Terminal 5 Pod Etiquette

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is there a POD etiquette when q’ing for a POD to take you to either the terminal or back to the car park.

Each POD has space for 4 persons. If a POD arrives and there are 2+ of you waiting, is it meant to be a sharing experience of a solo experience.

This evening, I wasn’t sure whether I should join a lady in her POD so just let it go. The guy behind me got quite upset that the POD was going with 3 empty seats. he was very concerned about the environmental effect. I invited him to join me in the next pod and eventually a third person joined us.

Can anyone enlighten me please on the POD etiquette…

CHASINGTIERPOINTS
    Participant

This makes me smile as all too often have I had the anxiety of fellow passengers as I board the Pod! I think the expectation is it is a shared experience but I have always been asked if it is ok to join me or I have done the same. I think the fact it is such a small environment emphasizes it even more.

DiamondDad68
    Participant

I’ve had the opposite problem on an early morning departure from the car park to T5. Four passengers plus luggage in the pod waiting to go to T5 but no movement from the Pod, no indication to say it is overweight and four passengers staring blankly at each other. I remove myself from said pod and hey presto the doors close and off it goes. Just some simple common sense required.

capetonianm
    Participant

There seems to be a similar quandary in ski resorts with the small gondola type cable cars. I find it irritating to see long queues building up and people going up with just one or two in a car that seats four or six. Selfish.

JAXBA
    Participant

Think of them as horizontal lifts?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It would be a good idea if the operator displayed notices to set an expectation, either way – we’ve all know lifts for years, but pods are new.

Also, some cultures have different cultural norms regarding proximity to others and as Heathrow is an international airport, it might ease confusion.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=868892]There seems to be a similar quandary in ski resorts with the small gondola type cable cars. I find it irritating to see long queues building up and people going up with just one or two in a car that seats four or six. Selfish.[/quote]

I find it selfish of those waiting in the queue to not go ahead & fill the remaining spaces, not those who have gone ahead & taken their space in the gondola/chairlift.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If it was a pod at T5 and there was a spare seat, I’d take it without hesitation. It’s only a short ride from a faceless terminal to a faceless car park. However if it’s a gondola of the 4 seat type, I don’t want to share it with strangers. I want to enjoy the view, the peace and quiet, and maybe they are the chatty sort which is what I don’t want, so I take the seat nearest the door, stretch out and put on my best gangster look, making it obvious I don’t want anyone else in there with me and whoever I’m with!

NTarrant
    Participant

I have found that if there are plenty of pods available then people take separate pods. If there is a wait, particularly at the terminal end then people seem more likely to share and no one seems bothered

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls