Swiss franc “soars by up to 30%” today (Jan 15)

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As someone who has over the decades written much about currency ticketing, the news that the Swiss franc has soared in value today must cause a headache for the airlines.

Yes, those foreign carriers flying our of Switzerland will be enjoying windfall revenue gains. But on the other hand, more canny Swiss travellers will be starting their long-haul flights in neighbouring countries.

In the case of Lugano in Swiss Ticino, Milan Malpensa is not a lot further away than is Stansted from Central London. And the Gulf carriers will provide premium fare passengers with a chauffeur-driven car.

Swiss must be wondering if many Zurichers will defect to Lufthansa and/or foreign carriers at Munich ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30829917?ocid=socialflow_twitter

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Will have a massive effect on Swiss exports and the tourism industry in general….now what to do with all my extra CHF???

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Alex, unless it’s just been introduced, only EK offer chauffeur pickup in Lugano. However i know several people from Zurich who take the train down, are collected at the station by EK, then begin their journey ex MXP.

Even if you pay your own taxi (or go by bus, just chf30) it’s only CHF 150 which pales into insignificance when you look at the savings to be made.

Rave, keep the Swissy’s, the € will continue to fall re the CHF.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well I guess the SNB had little leeway ahead of the expected ECB actions next week. That said, as someone based in Switzerland and selling in foreign currencies, it hurts badly! I am however somewhat confident the GBPCHF and the USDCHF will almost go back to normal by the end of the month… So the airlines’ struggle should only be temporary.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification, LP. Shifting currency values this year will prompt canny travellers, flying long-haul, to check alternative departure points.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I haven’t checked it Alex, but i hear Athens is amongst the cheapest in Europe for C and F fares.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls