Surinam Airways – What are they flying long haul?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• miningguy
    Participant

My colleague and I are about to jump on the Surinam Airways flight from AMS > PBM (23rd April ish).

We understand they have scrapped their (rather charming) A340, got rid of the 777 (that none of their pilots could fly) and a good chunk of their smaller fleet have been impounded.

So…..does anyone know on what wings/metal we will be flying in April? (Apparently they have bought/leased a new plane. Air Belgium were flying for them but we are unsure now). Clearly this is not an important question… more just our idle curiosity as we sit waiting for our elderly BA 777 to begin boarding back from Accra.

cwoodward
    Participant

They appear to have only 1 active aircraft – a 13 year old A320

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I can’t help you with Surinam Airways, but rather concerned that BA has reverted to the 777 on the Accra route. We are due to fly next Wednesday and it is showing as a 350. Is/was it a refurbished 777? (he asks optimistically)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s showing as an A330…

“The fleet of Surinam Airways consists of one Airbus A340-300 (operated by Air Belgium) and two Boeing 737–300 aircraft. In March 2022, Surinam Airways will receive its own Airbus A330-200.”

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/42923-surinam-airways-appoints-apg

This is an older article discussing its choices…

Five Reasons an Airbus A330 Would Suit Surinam Airways Better than a Boeing 777

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I am sure it will surprise you all to learn that KLM used to operate with Surinam Airways on its London LHR route.

At peak times KLM would deploy a Surinam Airways DC-8/63 on the route for a period during the 1970s.

Some KLM customers were surprised to see this aircraft being rostered for a humble short flight !

According to this page this aircraft was being leased from KLM.

History

cwoodward
    Participant

Tom, I bow to your perhaps better resources but mine differ with only the mentioned A320 being currently operational and with several other aircraft stored or sold.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I might be wrong. I never believe the aircraft on a route until I’m actually sitting on it !

miningguy
    Participant

So my colleague had a layover in AMS yesterday. There was a Wamos A330 lined up to do the Parbo flight….so our working theory is that this is what our plane will be.

miningguy
    Participant

David – We flew out on the A350 and had A350 seats selected on our return (8th April), however it looks like they replaced with a 777 at quite short notice. It was a bit old and sad I have to say but a lovely, cheerful crew with some newbies.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls