Terminal 5 security – December 1, 2014

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

or it could be a case of who ever buys the equipment, not wanting to pay for more sophisticated equipment.

Surely sniffer dogs could be randomly introduced into airport security.

With regards to the hand over the crotch… still don’t know what they are looking to find…. explosive or otherwise 😉

Charles-P
    Participant

The equipment is readily available. Companies like Rapiscan, L3, Smiths Industries and others offer this scanning right now and have done so for some time. The issue as ever is insurance liability, having passengers undergo a person to person search allows lawyers to claim the airport had a sufficient level of checks in the event of claims.

In the Middle East for example (where blood sucking lawyers are not such a problem) it is rare to have laptops or tablets removed because the staff use the machines correctly, maintain the software to the latest release and do not fear legal consequences as we do in Europe/US.

Andrew66
    Participant

Martyn , the fingers in waistbands is to check for concealed blades , a small blade could easily be concealed there , also why big belts have to be removed , blades could be concealed in the buckle .
    It is more likely that someone would conceal a blade than wear explosive nappies , unless you’re 6 months old !!! 🙂

They use barringer machines to test for explosives , you can swab items , like a phone and it picks up traces of explosive , that’s when you see them with what looks like a small cloth on a handle , when I was at security in DXB at the gate the security operative swabbed my clothing ( like he was dusting me ) and then tested it for explosives traces , you often are asked at UK airports if they can swab your phone or something else you might have handled to test for traces of explosives

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Andreww66 – “the fingers in waistbands is to check for concealed blades , a small blade could easily be concealed there”

If the above is true, there is a very high likihood that the agent will / could take the top of a finger off. You don’t swipe any area with fingers looking for blades.

The metal detector machines are so sensitive, that I no longer wear certain trousers due to the amount of metal in the buttons etc..

I am going through T5 again this morning and will again expect to be legally “assaulted” by the security staff…. despite trying to choose clothing that has no metal and removing shoes, belt, watch, money, pedometer and glasses…..

Andrew66
    Participant

It is true , people would securely tape blades on a waistband , they’re not going to have it all flopping about and uncovered and the risk of cutting themselves around the middle of their body , and just think of the women who wear underwire bras , I doubt they want such an intimate examination , but the metal in this area of a garment could trigger the metal detector .
    I try very hard to make sure I don’t set off the alarm by following the steps you have mentioned and most times I don’t alarm , but when I have alarmed and quickly glanced back at the top of the gate it has displayed ” random ” so any careful planning would have made no difference , you could just be wearing flip flops and budgie smugglers and random could come up !!!
    The sensitivity of the machines is important , if its too high they are stopping everyone which would seem unnecessary , but then if information leads to a heightened risk alert or a DfT instruction the sensitivity might be tweaked up

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ha, satisfaction as last.

Bleeper again went off in the T5 fast track… I must be a magnate..

Spun round as suggested above and saw “QUOTA” so presume I was a random..

But this time, put through the body scanner and only had the secondary search where the machine pointed the agent to search (yellow areas). No crotch feel today !!

I was told that not all security check points will have these machines (which incidentally are looking for “metal protruding from body”).

Still not sure though why machines are not being used that can detect everything being looked for.

Anyway, satisfaction today….

Andrew66
    Participant

Sorry , that’s right it says QUOTA not random it can be 1 in ??? If you know you have no metal on you it does make people a bit paranoid trying to guess what it is that has alarmed ,
    I’m sure Martyn that you are not just any ” random ” person !! 🙂 Better luck next time , by the law of averages you will sail through at some time !

I certainly hope you are a magnate rather than just a magnet !!

cbroo79
    Participant

I am sure security at T5 reads these blogs… or our comment cards… so Martyn they must have your “number” 😉

On a serious note, I have communicated with BAA and made comments in writing on the feedback cards. All you get in answers are condescending standard emails… AS I said before, I stay clear of T5 and LHR for transit if I can. However, FRA is becoming equally bad! Now, MAN or AMS are great gateways for easy transfer with polite and well trained staffers from airlines and security.

TominScotland
    Participant

T5 Security (and UK Border) were pigs this morning. Very slow and disorganised.

Worst was Security where the Fast Track lane merged into the general maul… Why is it there? Security folk shouting that anyone whose luggage was diverted for a search would be delayed by over 30 minutes and would probably miss their flights – creating panic all round…

Great welcome to the UK for those transferring off I/C flights…..

conc001
    Participant

very simple answer to this follow what happens in SIN or AMS have security at each gate always through in no time.

MARK
    Participant

AMS is soon to remove its @gate security in favour of centralised security (again).

pdwtrip
    Participant

AMS – Schipol last night – Security was an absolute pleasure (honest) – not for the first time.
    It’s G4S – but all the team are helpful and friendly. My colleague got a ‘beep’ and the operator said to her that sometimes if he smiles it is Ok and on the second walk through – they both smiled and no beep.
    After a few long days it was good to have people around that seemed to want to make it a pleasant experience.

Swindoneric
    Participant

t5 North fast track transfer lane was 25 mins this morning. Not too bad you may say but there were only 10 people in the queue when I arrived. Literally. I shudder to think what it will be like later today as things get busier…

K1ngston
    Participant

MartynSinclair have you thought it may be the nose ring and the Prince Albert you were boasting about 🙂 …… Seriously though my ex wife was exactly the same if there was one person out of 100,000 who would get stopped it would always be her, so we always used her as the decoy when bringing a few more bottles or ciggies back …..
    As for another comment above the gate security at SIN and KUL is better only when their is a J or FF lane otherwise you are there for the duration if leaving the lounge!!

fatbear
    Participant

I recently transited in Singapore when flying from Sydney to London on BA. The security at the gate was shambolic even with fast track

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 86 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls