Swiss Europe Business ticket – No Lounge Access?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I just flew return with Swiss in Business ZRH – DUB – ZRH.

Alltogether given the current restrictions, the journey went well and given the last time I flew in Sept where all lounges seemed to be closed, I was pleased to see that lounge in ZRH was open (in main concourse, with the Lounge in D gates closed).

However, In Dublin on the return leg, I asked at check in if a lounge was open and was told yes (The check in agent also asked me if I knew where the fast track was, which I did having used this route with SWISS for the last 15 years so it wasn not as if the conversation was completely casual).

So imaging my surprise when I rolled up the the Dublin T1 Exec lounge and presented my SWISS C boarding card to be told… NO, SWISS Is not accepted here… Not any more…”

The reecption agent was very apologetic but pointed me to the sign indicating that the following airlines were acceptable [Air Canada, AF, KML, Qatar and Turkish]. I asked of there were a different lounge for LX but the agent said NO. They said that this was a new situation and that many Swiss PAX were unhappy about this. I subsequently checked the SWISS website where they say that C PAX have “Access to SWISS and Starr Alliance Partner lounges all over Europe”. Also in the 10 benefits of Europe C, they list “Access to Lounges”

I needed to use a quiet area for some emails etc and asked if I could pay to enter and the agent indicated that I could which I did (€20).

I have been using this lounge for the last 15-20 years with Swiss.

Absolutely shocked.

ASK1945
    Participant

Why don’t you email Swiss with a bill for €20, with an attachment of a screenshot of the website?

1 user thanked author for this post.

norbert2008
    Participant

Yes do contact Swiss they sent me £200 for travel after lying about flight delays ex Zurich which meant I had to stay in London missing last trains to Norfolk.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I’ve send an email voicing my concern so will await developments.

On reflection, BA were also NOT on the list of airlines who could use the DUB T1 exec Lounge so I wonder if this is also the case with BA?

KeaneJohn
    Participant

BA have cut 3rd party lounge contracts at a lot of European Airports and Dublin is one of them. I confirmed this with DAA.

SwissExPat
    Participant

This is all very strange…. Lounge access is quite a simple (and has been adopted as a basic) benefit of J/C travel.

In DUB I was able to use the fast track in T1 with my Swiss C boarding card. (but then not the lounge)

SwissExPat
    Participant

Swiss did get back to my query as to why Business Class PAX did not have Lounge Access to the (previously) available Lounge in DUB T1.

They said

“.. that due to the current situation, lounge access is only possible at certain airports. ….

Using the words “possible” indicates that the situation is beyond their control. How can it be possible that airlines such as AF/KLM/Air Canada/Turkish can provide their PAX with Lounge Access as the DUB T1 Lounge but SWISS cannot? If there was some space limitation in place, the I would not have been able to enter as a walk up PAX and pay in cash, as I did.

I also asked SWISS as to why they continued to advertise Lounge Access as part of the Eurpoean Business package if they chose not to provide this at certain locations.

They choose to ignore any response to this question.

So in Summary, Lounge access is not a part of the C ticket on SWISS (if you fly to/from certain locations) but other carriers seem to maintain this. (as another member pointed out, this seems to be the case with BA also… likely also LH)

I expect that in the future, the excuse that “Covid has eaten my homework” will be used for all sorts of service reductions but I am surpsised that SWISS would be so quick to effect cost cutting under this guise.

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It isn’t just SWISS – on our flight back from Mallorca to HK on LH we were denied access at the usual lounge LH use in PMI, and there was a notice at the entrance saying that they no longer gave access to LH premium passengers. The lounge was open, and not busy, so it seems very likely this was a commercial decision by LH (and at group level too). Fortunately we had Priority Pass so were able to enter anyway (and a jolly nice lounge it was too, excellent social distancing protocols with food on display behind perspex screens, clear marks in the “queueing line” to ensure separation (not that it was necessary, the lounge wasn’t busy) and food and drink brought to your seat). It was actually better than the LH lounge in FRA…

I understand airlines want to save cash, but surely not at the risk of losing premium pax.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls