Tea anyone?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

I usually don’t drink tea or coffee onboard, unless there is an espresso machine. And this will not encourage me to do so…

https://www.insider.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-ordering-tea-or-coffee-on-a-plane-2018-4

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not questioning what the article says, but until recently I’ve been flying up to 10 sectors a month sometimes, now it’s down to about half that, mostly on easyJet and I always have a cup of tea and have never suffered any ill effect. I never have tea on non-UK airlines as I know it is usually undrinkable.

The more we protect ourselves from germs and so on, the more vulnerable we risk becoming.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay make a decent cappuccino in business ( usually) and I often have one but only one. The ‘English’tea though is not great but the Chinese is very acceptable.
    I tend to ignore the sort of article mentioned above unless from a very authoritative source – there are just too many of them and they contradict.

I have seen similar articles about airline water every few years but clearly there is not one cause of any contamination nor one ‘fits all’ solution. Or any real solution as it is impractical for airlines to use only bottled water.
    Is it in fact even a serious problem ?

Inquisitive
    Participant

The report may have some merit, but most good airlines take care of the hygiene part.
    SQ even has a drinking water dispenser in economy class for long haul flights.

The most important thing to know that almost all water borne bacteria dies at 60 degree C. And tea/coffee are made with water temperature more than that, so those are safe.

Henryp1
    Participant

I don’t drink any water on an aircraft unless it is out of a fresh bottle. While the quality of tea and coffee is not superb, it’s ok. I seem to remember reading that at altitude it is not possible to boil water which may affect the taste. Sometimes it’s good to carry a few wrapped tea bags to be used.

SimonS1
    Participant

“According to a 2004 EPA sample of 158 planes, 13% contained coliform. Two of the airplanes were found to have dangerous E.coli in the water.”

Would you really take seriously an article relying on 15 year old data?

2 users thanked author for this post.

AircraftLover
    Participant

Airplanes have a built-in tank and pressurized pipes, that supply fresh water to all galleys

The local freshwater supplier fill-up the aircraft tank at every airport

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

There might be some merit to this. Late last year i did an early short flight on LH and got really sick after having a cup of tea. I told of the incident to friends and a flight attendant who had tagged along with a friend told me that they don’t drink airplane water and advised me to never ever drink tea on a plane again. Since then i’ve been making a point of either having tea in the lounge or if in a rush just buying a take away cup of tea on the way to the airport.

Inquisitive
    Participant

“Letsflynow” how are sure that water quality at lounge or any other establishment is good?

Most of the stomach related illness results from water quality; but tea and coffee are among the safest liquid to drink anywhere as bacteria cannot survive with high temperature.

AircraftLover
    Participant

I believe that the aircraft’s tap-water, is not 100% safe, for the consumption of infants or elders

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=951030]The ‘English’tea though is not great but the Chinese is very acceptable.[/quote]

Airlines and Hotel ‘s should play to their localised strengths …..

Which is why I never drink tea on aircraft, simply because the complexity of making a decent brew is beyond the wit of anybody who hasn’t been brought up in a culture of obsession surrounding a simple beverage.

I’ll happily have a cup of black coffee or green tea if flying CX because I know it’s going to be hot enough to enjoy.

As for the bigger question of water, I’d imagine drinking bottled water onboard is going to become a thing of the past as airlines try and push their green credentials.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ve never had a problem drinking tea on any aircraft I’ve flown on, and I always ask for a cup (or 3) during the flight. I’ve also seen crew drinking tea and coffee without qualm. I wouldn’t drink water from the bathroom, but I do wash my teeth with it. Most airlines have fresh water for tea coffee etc delivered in large tanks which fit in the galley, and, pilots also drink coffee on board. I’ve seen crew take it in to them, so if it was that bad there would be a ban on them drinking it.

Seems a bit of a scare story to me!!

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=951224]I believe that the aircraft’s tap-water, is not 100% safe, for the consumption of infants or elders[/quote]

You’re as much entitled to your beliefs as anyone else. Doesn’t make them valid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls