Taxiing speeds

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

A totally idle question as I kill time in he BA Lounge at Gatwick, with a fantastic view of the runway and taxiways. most aircraft seem to taxi at a sedate speed to/ from their gates with the exception of one airline, Irish registered and much bigger at Stansted than here. Their aircraft appear to bomb along the taxiways, something I have also noticed (as a passenger) in Dublin. Those with more knowledge than me on these matters, are there speed limits or is it up to the pilots, subject to instructions from ATC?

FDOS
    Participant

The airline in question has maximum taxi speeds in its SOPs and these are electronically monitored, AFAIK.

ATC do not clear aircraft to taxi at any particular speed.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I thought at Heathrow, the time slot is so precise, the aircraft leave the gate and taxiing time is just to meet the takeoff time slot. I recall once or twice I heard pilot indicated this.

In that case, some ATC control will be required.

Elsewhere also I noticed that taxiing speed vary when seems that a tight slot is directed and aircraft taxi with higher speed.

Taxiing is coordinated by ground traffic control and ATC, isn’t it?

workandtravel
    Participant

Interesting observation! While I’m no expert, from what others have said it seems pilots aim to taxi at a speed that meets their takeoff slot time. Maybe that Irish airline has tighter schedules to stick to.

cwoodward
    Participant

Normally large aircraft taxi at speeds of approximately 20 knots (23mph) and never (safely) above 30 knots (35 mph). In poor visibility conditions and in congested ramp areas taxiing speeds should be lower at about 10–15 knots.

Noelle55
    Participant

I believe it depends on details such as airport layout, traffic volume, and different airline guidelines. They also have certain freedom based on ATC guidelines and safety concerns.

cwoodward
    Participant

Not really.
    If you are a pilot you would know the parameters are as my above post
    Of course there can be exceptions but they are exceptions.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

@cwoodward’s post is accurate.

For those interested, take a look at the CAA radio comms guide and the clearances issues to aircraft pushing backing and taxiing, in Chapter 4, starting at page 5 – there are no speeds mentioned.

https://www.caa.co.uk/publication/download/18165

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls