Surprisingly Few People Will Miss bmi

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

• KeaneJohn
    Participant

Interestingly BMI operated flights even with a BA flight number are still a tad cheaper due to the lower fuel surcharge per sector.. Wonder how much longer that will go on for.

cityprofessional
    Participant

An observation:

It’s a bit of a stupid question. Those people who used to fly bmi regularly (e.g. me, at least when they flew to useful places like GLA, AMS, BRU, CDG, etc) will clearly miss bmi. Those people who mainly flew BA won’t

Given bmi is a whole lot smaller than BA, it’s not a surprise that most people won’t miss it, now is it? Doh.

So to have a article entitled “http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/business-travellers-split-over-bmi-demise” is a little bit misleading, methinks…

trident3
    Participant

Well put, CP
    Makes you wonder about the motive of the original poster…..

SpeedbirdAbz
    Participant

I’ll miss them as my first choice ABZ/LHR carrier more than anything else. The RJ145’s are small, but for me, more comfortable than the bigger planes, easier to get off, retrieve baggage etc.etc. Crews always very good and as another poster said, redemption flights usually had much more availability than other airlines. Shame, they tried really hard.

Shearer
    Participant

I travelled on bmi about the same amount as BA – yet bmi’s staff always seemed more happy and engaging, all the time.

Yet, bmi’s schedules always seemed odd to me – I always checked them to Scotland and somehow on the days I travelled they were not suitable, hence the use of BA

JohnHarper
    Participant

If you look at the percentage of people who will miss BD v’s the number they must have carried in relative terms, BD will be sadly missed.

I doubt the same would be true of BA.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

JohnHarper

A good point.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I think in percentage terms a huge number of people will miss BD, a poll of this board where a suggestion that if the result is less than 50% the demise of BD is less than significant is flawed. If BD had the market share of a major carrier then the argument might have held but given their market share was relatively very small then the percentage of those missing BD is huge.

canucklad
    Participant

Another consideration to CX’s point in this discussion is that the people who will miss BMI are more than likely going to be people like me……who chose BD over BA –and now that choice will no longer be there feel a bit cheated…remember that generally there wasn’t many routes that BD and BA competed head to head !

And more importantly I will miss the BD of full service and not the LCC wanna bee that they became !

and talking about LCC will miss Baby when it goes–particularly free seat allocation and happy cabin crew…

fluterphil
    Participant

I’ll miss them!! I have used for close on 20 years and always treated well both in the air and on the ground. Have got a BA gold card but for only a year as I will never be able to earn enough tier points to retain. I will try to enjoy the short experience!!

727jesmond
    Participant

I will miss British Midland Airways, I think things started to got wrong for the airline when they became known as BMI. Seemed to loose their way, and forgot what they were good at.

Shearer
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more.
    At the time, they were asked what the i stood for, and they said “Anything you want”. I remember thinking that was remarkably vague and I definitely think it marked the start of confusion about what exactly they were for. Rather like Woolworths.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I flew Swiss the other day ZRH – LHR and the flight was code shared with BMI. I though BMI was now fully BA (IAG) owned so what are they doing code sharing with Swiss? Anne know?

Martin63
    Participant

I will,certainly miss them. I always chose BMI over BA where there was a choice to be made. Sadly they lost their way in the past 10 years but, as others have stated, their cabin and ground staff were always better than BA.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Mrs LPPS says she is missing them already, she travels regularly to EDI and doesn’t like the integration one bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls