SWISS route Zurich to Cairo: A flight made of hell!

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• paulkaz
    Participant

In fairness to the airlines’ choice of aircraft it surely must reflect demand. Recent attacks in Egypt must have reduced tourist demand and therefore passenger load considerably.

rferguson
    Participant

In fairness to the airlines’ choice of aircraft it surely must reflect demand. Recent attacks in Egypt must have reduced tourist demand and therefore passenger load considerably.

Agreed. It seems LX cannot even maintain a daily schedule from ZRH to CAI on such a small aircraft (currently operating 4 x weekly).

The reasons you say would definitely factor in that. It’s a simple issue of supply and demand. The longhaul A330 that used to ply that route is probably making much better returns on other routes.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ExecPlatAA
    Participant

A fair and balanced response Cancuckland.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Of course the numbers no more allow a large aircraft to CAI, sadly. The interesting consequence is to prefer MS (Egyptair) that offers a real business class seat on its B737-800. And they do serve nice glasses with ice cubes…

Flightlevel
    Participant

Another site says TK offer $1000 business returns to popular Asian destinations ex CAI if you can get there?
    Suggests hand luggage only ‘though because to clear customs to re-flight luggage requires a paid visa!
    Its unlikely an airline will, because of the two different PNRs.

HHS0001
    Participant

To Swissdiver
    Thank you for your comment.. I have been flying the Cairo/Europe route for more than 40 years now.. So, like you, I am is a full position to comment on service/product provided and aircraft used on this route throughout..
    BTW as you mentioned MD11, on 1 Nobvember it was the 43rd anniversay of using the DC-10 on Cairo route by Swissair.
    I am also enclosing my Swissair DC-8 menu card to Cairo in 1981.
    And a Menu card of my DC9 First class flight GVA/FCO signed by my fellow passenger Audery Hepburn. At that time SR had 3 classes in its DC9!

For the gentleman who thought capacity lowered, I may surprise you by indicating that this summer, LX had an additional B777 flight together with the CS300. So did Austrian on its daily flight. As for LH, they have 3 daily fights to Frankfurt and Munich. ALL LX, OS, LH flights out of Cairo are always FULLLLL especially in Business class.. There are 20 million+ living in Cairo alone and 100 million+ in Egypt. So there is absolutely no issue with capacity, just greed from the EU airlines side wanting to fill planes with highest Y and C lasses fares.

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

ALL LX, OS, LH flights out of Cairo are always FULLLLL especially in Business class.. There are 20 million+ living in Cairo alone and 100 million+ in Egypt. So there is absolutely no issue with capacity, just greed from the EU airlines side wanting to fill planes with highest Y and C lasses fares.

You don’t seem to understand basic business economics (= greed by another name if you prefer). If you have a product or service you are bound to sell it at the highest price that the market will bear. If flights are always full, why would you drop the price?

The fact that Egypt has 100 million people is hardly relevant, how many of those have the resources, need, or motivation to fly internationally, least of all in business class?

SenatorGold
    Participant

What wonderful memorabilia! An amazing First Class menu. Thank you for sharing these. I have a collection of “first flight covers” issued by Lufthansa to commemorate the first Lufthansa DC10 service to La Paz. I also have a copy of “Memories of a Swissair flight” booklet from January 1977 given to all passengers on the Swissair service from Johannesburg to Zurich via Dar es Salaam and Nairobi.

paulkaz
    Participant

The minimum wage in Egypt from to 2014 to date has remained unchanged at EGP 1200 per month. US$70.00 pm.I doubt European airlines have the patience to provide wide body flights year round while the 100 million Egyptians save for flights ex Egypt to Europe. I imagine their first priority would be the Hajj to Mecca.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I am also enclosing my Swissair DC-8 menu card to Cairo in 1981.
    And a Menu card of my DC9 First class flight GVA/FCO signed by my fellow passenger Audery Hepburn. At that time SR had 3 classes in its DC9!

That was a menu and made eating on board worthwhile. And what a fantastic souvenir signed by Audrey Hepburn. I’d imagine most of today’s, mostly z list, celebs would either sit alone or just refuse to speak to anyone.

What wonderful memorabilia! An amazing First Class menu. Thank you for sharing these. I have a collection of “first flight covers” issued by Lufthansa to commemorate the first Lufthansa DC10 service to La Paz. I also have a copy of “Memories of a Swissair flight” booklet from January 1977 given to all passengers on the Swissair service from Johannesburg to Zurich via Dar es Salaam and Nairobi.

I used to collect playing cards and matchboxes, sadly neither are offered anymore!

capetonianm
    Participant

I had a small collection of menus and memorabilia like those, sadly they are a thing of the past as is graceful and dignified service.

As for ‘Z’ list celebrities, I once had the misfortune to be in the same business class cabin on a KLM flight as the black ‘Spice Girl’ and her even more repellent partner. They behaved worse than animals, flinging stuff around the cabin, refusing to obey FA instructions, and when I asked a cabin attendant, in a deliberately loud voice, who those awful people were, she said she wasn’t allowed to say, but someone else said ‘It’s one of the Spice Girls’ and the gentleman next to me said, in a very cynical tone : “Whatever a Spice Girl is, I hope I never come near one again as long as I live.”

On the other hand, I was on the same flight as Robbie Williams once and he was charm personified, signing autographs, chatting, making jokes, but then I wouldn’t call him a ‘Z’ lister.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just looking again at the menu and the annotation, reminded me how Swissair used to fly Intercontinental Zurich via Geneva and vv and if you were lucky you’d get to sit on one of the 747’s or DC-10’s they operated. Now Swiss has virtually abandoned Geneva – such a shame!

SenatorGold
    Participant

Just looking again at the menu and the annotation, reminded me how Swissair used to fly Intercontinental Zurich via Geneva and vv and if you were lucky you’d get to sit on one of the 747’s or DC-10’s they operated. Now Swiss has virtually abandoned Geneva – such a shame!

However, on some intercontinental routes Swissair would only stop outbound at Geneva. For example, on the Johannesburg route they would stop outbound at Geneva but not inbound.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls