Terminal 5 security – December 1, 2014

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

• PeterCoultas
    Participant

Brussels regular: If you will fly into London (from wherever) then there is always a series of extra nonsense (but uselessly ineffective) checks to get through – courtesy of our marvellous Mrs May….

God help us all when the UK leaves the EU – or maybe it will be easier as only rich individuals can fly direct and polish (competent) plumbers will be excluded

fatbear
    Participant

Sorry Peter Coultas, blaming Mrs May for the incompetence at Singapore airport is well wide of the mark. The chaos for a Jetstar flight at the adjacent gate was even worse and that can’t be down to the UK Government

cbroo79
    Participant

I had hoped that someone from T5 management would actually look into this forum and a change and improvement would come… well, it does not seem to happen.
    All I can suggest at this point is that we all write the feedback cards and press the “not happy” feedback buttons when going through. Maybe that will help, maybe… I am a hard core optimist…

PeterCoultas
    Participant

BrusselsReg: agree that you would seem to be correct ….BUT try getting onto ANY UK flight from anywhere without an extra security nonsense and that is down to May….if other countries don’t make a big effort to go along with her nonsense is entirely understandable as they have to pay for the additional effort

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@K1ngston – don’t be silly, I always take the Prince Albert off before I go through!

T5 Fast Track was great today, 5 minutes….

NTarrant
    Participant

Do you take it off now Martyn since you had the episode of being groped by security staff?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

When it works, the new T5 fast track is good…. but when it works…

Today, 1 side has broken down causing long Q’s for the side that works.

Far too much luggage going through, you can work this one out as the passengers were going through the metal detector at 45 second intervals…. yes I was that bored in the Q..

Then there was a dispute amongst the staff as when breaks were to be taken…. difficult when there were 10 (ten) staff looking as bored as the passengers who were waiting.

All in all not T5 at its best today…

CXDiamond
    Participant

I passed through here earlier today too, far from a premium experience and indeed the whole set up seems designed to cause inconvenience and chaos. Had the bags going through the scanner been carried on the back of a snail they would probably have come through quicker. In comparison people were passing through quite quickly but then waiting and waiting.

stevescoots
    Participant

I passed through south fast track on wednesday and it was very good, the security was the politest and friendliest i have encountered there, even cracking a few jokes along the way. total time under 3 minutes

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A new question re security I witnessed in T5 this morning.

Security at the gate area when boarding. Passport and boarding pass shown. Boarding pass is checked against passport for name and the gate agent checks glances at the face of the person and then at the passport picture.

There was a security official behind the gate agent and I asked out of earshot of the agent if the gate security check was just a name check / boarding pass check or a full ID check.

Answer was a categorical full ID check.

My next question, could he explain why someone wearing a full face covering was not asked to remove the covering for an ID check.. who had gone through the gate area 3 passengers ahead of me..

He couldn’t explain…. I asked whether he was going to review the passenger and he just asked me to board the aircraft…

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MartynSinclair, given the current security tensions you would have been quite within your rights, now there’s a word, entitled to query that with the purser or even the captain if you felt you were being fobbed off. We’ve all heard the arguments of “the chances of something happening are slim to almost zero” which of course defeats the whole security argument. We are constantly told be vigilant and report anything unusual then something like this happens.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls