Switzerland’s quarantine rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=1008997]I suppose, if you need to get to Switzerland urgently (to get into your private bank vault?), go to Belfast and get the train to Dublin then return the same way.[/quote]

Precisely, I think it’s all a bit of a nonsense!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Today the Federal Consul refused to put France on the quarantine list, hence breaking the law (France has over 60 cases per 100’000)… I don’t think however its position is tenable.

Frederic
    Participant

Well, you meant probably Federal Council …?!

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1009104][/postquote]

Of course. Bloody autocorrect! Thank you, Frederic.

Swissdiver
    Participant

The Federal Council came up with a hypocrite solution: they chose to select French regions instead of the whole country (like the German authorities). But they refused to classify as “red” the neighbouring Rhône-Alpes region (where Lyon is, a city with 134 case per 100’000) as this would mean reinstating border controls. So elderly people can die as long as we don’t have border controls… Sad Swiss reality ahead of a crucial vote that ask us whether we want to generally reinstate border controls or not.

Alsacienne
    Participant

Living in one of those ‘sacrosanct’ French departments bordering Switzerland, I understand your point of view, Swissdiver. But of course, allowing the ‘frontaliers’ to cross into Basel or Geneva does help keep the economy going, industry producing and families earning wages rather than relying on the social security systems of their countries of residence to keep them housed and fed.

Let’s hope that there will be some let-up soon in the R numbers and that life can become more predictable. Best wishes to all, and please stay well, whatever it takes.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1010717][/postquote]

The “frontaliers” situation doesn’t help. But the solution was found during the semi-confinement (border control allowing only workers to cross it). So all could come and work, and as you pointed out, this is vital for both sides of the border. Also it raises the issue of enforcement as it is just impossible to do it. How can you check someone coming from Paris to Annecy, and then to Geneva by train. It is impossible. Hence the need for borders.

This is now however a unique case. Entering Ireland is possible via Belfast then bus or train for instance.

We all live this strange situation where no one can actually predict the near future! So countries should collaborate and politicians refrain from doing just dirty politics. But can they?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Alsacienne
    Participant

We all live this strange situation where no one can actually predict the near future! So countries should collaborate and politicians refrain from doing just dirty politics. But can they?

Swissdiver, I agree wholeheartedly with your first two sentences …………….. but regret that my response to your third sentence is … No, not until hell freezes over unfortunately.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls