Tape measure banned from hand luggage?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• tarisingh
    Participant

It is at Hamad International Doha apparently – have had a small tape measure (plastic) in my bag for years and it has come around the world with me countless times without issue – until yesterday – a charmless (actually rude) security man took it out of my bag and said “not allow” “not allow”
    I was really surprised and asked why – he didn’t even look at me and repeated “not allow” and threw it in the bin!
    I really enjoyed my business class flight on Qatar but the immigration and security staff leave a lot to be desired – deters me from considering flying via Doha again!!

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992879][/postquote]

I am really sorry to read this, and I know advice after the fact is not helpful but I would have demanded to speak to a supervisor to ask why it was being confiscated? This is such a pet hate of mine!

I do know what you mean by the security staff at Hamad and I do believe they often reek of “inexperience” which is why I would have confronted the decision politely but forcefully, I have done this in various locations around the world and it has worked on many occasions and not on others but at least I got some “lame” excuse as to why the item was taken away…

tarisingh
    Participant

thank you for your response.
    I did try asking politely, also told him I had been through the airport just 3 weeks ago without a problem – just got a shrug of the shoulders with a suggestion to move on – have to admit I was concerned of repercautiolns of making a fuss, they seem to be a law on to themselves!

capetonianm
    Participant

This attitude and the fact that they are answerable to nobody is one of the many reasons I will never travel via the ME. At least in civilised countries there is some accountability.

openfly
    Participant

The security guy probably needed a tape measure at home…..saved him going to BnQ!!

tarisingh
    Participant

that went through my mind also!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls