SWISS: Economy Catering Improvements

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

continentalclub
    Participant

In news sure to gladden the hearts of any airline passenger who’s been a spectator at the all-comers Race to The Bottom of on-board catering, SWISS have just announced that their Economy Class service, including shorthaul, is set for something of an improvement:

http://bit.ly/aHTXGC

SWISS is improving its Economy Class product. The airline will be serving freshly-made sandwiches to Economy Class guests on its European services from 1 October onwards. The SWISS Economy inflight product has also been enhanced on intercontinental flights, in both content and packaging terms.

Having already earned multiple international awards for its short-haul products and services, the Swiss airline is now further improving its inflight food offer on European flights. From 1 October onwards, Economy Class passengers will enjoy freshly-made sandwiches on board. The rolls will be made overnight at a traditional Swiss bakery before being freshly filled and swiftly brought aboard. They will also be presented in new light paper packaging. The new sandwiches will feature a range of different breads (such as nut bread and ciabatta), while the fillings will include original Swiss cheese and quality meat products.

SWISS’s Economy Class guests now also enjoy an enhanced food product on intercontinental flights from Switzerland. Thanks to a collaboration with the country’s “Käseunion”, Appenzell, Gruyère and Emmental cheeses are now served on board. The top cheeses available offer travellers even more Swissness and typical Swiss quality.

In a further innovation, the meals served on SWISS intercontinental services now have a fresh new look, typified by the new breakfast box. The culinary fare on SWISS flights to Asia will also be enhanced at the end of this year with the addition of a second hot meal.

This really does seem like excellent news and I think that SWISS are to be commended for their move. Hopefully, others will follow.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Senator
    Participant

continentalclub,

Thanks for this. Swiss was on a positive path prior to the LH Group inclusion. Since, the airline has improved products and profitabilty despite being based in a high cost country and despite the obvious areas of further integration and synergies within the group.

I for one, believe LX provides the best value for money across European airlines today. I suggest those of you based in the UK check out their prices in European business class which are really good ex.LHR. Yes, I know it requires a stop in ZRH but you can get flex fares in business for a small premium over their none-flex fares or over BA’s none-flex fares.

Hippocampus
    Participant

Excellent to see an airline defying the race to bottom and raising the bar.

starflyer
    Participant

Indeed welcome news, I just wished that other LH group carrier, bmi would take note of the Swiss approach

HaggisCH
    Participant

Well done to Swiss! I flew ZRH to AMS and return last week and experienced the new catering. A very tasty roast beef sandwich on the outbound and salami on the return.

I too wish for a return to full service on the other LH group carriers such as BMI.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Welcome news for Swiss economy passengers. Few years ago, I was on assignment for 3 years in UK and we took numerous Swiss flights from Heathrow to all over the Europe in economy class for vacations.
    Even in those days the sandwiches provided in the short haul flights were pretty good and my daughters used to like the small Swiss chocolate they will serve. The stewardess would not mind if they took a handful.

And the connectivity at Zurich is very easy being a compact airport, the transition was less stressful. I had top status in star alliance and occasionally lounge will not mind if all of us want to go in. Even otherwise a couple of coffee shops at the airport was very good place to pass one hour transit time.

Post Covid many airlines and airports become a bit of impersonal, more cost conscious and crowded – nothing wrong with that – but joy of leisure travel has to come back. So this news from Swiss is very encouraging and I hope other good airlines follow similar path.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1364382]Post Covid many airlines and airports become a bit of impersonal, more cost conscious and crowded – nothing wrong with that – but joy of leisure travel has to come back. So this news from Swiss is very encouraging and I hope other good airlines follow similar path.[/quote]

Inquisitive – did you not notice that this was a 13-years old thread posted by a spammer? Or have you recent news that Swiss is improving its catering?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1364391]

Ask1945, thanks for highlighting. I didn’t notice that it is an old post.
    Of late I found the service offering at some of my favourite airlines that I am travelling are a notch below from pre-Covid days. So when I saw this post, felt nostalgic and posted my comments. I need to be careful about the posting date.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I flew Swiss last year from LCY via ZRH, although Biz, and they were excellent for F & B.
    LCY was so peaceful and easy to hop to their hub.

The Biz “Throne” seat ( one window seat on its own, so 5 seats across every row 1-2-2), But is over £200 extra each way now though, which is a pity. But feels very private and great for a sole traveller.
    They have introduced a new Premium Economy which looks great just behind Business, and also retain 1st class at the front of 773-ER’s.
    The total fare incl seats was £1,800 return, with an onwards Thai flight to Phuket Island.

I should have made lots of bookings ahead at that time, as so many Airlines were around those prices then!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls