Surcharge madness

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

lloydah
    Participant

I was looking at booking flights from Cambridge to Amsterdam on the newly opened route with Darwin Air. The fares look reasonable until you get the add ons. I know you always get add ons but they give the fare as £45 return and the surcharges of £141 . 70. I thought Ryanscare was bad.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Well, here would be a great opportunity for the EU to legiferate on making illegal these surcharges….like Brazil did!!

HarryMonk
    Participant

Biztraveller, that would be nice. It shouldn’t need the EU, individual countries should be able to legislate, in particular with regard to fuel surcharges. However, any legislation would still be littered with loopholes and lack enforcement just like with the current Delay Compensation. The UK government would also not be particularly interested as it helps disguise the rather extortionate APD which gets lost amongst the long list of other large surcharges and numerous fees.

Shearer
    Participant

Nothing to do with the government : airlines are more than capable of highlighting/isolating the tax but choose not to.

SimonS1
    Participant

Biztraveller74 – sorry to say the EU are far to busy in areas like telling us how to serve olive oil to be able to spend time on this.

Shearer
    Participant

So you feel the EU should interfere on airlines fares?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think the EU should legislate on airfares, but I do think they should be all inclusive as there’s really no other way to compare unless you go through the whole booing process.

If airlines want to highlight the APD they could say at the end of the booking process “Includes the Governments Extortionate APD” or words to that effect!

SimonS1
    Participant

NIRscot – 21/05/2013 12:02 GMT

In an ideal world, no, we would manage without the EU full stop.

Sadly though, as has been proved with the compensation regulations, it seems there is no choice if the airlines are to behave in a responsible way.

EasyTraveller1
    Participant

I recently used KLM miles to travel from Helsinki to Bangkok return. The ticket was ‘free’; I only had to pay just over EUR 600 for taxes and surcharges. What great value these free tickets are!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls