Thai Airways A380-800 Royal First Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

I flew in 3E (flight was full, couldn’t get a window seat!) from HKG to BKK on Friday lunchtime flight. The sense of excitement was palpable…..from proud crew, to lots of passengers (having their photos taken….me included!!)

I like the seats, and especially like the “push ‘n pull” table, very easy to get in and out of the seat even with a fully loaded dinner setting.

Wi-Fi/SMS was not working, and I was told they are awaiting Thai Aviation authority approval to use the on-board Wi-Fi and SMS functionality.

The little “control touch screen” that is the same as the one on the 777-300ER was not working and it took me quite a while to get used to the “manual” seat controls….couldn’t figure out the massage function at all, and gave up as it wasn’t that important on a 150 minute flight.

Also, a PA was made warning passengers not to try to use the USB ports for charging Apple products as it would cause the AVOD system to crash and they would have to re-boot it for that seat……strange…

The pale cream and gold colour scheme in F is very nice but I noticed some scuff marks already on leading edges of the seat surroundings. Thai maintenance crew will have to do a good job to keep the colours from looking old at an early stage.

Food was up to the usual high Thai standards and I had a very nice marinated chicken dish with a Som Tam (suitably Westernised, unfortunately) side salad and a nice glass of Chablis….no complaints in that department.

However, I was hoping that Thai had installed proper cappucino machines instead of using the awful powdered cappucino packet mix used on the 747s but I don’t think they have. I actually couldn’t tell if it was just a better brand of “packet mix” but I was definitely not convinced….it does not even come close to the SQ or Austrian Do & Co (eleven different types of coffee to choose from) cappucino.

The main F toilet was huge, but I can’t help feeling a lot of the space is wasted. Sure, it’s nice to have plenty of stretch room when changing into your pyjamas on long haul flights but I can’t see myself settling down on the sofa for any length of time.

The second F class toilet was adequate in size.

The tail mounted camera is awesome….we had excellent flying conditions and the sun sparkling off the metalwork gave me some excellent photo opportunities. I haven’t bothered to watch the camera on the few SQ/EK A380s I have been on previously so I don’t know if this is a standard placement for the camera.

In summary, I look forward to flying long haul on this bird as long as Thai keep the competitive pricing structure they currently employ for F class, and don’t lose the run of themselves and try to price up to Emirates and SQ F prices, because the hard product is still not as competitive.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls