Survival Techniques Please (17 hour flight)

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Splitting the journey always helped for me, too, but as a chronic non-sleeper on planes – slightest cabin activity keeps me awake no matter what cabin – I can only recommend allowing at least the greater part of the day of arrival to get yourself together. I tried medication which left me fuzzy and Melatonin which did not work. In the end I just got accustomed to being a zombie after the journey.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments, very much appreciated

mkcol74
    Participant

Hugh
    Participant

Hi

i recently flew this route in J, seat 2A – i really enjoyed the flight. The front section was quiet, but i don’t think the other section was bothersome either.
    I’m BAEC Gold, so ended up with no seat buddy – my experience of QR is that they will try to keep the seat next to you free if travelling alone.

on the way out, i went to sleep soon after take off ( it left at 0200’ish Qatar time), and made use of the Dine on Demand service – it really is orientated to you having it when you want and was actively pushed, unlike BA DoD where you’re left feeling personally responsible for the death of Princess Diana for daring to actually decide when you want to eat in my experience.
    DoD food is whatever is on the menu.

shades on, ear plugs in and get some shut eye, seats are very comfortable. I wasn’t so impressed with the entertainment choice, but that a personal thing

the flight flew past, and i wasn’t at a loss of something to do. it was only about 16 hours on the way out, and slightly longer on the way back.

the staff we’re really attentive, the CSD came and spoke to me, noteing that i hadn’t ordered anything from the DoD and did i want anything – it was mostly becasuse i was asleep.

landing at AKL i was in and out of the terminal in under 15 minutes, inc immigration, customs x-ray check etc – we were among the first intl arrival of the morning, and i only had hand luggage

as this is currently the longest flight, my plan was to frame the boarding cards, and they very kindly reprinted mine without the circling on it they do re: gate/time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls