Thai Airways tantrums…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• norbert2008
    Participant

I had booked a return flight with Thai in December but due to changes in the Thai Pass I needed to change my booking to Phuket, this has been going on since 20th December. I have not been able to contact Thai in the UK since the phone number on my ticket is invalid and there is no answer on the number on the website. Is this really the way to run an international airline? I presume there are maybe 3,000 people wishing to change cancel their reservations now. I am have had no replies to my emails in the UK but the USA have been kind and may sort my reservation. Let’s hope in time to get my Thai Pass.

2 users thanked author for this post.

luckyone
    Participant

Generally I’ll just call their Royal Orchid Plus BKK head office number +6623561111 since Thai had cut half its staff worldwide since I do hold ROP Gold with them and that’s the number I use. They have their Australian numbers only for Sydney but I’m based in Melbourne. I just deal directly with the head office and they have always been helpful towards me.

norbert2008
    Participant

Thank you for that but in the UK Thai have removed all contact numbers for Royal Orchid on their website! Sorry is this an international airline or not?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

norbert2008, i don’t know which part of the country you live, but how close are you to Heathrow? Or if your happen to be in the London at least you know there is a ticket desk at the airport. Whether it is open for what you need, that is another question…. Agreed you should not need to go to these extreme’s, but………….

1 user thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Martyn, I am in Norfolk but here is hoping my new mate Brian in Thai USA does all he says he can today by email……It is a disgrace that an airline can still fly without having a contact number that works for the country they fly out of. IATA? I applied for my Thaipass today so fingers crossed, they didn’t need confirmation of flight only the number and date of arrival. Thanks for your post about that it really helped me.

luckyone
    Participant

Yes, they’re still an international airline but on skeleton staff under rehabilitation. Under reservation and ticketing on their website, their BKK number is still +6623561111 and email is [email protected] while many other numbers and emails had been removed since all overseas offices, they had let go majority of their staff including country General Managers. They had started resuming overseas flights since Nov 1 more so LHR and Europe. I generally just call them directly and follow up with an email. If you have booked via their website they should be able to help you directly and if you have bought through a travel agent then best to contact your travel agent. Their # is 24hrs/7days a week perhaps not public holidays. Instead of waiting on the phone, I just call them at unearthly Thai hours which generally someone will pick up. Hope that helps. They had always given me excellent service last 10years and I hope they will continue to do.

1 user thanked author for this post.

luckyone
    Participant

https://www.thaiairways.com/sites/en_TH/rop/Guidelines_Exempt_Quarantine.page

If you applied for the Thai pass after 22Dec I believe some rules change. Best to just check with the Thai embassy. I’m quite sure the Thai embassy should be able to help you to contact Thai Airways after all, all their ambassadors fly TG back.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/news/news_announcement/news_detail/schemes_for_entering.page

norbert2008
    Participant

Luckyone Yes was thinking of the Thai embassy too many thanks.

norbert2008
    Participant

Thank you all for your help, in the end a very nice man called Brian in LA (US) made all the changes to the flight including a very good upgrade deal. He was working from home but he was the only person from the airline to reply to my emails. I had no reply from London whatsoever and could have been a no show yesterday! My fingers are firmly crossed for Thai Pass to come through on time. My friend flew yesterday LHR BKK and food service was much better and even had wine in economy which he did not get on his outbound flight for some reason. I will give you all a report on my trip.

3 users thanked author for this post.

luckyone
    Participant

Hi Norbert2008, glad you had things sorted out with TG. Thai doesn’t display or advertise wines or alcohol in general but if requested they do have on all classes. I’ve mostly been on their biz class (highest on their A359) since that’s the only plane they use for ex-MEL to BKK which I had been using and accumulating my free annual Gold upgrades. Still have 2 pending but since they will only resume Melbourne services in April hopefully they will extend my Gold upgrades as well. Their staff and aircrew had always been great and always accommodating even when I flew economy years back and I do hope that their services will continue this year and years to come with their yet to appoint president but acting CEO.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One of the issues affecting Thai over the years is its frequent changes of management. There have been so many since the time when Thai was mentored by SAS (Scandinavian Airlines).

As Nikkei Asia noted last year that Thai had “eliminated over 30% of executive positions.”

Nokkei also says the “executive hierarchy will now consist of five levels … previously there were eight, from the CEO to the team leader.

“The elimination of executive positions is integral to the airline’s survival. Thai Airways’ hiring of air force officers regardless of their business acumen is widely seen as a critical factor … in the national carrier’s financial plight.”

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Transportation/Thai-Airways-eliminates-over-30-of-executive-positions2

norbert2008
    Participant

Firstly thank you all for your comments I am now in Phuket Karaty Bay Cape Hotels, on route to BKK Friday I hope. A little review of the trip so far. Thanks again to Brian from Thai Airways whoever you are in LA. Even though my request for a window seat could not be sorted by him I found myself in 15A (thank you, Brian) Check-in for economy was very long but 3 people for two desks in Business meant I was through on a full flight and in the Lufthansa Lounge in 20 minutes. Distressing that a few people were bumped off the flight for not having PCR test paperwork. The flight was oddly leaving from the A – gates but I had time to visit both United and Singapore Airlines lounges. United again proved best for drinks and charming staff same too for Singapore. I returned but the light was not called for some time so had another visit to the Lufthansa Lounge. Senator section due to open yesterday btw. Boarding was quick and orderly using two gates. Welcome drink (no alcohol) more later. Push back only 10 minutes late but as we know one is almost on the runway now before you know it.

There were some odd announcements about alcohol not being served only during meal service. No menus. But they did a drinks service no idea what gin I had as not on the trolly, Piper Champagne. I had both just in case. I ordered the beef filet, should have had Thai Chicken curry (like BA Club delivered on one tray), sadly undercooked, cold beef and maybe risotto. Tiny prawn salad to start, two bits of dull cheese. I had some very good Chablis and a good French red and a Port. A rather good chocolate cake dessert was delivered afterwards. Cleared away quickly and that was that. No more drink. Until 10 hours later for breakfast. After a short sleep, I woke wanting a glass of champagne but no. Thai Government rules. Not in place in the country. Cost-cutting? I took a glass of orange juice and added a little duty-free and then went fast asleep until I was woken rather abruptly for breakfast and a glass of champagne. Cold cuts, cold croissant some fruit. We shortly landed in Phuket just as the sun rose.

One note for Thai Airways is that they could easily bring back Frist on some routes, 8 seats would be filled with no problem at almost any cost!

I was dreading the ordeal that awaited me but the order and pleasantness I found were astounding. All papers checked in line checked into the country and through passport control and my bag waiting off the conveyor belt. I was tested and in a cab 40 minutes after landing. I have waited longer in some airports pre covid. Hotel Kantary Bay was excellent on my arrival and we did all the paperwork, apps, etc. Then to my room for the test result which came through at 1.00 pm. The hotel is still on top of the game, changing my next test to the right date, booking a taxi, etc. It is such a shame that they have suffered so much without much government help. They are trying so hard, this latest setback has been so hard, they were on the up now I am rattling around with 40 other people.

I am not sure if I should go for an upgrade on my day flight back to London on 28th via HKT. Brian said there were 30 people on the flight. If I do I may go for an airport upgrade, any ideas about that team?

8 users thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

[quote quote=1196498]One note for Thai Airways is that they could easily bring back Frist on some routes, 8 seats would be filled with no problem at almost any cost![/quote]

Could not agree more. With the loss of the TG 380’s, there is now no direct F service between LHR/BKK and as highlighted on another topic having to travel via Dubai/Doha etc., prevents a good night’s sleep on two relatively short journeys.

I did read that TG have on order some new 777’s and there were plans to look at providing F on those (if they ever appear) and I suspect Thai would follow everyone else and reduce the number of seats to 8.

norbert2008
    Participant

Derek, what good news probably, I think 8 seats are perfect for most flights. Air France seem to get it right, it needs to be a premium service both onboard and on the ground as much as can be at both ends of the journey. wonder what do Thai do with all those planes on the ground at BKK?

Hannah Brandler
    Keymaster

Thanks for these comments, we will be publishing a feature on Thai Airways in the forthcoming issue of the magazine regarding the restructuring of the company. The article will explore the company’s cost-cutting measures, fleet reorganisation, new business class services and 2022 network.

@norbert2008
    , you will be pleased to hear that First Class will be returning on three B777-300 aircraft this year.

With regards to contacting the airline, the company told me that it was unable to pay for booking agents and call centres during the pandemic but that these services have returned over the past few months. Improvements are clearly still needed but Piyasvasti Amranand, chairman of the carrier’s Rehabilitation Plan Administrator, assured me that the team are working on this.

Please keep an eye out for the feature coming soon to the print magazine and website.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls