Tests on arrival to reduce quarantine to a week

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

So the latest gambit by the UK Government is the plan to reduce quarantine to a week with a single test a week after arrival.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54599302

I wonder whether the comments about “based on a single test provided by the private sector and at the cost to the passenger” signal the type of rip off pricing we see for ‘fit to fly’ certificates?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013714][/postquote]

Yes, yes we will………….

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It’s incredible that it will take until December for the UK to have any form of testing for arriving passengers. I recall a couple of months ago, it was announced that Heathrow T2 was going to have testing on arrival and it was proudly announced to the press (published also in BT).

https://www.heathrow.com/latest-news/covid19-testing-facility-ready#:~:text=LONDON%2C%2019%20August%202020%3A%20Collinson,if%20they%20have%20tested%20positive.

What is equally interesting were the articles in last weekends press about vaccines, the source being SAGE. Possible roll out just after Christmas…

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-more-than-one-vaccine-will-be-available-early-in-2021-sage-scientist-says-12107285

Seems UK Plc continues to be all over the place regarding Covid 19 – even the new Government tiers appear to be subject to a financial agreement before implementation. …

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1013715]Seems UK Plc continues to be all over the place regarding Covid 19 – even the new Government tiers appear to be subject to a financial agreement before implementation. …[/quote]

And this just adds to the confusion. What’s becoming more apparent as we become more embroiled in this mire is that our collective leaders are now demonstrating the wisdom of a man caught on the tracks.
    So fixated with the lights of the oncoming train that they’re not able to save themselves from themselves.

Short term reactive panic decisions across the UK seems to becoming the norm.
    Worse, our diverse opinions on the matter are irrelevant as they’re on a business forum, but when you’ve now got the scientific community increasingly becoming at odds with each other then I’m afraid we’re doomed to repeat these hokey dokee policies for months and possibly ( god forbid) years to come

3 words — Test- Trace = eradicate

SimonS1
    Participant

The difficulty of course is it isn’t the scientific experts that have to restore the economy or deal with the consequences of massive recession/unemployment.

The situation with Manchester, Wales etc is ridiculous but the inevitable consequence of trying to offer devolved government whilst retaining central control (ie it creates a free for all).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1013749]The difficulty of course is it isn’t the scientific experts that have to restore the economy or deal with the consequences of massive recession/unemployment.[/quote]

‘Chicken and egg’ Simon – the economy needs to move forward, but until the scientific and medical experts encourage us all to move around, until the Government stop suspending the ability for businesses to operate, I can not see a solution. Take todays announcement by London Airport as reported in the papers,

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-rapid-one-hour-tests-now-available-for-italy-and-hong-kong-passengers-at-heathrow-12108853

Will this provide any benefit to UK business people needing to travel to Asia? Only benefit is the passenger can get the first of 2 tests at Heathrow for £80 instead of a non airport testing centre for £150. Separate test and 14 days quarantine still needed in HKG.

Until the scientific and medical experts themselves encourage people to move around & the worldwide 14 days quarantines are removed I can not see a sustainable economic recovery.

But, congrats to you Simon, I think I read on another thread you are able to travel again to Dubai for business this weekend. Have a successful trip..

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1013751]But, congrats to you Simon, I think I read on another thread you are able to travel again to Dubai for business this weekend. Have a successful trip..[/quote]

Thanks….Dubai and Nairobi this trip. In London today for the PCR (the first one of four this cycle).

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1013751]Will this provide any benefit to UK business people needing to travel to Asia? Only benefit is the passenger can get the first of 2 tests at Heathrow for £80 instead of a non airport testing centre for £150. Separate test and 14 days quarantine still needed in HKG.[/quote]

Absolutely, noticed this private enterprise venture on the news , and my immediate thought… £80 to get you out of quarantining yourself on arrival in Hong Kong is a price worth paying for. But it doesn’t so what is the point ?
    My 2nd thought was how a private venture company can organize an accurate test within an hour and our ( different) government funded tests through their hopelessness is adding to our country’s ongoing woes

[quote quote=1013753]Until the scientific and medical experts themselves encourage people to move around & the worldwide 14 days quarantines are removed I can not see a sustainable economic recovery.[/quote]

I’d add onto that, if the test at LHR can be verified as being accurate then surely the logic becomes that it becomes recognized as a global standard to allow unquarantined travel and rolled out as mandatory to anyone leaving these shores . And in the short term , the same test used as a method to create air corridors between key airports abroad . Alas wishful thinking

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1013753]In London today for the PCR (the first one of four this cycle).[/quote]

There is of course the discussion, that if countries are so nervous about Covid 19 that they will not recognize each others testing, perhaps they are better off keeping their borders closed. It really is a nonsense having to take 4 x Covid 19 tests for one business trips to 2 countries plus back home. As for 14 days prisoner style quarantine…. it’s great for the hotels who are short of business.

At least when dogs fly, their rabies jab is recognised by most if not all countries, as long as it has been done within FIVE days of departure.

simeoncox
    Participant

“…it isn’t the scientific experts that have to restore the economy or deal with the consequences of massive recession/unemployment.”

It isn’t business or industry that has to nurse the ill or bury the dead in the mean time. Business and industry does not thrive on fewer and poorer people, either to provide labour or to consume goods.

The relief of business can come after the protection of the workforce. Any other priority smacks of vested interest.

simeoncox
    Participant

“…how a private venture company can organize an accurate test within an hour…”

It depends on what you’re testing for, active virus or antibodies. There is no value testing for exposure history when detecting active infection is the goal.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1013793]It depends on what you’re testing for, active virus or antibodies. There is no value testing for exposure history when detecting active infection is the goal.[/quote]

And your statement highlights yet another frustration with our current malaise. As someone whose knowledge of all things epidemiology has risen 10 fold, its come from an ignorance base of knowing the definition of the word, in other words nada .

What I can say is that I’ve learned enough to understand that the virus is spread by human contact . On my earlier comments I reserved my anger towards those responsible for this . However recently my ire is most definitely aimed more locally at our leaders decision making and our fellow citizens acting recklessly.

The solution has always been , and will always be ( until a vaccine) testing, testing and actively pursuing the virus through testing . Yet, here we are under another national lockdown , likely to be extended and do any of us have any real confidence that the people who power over us have a clue what to do next ?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1013792]The relief of business can come after the protection of the workforce. Any other priority smacks of vested interest.[/quote]

According to last government stats 92% of hospital deaths were age 60 and above. So I would say the impact on the workforce is pretty marginal.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1013800]The solution has always been , and will always be ( until a vaccine) testing, testing and actively pursuing the virus through testing . Yet, here we are under another national lockdown , likely to be extended and do any of us have any real confidence that the people who power over us have a clue what to do next ?[/quote]

Yes. We have a largish office in Bratislava, a colleague there told me that at the weekend the Government announced plans to test every person in the country. Of course when the population is +/- 6m it is a bit different, but I do seem to recall Tony Blair saying that at the end of March.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1013808] …………….do any of us have any real confidence that the people who power over us have a clue what to do next ?[/quote]

Last week gyms in Liverpool were told to close, whilst pubs could stay open, provided they served food. Today, it was announced that “they [gyms] would be allowed to reopen on Friday, but soft play areas would close” – [from the BBC’s website].

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls