterCoultas
    Participant

A pity that nothing seems to be improving. A trip to Thailand would be great IF !!!…. all the incompetent governments are clearly only competent at making matters worse… my first year in 65 (now 83) when I haven’t had several great trips or work outside the UK and there are 3 red list countries in Africa I’d still love to tick on my list…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tramor01
    Participant

Hi Martyn, thanks for the informative write up.
    I’m aiming (fingers crossed, and Omicron permitting) to get out in January, but leaving it to the last minute before booking.
    I’m assuming the travel restrictions regarding visiting other provinces have been eased as I need to travel up northto Phetchabun.
    Hopefully we can catch up in BKK at some point in 2022

norbert2008
    Participant

Thank you so much Martyn I will book today on Thai and hope for the best. Anyone know if Thai offers cash uppgrade out of BKK like they used too and what prices?

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Leaving is a bit easier..Friday morning 10th Dec.in Chiang Mai Antigen swab..Negative result afternoon.Saturday Bangkok Airways to Suwanna and checked in with KLM flight via Ams.12th..Asked for docs…Location Form,Pre Dep test and my already booked 2x day PRC..in Glasgow..OK.Monday morning 13th at Randox Clinic in Howard st..yuch horrible..but at least Negative result that ..evening..Now in local pub opposite my new flat in the Beresford.Will book a flu and Booster jab later today….if…sanuk

Polly
    Participant

Martin,

Your re-out gives us some hope… we actually chose Singapore over hkt due to the pass requirements and taking away if you were in contact with anyone positive on the plane… however, look how Singapore turned out.. anyway, could we dare risk HKT in Feb. We have flights…. But you are staying in BKK, it seems. But, you got there, in the end.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1164911]Martin,

Your re-out gives us some hope… we actually chose Singapore over hkt due to the pass requirements and taking away if you were in contact with anyone positive on the plane… however, look how Singapore turned out.. anyway, could we dare risk HKT in Feb. We have flights…. But you are staying in BKK, it seems. But, you got there, in the end.[/quote]

Polly, I was originally routing in to BKK via SIN to enjoy some drinks and a meal with good ‘old’ K1ngston as well as seeing clients. Sadly thanks to CX cancelling 1 sector, that all went to pot.

The actual entering Thailand bit was seamless and fast. A bit like running the last 500 metres of a marathon, the hard work had already been done. I feel extremely safe here in BKK and if I could I would extend, rather than face the ‘unknown’ flying BKK-DOH-AMS-LON (LON used purposely as I still do not know which flight or airport I will be arriving at). Why is London / UK being seen as being in utter chaos with the leadership in such disarray?

I am following ASK1945 and having a pre flight PCR, before I return, not because I need one, but because I want to avoid any check in staff, making new rules up and refusing to check me in because of incorrect paperwork or testing (as seen in LAS, NYC and SIN & probably other places too).

Long haul travel does feel safe – the challenges needed though to get on an aeroplane, especially the duplication of how information is submitted is just mind blowing and utterly ridiculous.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

Martin,

Your last sentence says it all!

5 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Update on this…

Thailand reintroduces mandatory hotel quarantine

I was hoping to visit in January so a postponement looks likely but I do hope all these present restrictions don’t go on through January and February…

Polly
    Participant

And now, new VTL applications suspended in Singapore for a month….loads will be low, so flights will be amalgamated…. They just can’t seem to get it right atm. Sorry for all those whose plans are to be changed. Better cancelling VTLs than taking people away to lock ups under false pretences. As l know from recent experience. Such a shame as SE Asia really needs us to visit and work.
    Tom, hope your plans are not too severely disrupted.
    K1ngston, Hope family visit goes well! With no hiccups, gulp!

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1184294]

Polly, we will find out later as family arrive on the VTL (SQ) later, and of course even though they are negative from PCR tests in the UK, they will have to go through a PCR upon arrival and then ART tests for a week everyday… Should there be a positive result on the plane then they will be rounded up and carted off to either NCID if positive or SHN for up to 10 days which is ridiculous! Lets hope this doesn’t happen and they can enjoy all that Singapore hasnt got to offer at the moment other than warmer weather than the UK!

Let me take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Xmas and lets hope a peaceful and virus free 2022!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

On another thread K1ngston wrote

[quote quote=1176682]”Martyn, one has to question who in their right mind will want to travel at the moment due to the minute by minute changes taking place across the globe as everyone goes into panic mode over a variant of a virus we were “supposed to be living with” and in most cases have been vaccinated 3 times against?”

I am now back in London and despite all the hassles, have no regrets about making this trip, which now appeared to have been very timely with the suspension of Test and Go. The flights themselves and being in Thailand were all very enjoyable and more importantly the trip was a big success for my business. The only airlines I suffered with cancelations were British Airways (final leg AMS to London) and a Cathay sector (BKK-HKG) which folded that entire ticket. I was lucky that I had no issues remedying flight changes, all handled professionally and expertly without any need for me to make any phone calls. Just an email to Tim, who has also managed to reroute me to avoid a stop in AMS on the return. The 4 flights on QATAR were outstanding (I will write a review)

The big hassle factor though, is the paperwork and testing. We all know there is a whole new TESTING industry with more choices than Heinz soups. Who would have thought a ‘drive through’ and not for food. Self tests, lab tests, same day, 24, 48 and 72 hour tests, for some countries the testing must have special ISO’s. Then anti gen, spit tests, the controversial NHS free anti gen test kits being handed at at will, but cant be used for travel. Price variations between the tests, from ca. £35 up to £300.

SimonS1 said in another thread, “came back from Luxembourg last week and found it straightforward”. It is straightforward, but only once you choose which test supplier, apply to buy it, then register it – sure the test itself was simple. I did mine this morning, in the arrival hall, waiting for my bag. Sure I got few looks, but it was done and posted within 30 minutes of landing.

Paperwork – as others have said, the airline industry or even just the airline alliances, must work together to enable generic paperwork without the constant barrage of information being requested. In BKK last night, I used 2 lounges. Each lounge entry I had my passport and boarding pass photocopied! It is not even worth asking why there is a need.

Yet when transiting Doha, again, you would not even know there was a pandemic. As empty as BKK was, DOH was absolutely buzzing with full services in the lounges and all shops open. This is what I find most confusing. One countries restrictions are another countries freedoms.

All I would say to anyone thinking of a business trip. Make it – the people of Asia especially, need the visitors to return. No where was I made to feel more humble than when doing some last minute shopping. I wanted to go to a specific shop known for silk. However, when asking at the hotel if it was open, unusually, someone asked whether I would instead go to another shop owned by a family member. I know the hotel staff very well and without hesitation I agreed. The shop keeper was not there so I wondered around and went back 10 minutes later. The shop itself (or rather sales booth within the shopping area) was very difficult to find. When I returned, the owner, who I had never met, knew a farang had come to buy, but thought as he was not there I had gone. He apologized profusely for having gone for a toilet break. Not an issue. He was selling what I was looking for, perhaps not branded but certainly good value. I did over buy a little, agreed a price and paid. He was trying to say something in broken English, and eventually he turned to his phone for a translator. What he was trying to say translated word for word and I took a picture of the message.

“Thank you for coming, you have changed my life for today – I can put food on my table”

That made the effort of getting to Thailand, a country I have been visiting for work for 16 years, worth it and I guess also put into perspective the paperwork hassles.

I hope Thailand reassess their test and go, along with other Asian countries – and countries soon re open so visitors from the West can contribute to the economy once again.

I apologies for my 3 longish posts, but this trip, despite the mind blowing hassles, has meant a lot to me.

9 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Hi Martyn
    Thanks again for your input. Have flown LHR-BKK with Qatar in ‘J’ for many years and look forward to your ‘Flight’ report.
    I think I will still wait till things are VERY much more staightforward before attempting the journey again.
    As you rightly say let’s all hope that this is all resolved before too much longer. It is a woonderful country with lovely gentle people,

BPP

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls