Takeoff / Go Around (TOGA)

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

One aborted take off at Brussels when the starboard engine ingested a largish piece of cardboard that airfield operations had failed to spot and remove from the runway. Taxied back to the apron for the captain to have a poke around the engine and determine that no damage appeared to have been caused before he ran some test cycles and then we headed back to the runway.

Only Go-Around was at that hardy perennial of GIB where we were on finals only to suddenly surge back into the air to circle for some 10-15 minutes before heading onto Tangiers for an hour. We finally pitched up in Malaga and the grinding experience of having to be coached to GIB only to have to face Spanish border fun and games twice over. I recall my father recounting his wartime flying exploits and telling me of the number of aircrew he had overflown as they were sitting on the tail of their planes which had ditched just short of the RAF Gibraltar runway: victims to the perilous cross winds and down draughts caused by the topography of the surrounding area.

rjhcambs
    Participant

Luckily only one aborted take off. A SIA A380 flights from LHR rejected at low speed because of problem with a door. Turned out to be a faulty sensor but took three hours to sort out. Many years ago so probably not much experience for engineers onthe A380 at that time.
    One landing where I wished we did go round was an Easyjet landing on the polder runway at AMS. Very windy, plane bouncing around but luckily nobody screaming, landing seemed to take an age. Despite the ten minute taxi to the terminal, there was not the usual rush to stand up and rush to the exit when engines were turned off. I cannot have been the only one a little bit scared!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The Emirates crash was a TOGA gone wrong, wasn’t it?

Tom

Please disregard the posts from Flightlevel, some of the info is rather wrong.

What appears to have happened with EK is that they touched down, got an aural ‘long landing’ warning and initiated a go around, but the TOGA button does not command thrust after the weight of the aircraft has been sensed via the squat switches built in to the landing gear, as the logic changes from ‘speed’ (maintaining a value)

The flight director would command a pitch up and the momentum of the aircraft, backed by some residual thrust would be sufficient to generate enough lift to stagger off the ground, but not sustain a climb, thus it seems to have ‘mushed’ back to earth with the gear in transit.

It appears that in the heat of the moment (and it does appear to have been a gusty, unpleasant, day with windshear) the thrust levers were not pushed forward immediately and by the time they were, there wasn’t time for the engines to spool up sufficiently to sustain flight., which is unfortunate as (speculation) 3-5 more seconds might have been enough for the Trents to kick out sufficient power.

My opinion is formed by reading the preliminary approach.

https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/ePublication/admin/iradmin/Lists/Incidents%20Investigation%20Reports/Attachments/90/2016-2016%20-%20Preliminary%20Report,%20AAIS%20Case%20AIFN-0008-2016%20-%20A6-EMW.pdf

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Had a few over the years. At least 5 in HK and also BHX, EDI and LHR.

One time in HK, at the old Kai Tak airport we tried 3 times then diverted to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. This was on BA and the Captain explained to us later that they were required to make 3 attempts, then they could say they wanted to divert. Next flight in landed and slid off the end of the runway, think that was either Air China or China Airlines. Most recent in KF was last yea at Chep Lap Kok on a BA A380.

As FDOS said, the normal reason is that the previous aircraft did not vacate the runway quickly enough, but in HK 4 out of 5 that I experienced have been turbulence / wind shear.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Air France landing in LHR mid-70’s about to touch down then full power on but no explanation; animals on the runway at Katmandu and the scariest, trying to put down in bad weather in Manado, successful at the third attempt.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=763169]Had a few over the years. At least 5 in HK and also BHX, EDI and LHR.

One time in HK, at the old Kai Tak airport we tried 3 times then diverted to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. This was on BA and the Captain explained to us later that they were required to make 3 attempts, then they could say they wanted to divert. Next flight in landed and slid off the end of the runway, think that was either Air China or China Airlines. Most recent in KF was last yea at Chep Lap Kok on a BA A380.

As FDOS said, the normal reason is that the previous aircraft did not vacate the runway quickly enough, but in HK 4 out of 5 that I experienced have been turbulence / wind shear.

[/quote]

You’re right, some airfields are prone to windshear, Funchal is one that springs to mind and Gib apparently has it’s moments.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

A few issues over the years including a Tail Strike leaving LAS.
    2 seperate GO arounds at LBA in the BMI days due to cross winds
    1 go around from LHR to LBA – reason given was “weather”
    1 go around at the old HKG airport (name forgotten) due to “traffic” (IF i remember correctly)

Plus, once in Hamburg, Germany, I was in the aircraft directly behind this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42fchrzhHY

On the other hand, a severe delay as we waited on the taxiway immediately following this at LHR (not sure where I was headed)…

ST

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I saw the captain on leaving the aircraft and asked him if the float was the reason for the G/A and his reply (with a strong French accent) was ‘yes, ze wall at ze end of the runway looked very ‘ard and ze air looked very soft, so I decide to try again’ – top man ?

[/quote]

???
    +1

Marlow1971
    Participant

I had an aborted take off at LHR many years ago on a BA 737 to AMS when an ambulance with blue lights approached 27L as we had commenced our take off roll. Without being asked the Captain aborted and alerted ATC so the ambulance could cross. We resumed a take off roll from about a quarter way down runway.

Two go-arounds also at LHR. A TAP A320 from LIS had flown a pretty turbulent approach in darkness with lightening, thunder and heavy winds buffeting the plane. The pilot aborted in the final stages and we climbed back into cloud to do it all over again. Hysterical female passengers screaming – I quite enjoyed it!

Few years later a BA A320 from MAN was following a Pakistan 747 which, upon landing, decided to hold position on 27R while the flight crew checked their airfield plates for their taxi route. We did a go-around and our Captain gave an amusing summary of what he thought of their airmanship over the PA shortly after!

PS thanks for lunch at your great awards lunch!

thecartoonman
    Participant

On a flight with EasyJet from LGW to Split, the Captain suddenly came onto the intercom and in a very loud and rushed voice, shouted ‘Senior member of the Cabin Crew to flight deck NOW’, at which point the drinks trolleys were rushed down the aisle to the galley and the senior cabin crew member ran to the flight deck.

The chatter in the aircraft ceased and we all sat there thinking ‘mmm’. I looked out at the Alps and we seemed to be holding altitude, could not detect a loss of speed and there were no loud noises from the engines, so thought an explanation might soon follow – nothing, the crew then after about 10 minutes resumed the trolley service.

Then, on final approach to Split we did seem to make a very tight turn to one side of the small island in the bay, and then probably 20 seconds from landing we went around again, this time taking a more extended approach around the island and we finally landed safely, to be told that a person had walked onto the runway.

To be honest, at this point most of us felt the need to depart the aircraft PDQ and the Captain and his young First Officer just stood at the front with a smile on their faces.

What went on over the Alps is anybody’s guess, but a few words from the Captain once normal service had been resumed would have been appreciated, as many passengers were visibly shaken following his loud instruction given with absolutely no previous warning.

Fortunately, the return flight was uneventful, as so many are.

trident3
    Participant

Only 3 in 40+ years of flying for me:-
    A Flightline 146 at ZRH (on an LX flight), an LH 737 at LHR, and a BA Concorde at JFK.
    No prizes for guessing the most memorable of those….

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Just saw this gem on http://avherald.com/ “The Aviation Herald”

“Bhutan A319 at Kathmandu on Oct 15th 2016, goat around”

Given the location one assumes either Go or Goats were around!

icenspice
    Participant

My first on a flight from Tbilisi to Kiev in early September.

I had a window seat in row 2 and am certain the rear wheels had touched down and remember thinking oh that was a bit bouncy. Next thing we were airborne again very smoothly and without a roar of engines. And from the complete silence from other passengers they had been there done it regularly.

Presently the pilot announced that due to ‘safety reasons’ it was necessary and that the circle would be 7 minutes. I don’t think it was due to windy conditions. Perhaps another aircraft on the runway. I will never know.

I was not in the least apprehensive about the second and smooth landing. I was more worried about the fact that I was bursting to have a pee!

Fortunately we parked at a gate with toilets just opposite.

cwoodward
    Participant

At least 20 for me but I have been flying for well over 60 years.
    Back in the late seventies-eighties many go-rounds during typhoons with Cathay at the old Kai Tak airport which had a short runway sticking into the sea and a (terrifying for some) approach through the houses with a hard right term at about 120 feet on final . It was a point of honor in those days of hand flying for the Cathay boys to get the plane home when all others were diverted to Taiwan.
    The routine was usually – a very low pass to ascertain the the wind shear – a second that was sometimes a ‘touch and go’ and the third approach to get the aircraft to stick These boys, mostly Australians Brits were very very good and at the time by far the highest paid in the world. I remember on one occasion a catholic priest sitting next to me consuming the whole of his duty free whiskey during the last half an hour of such an episode.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/kai-tak-hong-kong-airport-scary-landing

I do hope that this is not boring anyone but on another airline and another country I remember landing on the fourth attempt at Wellington NZ in a Fokker Friendship.
    The weather had been filthy for several days and we were delayed out of Palmerston North presumably hoping that there would be a window in the weather above Wellington (another notoriously difficult airport due to the exposed position,short runway and very often strong winds and wind shear). The weather was indeed faul with it seemed zero visibility even at 100 feet.
    New Zealanders are a fairley stoic mob, the pilot gave a running commentary throughout and no one seemed unduly concerned.

Flying was fun in those days but now would be regarded as so dangerous that it would not happen.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls