Surviving travel disruption

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Business Traveller would like to know your thoughts on dealing with travel disruption caused by the volcanic ash and airline strikes.

How have you been affected – have you been stranded or had to cancel trips? And given the likelihood of further disruption in the coming months, what are your tips for surviving future chaos? Has it changed the way you book and organise trips?

maraki1
    Participant

I spent a fortnight in Corfu in April courtesy of easyjet and was stranded for 8 days due to vocanic ash. I found them very helpful and it was only on the last day when I had cleaned and closed up my apartment for the second time I made use of easyjet’s offer of overnight acommodation. We were taken to a 4* hotel with breakfast and on talking to others who should have returned to the UK at the same time as me but did not have the luxury of their own apaprtment I discovered they had been accommodated in the same hotel for a week full board, I say well done Easyjet!

I would continue to book in the same way using an EU airline and I would encourage other independent travellers to ensure they have money/cards available at the end of their stay in case of a similar occurence. One thing which did annoy me was that the insurance company (AXA) had no intention of paying anything for the disruption and extra cost

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

My strategy to dealing with British Airways strike disruption has been make my new flight bookings with other airlines. I have not flown BA since January, which is a long time for me. I am getting more familiar with the other options available on my regular journeys. Including flying from different airports. Until the strike is over I am keeping to this approach.

PaulJennings
    Participant

Spent 5 days extra in Singapore. SQ did their best to be helpful though they were a bit disorganised. They offered to pay for the first 2 nights accomodation and expenses and made sure we were on the first flight back.

Greenbee travel insurance, which makes a big thing of the John Lewis brand, was worse than useless. It would have been overpriced in Poundland.

It has made me a lot more cautious when booking travel at my own expense and I would certainly lean toward an EU airline for the cover element of the regulations.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi BT

You should also have included the January problem of snow and ice in your question. So far travel plans in 2010 suffered from:

extreme weather (ice and snow)

Volcanic Ash

British Airways strike

………..and its only May!

Us Brits survive becasue we have resiliance and patience. We survive becasue we have choice and we just get on with it and all is forgotten.

Some interesting points that have come out of this:

1. Travel insurance and the need for product clarity. Benefits need to be far clearer and the polcies sold by people who know the product. Most people are clueless about what their policies actually cover.

2. Seeing Easyjet pay compensation

3. Seeing O’Leary trying to wriggle out of looking after their customers

4. Calling a taxi to get you back from Europe

5. Seeing only 1 company suffer from all 3 events (Brit Airways)

6. Hearing absolutely nothing from Virgin Atlantic and Sir Dickie

Lets hope the remainder of 2010 will see only smooth and hassle free travelling.

NTarrant
    Participant

I had three flights cancelled due to the ash. Two I was able to reschedule and one I cancelled. All were on BA and received a refund for the cancelled ticket within the time specified.

Some difference to the flight cancelled by BMIBaby in December due to weather I booked for a member of staff. Still awaiting my money back

JamesMalta
    Participant

Havent changed plans, always book fully fare tickets and use EU airlines at times of known strife, just to make sure, and never ever use CCs near their credit limit. Seems to work for me.

Binman62
    Participant

I was stuck for 5 nights in SFO after flights home cancelled. My tips for the future are simple.

1. American Express Platinum Card. £300 for insurance that was priceless. Family of 4 each got £300 for the inconvenience. My claim covers costs of card for next 3 years. If AXA ever get around to paying it.
    2. Fly the flag. Stick with British Airways and indeed any EU carrier of repute. Avoid all US carriers, non EU operators and low costs airlines. You get what you pay for.. BA threw money at us. 5 nights accommodation and all meals for the 4 of us ( 2 rooms) Then 150 bucks at the airport the night we did actually fly out. Their actions have resulted in loyal passengers becoming advocates for the airline at any opportunity. Wish the crew could see what they are throwing away.
    3. A new mobile provider at first opportunity. Vodafone rip of roaming rates charging £1.25 for 3 second calls. Disgrace.
    4.BAA parking.They waived all additional charges. Had to pinch myself at that but hats off to them and again they now have loyal customers.

Hooter2009
    Participant

I was due to travel out of Heathrow this morning but could not get to the airport due to the snow. No taxi would take me and public transport provided no guarantees. Because the flight left on time, I am being told by my travel insurers that I am not covered even under the adverse weather conditions clause. Anyone have experience on this – we are talking about a £3000+ ticket. The airline will not change the reservation either.

Potakas
    Participant

If someone is aware, i would like also to get informed about ”Why i should buy extra insurance” from BA’s site for example, or what are the benefits if i make my booking through a credit card that offers insurance when i book with them (Amex). Do they offer more amount of money as a compensation if your flight is disrupted? ( I am aware that depending from the insurance that you have, you will get different compensation)

Thanks

Potakas

Binman62
    Participant

Hooter2009….sounds awful..can’t really understand the stance of the airline. That said I am 20 miles from LHR (to the west) and there has been little snow. Roads are passable with care and all main routes fully operational.
    Potakas…..I have previously recommended Amex via their platinum card. Not only do they cover the holder but the whole family. Not sure if it would have paid out in the scenario that Hooter2009 described but they funded us to the tune of £1200 in April when stuck in the USA. In August they paid out £900 when the bags went missing and all with a minimum of fuss. It does not cover all the costs and had I been alone, then £300 limit would not have been as useful in the USA. BA premium plus card has similar benefits but not as generous.

The issue of being unable to get to a operational airport for a flight that leaves on time is a grey area. Some policies would pay out if you broke down but as Hooter2009 has shown it appears both airlines and insurers are taking a tough line.

Hooter2009
    Participant

some years ago I was in a similar position but the delay was caused by an acident on the M25 which casued me to miss another transatlantic flight. My policy said that I was covered if I was caught in a road traffic accident. The insurers wriggled out of that one as well as they said that unless I was able to provide the details of the driver who casued the accident they would not accept the claim. It seems to me that the insurers can print what they want in their terms and change to suit their own benefit. As you pointed our Binman, there are some grey areas, but I was under the impression that insurers had to be more ‘open’.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls