Terminal 5 security – December 1, 2014

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Jordan – you would have said that this was a good time of year to have Security North closed and to be doing work on the fast track?

As with most things at LHR and terminal 5 a complete fiasco.

Remember how we were told that it was BA only and how good it will be as BA will have a big influence in the running of the terminal? Needless to say when it goes wrong BA are straight on the blame game.

PatJordan
    Participant

JordanD (0843) that all belts were open at that time.

I imagine that in this instance, delays can be attributed to one of two things:

There is insufficient capacity in the screening area to deal with the number of passengers using T5, OR….

There is an inherent inefficiency and lethargy in the way the security operatives carry out their duties.

Either way, it’s a disgrace that the passengers who pay for this service through airport fees have to endure this treatment as a matter of course. What other business in the marketplace would even contemplate treating regular (revenue generating) customers in this manner?

BA4ever
    Participant

Could it be that being winter and as we approach the holidays people travel with more hand luggage, plus their coats?
    When I was departing on Friday, I had to use 4 trays! One for my boots, one for my coat, one for my handbag and one for my laptop bag. I tried to use 2 trays but staff insisted that I had to use 4. If it was summer, I would have used 2 (no boots, no coat) or perhaps even 1 (I had a couple of pressies that I didn’t want to put in my checked luggage).

esselle
    Participant

As I see it the problem stems from the fact that they only have one screener of each sex once you have gone through the arch. That means that, if a male pax sets off the arch, the male screener does the pat down etc, and whilst this is happening, no other male pax can go through the arch. This automatically slows things right down.

JordanD
    Participant

SimonS1 (0857): I was limiting myself to Security South, because I didn’t go/visit/see Security North. I wasn’t aware that there were lanes closed over there. I’d throw back the question to you however: in a busy airport, when is a good time to conduct work on the security screening area?

Agree wholeheartedly with esselle (0953). Last pass through fast track in BKK they had multiple screeners of both genders, so delays were fewer in number.

SimonS1
    Participant

Jordan – you said “not really sure what more they could do” – my answer would be not to do refurbishments at this time of year.

You can’t limit yourself you Security South – the reason it was excessively busy was because Security North was closed. The capacity of the terminal is based on two security stations, clearly if you close half your security capacity then you have a problem.

When is a good time to conduct work? In your quietest months. January and February, not the run up to Christmas. Not rocket science, surely.

BA4ever
    Participant

London is least popular in February. They could do the works during that month.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

esselle – 02/12/2014 09:53 GMT

+1 You are absolutely right: my experience last Thursday morning in the T5 southern security channel at 05:35 when, in an instant, a queue of some 10-15 guys formed behind me because the single male security operative beyond the metal detector arch was doing an extremely thorough and repeat scan on one then two individuals. It took no time at all for things to clog up completely. And if, as SimonS1 states, the north security track is shut, then how about deploying all of those staff to top up the numbers at the southern channel? I overheard one shift supervisor talking about staffing and they most certainly did not have vast numbers ready to deploy that morning.

Tim2soza
    Participant

The refund should be to the passenger. They take north of £40 per passenger to pass through their shopping mall and suffer the horrible train. It should be £10 back if lines are over 30 mins (15 mins fastrack), £20 if over 60 and £40 if over 90. That would concentrate minds.

BRin1406
    Participant

It sounds like not much has changed since my report in October.

TominScotland
    Participant

Three minutes through North Security this evening……..

esselle
    Participant

Currently in my room in the Sofitel with an early departure tomorrow morning. My glass is half empty, but let’s see.

FastFranky
    Participant

Might not the heightened security be a response to circulating rumours of an Al Qaeda plot to blow up five European passenger planes in the run-up to Christmas?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/541725/REVEALED-Al-Qaeda-plot-to-blow-up-5-European-passenger-jets-in-Christmas-spectacular

K1ngston
    Participant

Tim2SMS +1 … We are always talking about the busiest and biggest International airport in the world, and we say this with pride and then you know you are going to have to subject someone to the ignoramuses that pass for security staff in T5.. Don’t get me started I think of all places on the planet they are the worst by far… The collective brain cell between them all makes the whole process painful, and as mentioned here we are paying for this service!

I use airports in the US frequently and I have to say over the last few years since there was a backlash against the TSA the training and the whole process albeit laborious is better, done with a smile and respect….

HAL whoever you are, before your pet project becomes the laughing stock if you are not already sort these mindless oiks out and train them how to interact if they can do it in the US then anyone can be trained!!!!!

esselle
    Participant

Through North fast track in about 5 minutes.

Overhead one security guy say to his colleague “dem birds were amazin innit”. I was tempted to enquire, but decided against it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls