Swiss retires Avro RJs after 27 years

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Readers who have flown with Swiss within UK/mainland Europe would surely have taken a flight in one of its Avro RJs.

The final flight, between Geneva and Zurich, took place today.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/curtain-falls-on-swiss-avro-operations-after-27-yea-440288/?cmpid=SOC|Twitter|Flightglobal|sf106219949|sf106219949&sfid=701w0000000uP3H#sf106219949

The Swiss (and previously Crossair) RJs were the mainstay of its operations at LCY.

For the past few months Swiss has been using Helvetic’s aircraft to operate its flights into LCY.

But one week ago Swiss brought in the Bombardier CS100 which in due course will take over its LCY operations.

Swiss debuts Bombardier CS100 into London City Airport

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve flown these Avros many times, as well as Avros and BAe 146’s from other firms.

Swiss’s were always nice, as they were configured 2+3, which was comfortable, as opposed to the 3+3 favoured by British Sardine Airways and others.

The last time I took a Swiss Avro was a year or two ago, running down to Munich from Zurich and it was a lovely flight on a beautiful sunny afternoon – one to cherish.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Some nostalgia (particularly because some of the manufacture was just outside Stockport) but not much. The Bombardier CS100 is a much better aircraft, despite its microscopic video screens. You need binoculars to see the safety video.

neilsoaj
    Participant

This aircraft was of the most advanced designs launched in the aerospace world and the last true aircraft manufactured in the U.K. at both BAe Hatfield and Woodford
    Nice to see the Queen still flies the flag by flying the aircraft

Flightlevel
    Participant

LX says they’re still highly valued and low maintenance and buyers are waiting in line for them so a good design if not up to CS100 standards in the 21st century.
    They’re even used for firefighting now!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll also miss them. I maninly flew them into LCY and MXP and loved the view from all window seats (apart from row 7) thaks to the high wing.

MarcusGB
    Participant

KLM are gradually taking over the LCY-AMS route, previously served with Cityjet Avro jets, (separate forum topic).
    By December, KLM will be running 7 flights a day in each direction, and only one Cityjet aircraft contracted by KLM.

So Cityjet still has some that are around 27yrs old if you want to take them, 3-3 config.
    But they are phasing out of LCY, aiming in a prebious statement to say that “London Southend” will become a hub for them?!!

SwissExPat
    Participant

Funny…. Maybe 10-12 years ago I was involved in the Reinsurance transaction that was put in place that provided a floor to the Residual value of these BAE 146 aircraft..(essentially taking the contingent liability off the then owner’s balance sheet)… So I hope that indeed there is a queue forming to buy these off their current leaseholder.

At this time, many other aircraft types were being mothballed in the Mojhave Desert in USA !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls