Switzerland to open some borders from June 15

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

I say “some borders” because, at the time of writing, the border with Italy will remain closed (on June 15).

However there might be a change.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/no-more-emergency_government-announces-major-easing-of-coronavirus-restrictions/45788336

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry a bit late in replying, but I understand the Italians will open the border on June 3rd. However, the Swiss say they weren’t consulted and for them it remains closed. But, it seems Swiss can cross over as nothing to stop them going out, but they will apparently have some hassle getting back, though of course the Swiss can’t refuse entry to their own citizens. I’ll update when it becomes clearer.

capetonianm
    Participant

How typically Italian and what a wonderful example of European/Schengen cooperation!
    I hope this is correct as the first trip I’m hoping to do, once all this **** is over, is to CH, ideally by train via Milano.

Swissdiver
    Participant

LP, my understanding id slightly different. Swiss nationals and residents as well as working permit holders are able to enter Switzerland. It was also announced that border controls will be reinforced.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=999856][/postquote]

Yes, it’s clearer today, in Ticino anyway. Italians can only come in if they have a valid reason, such as work or visiting family. Non CH can transit the country from Italy to say Germany.

Swiss can now freely go to Italy and come back, but still may not bring in any shopping. If they do it’s a CHF 100 fine.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Interestingly it seems the border between Menton and Ventimiglia is rather chaotic as the French customs are strictly controlling immigration since yesterday, something they were doing last week or earlier… Italians must fulminate! Of course the government’s unilateral decision exposed them, but the answer will simply pave the way for Salvini’s return (not writing this is a good or a bad thing, this is just factual) and fragilise further the current coalition in power.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls