Superhydration Pre-Flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

I wouldn’t concern yourself; I have an active gym membership and enjoyed a high fibre breakfast this morning, as is the case most days.

But I draw the line at not having a Buck’s Fizz pre-flight. Think of all that lovely vitamin C you’d miss out on.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Actually NO again! as all that juice is made from concentrate with added sugars and preservatives.

Only if it is FRESHLEY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE and not out of a bottle…

x

RichHI1
    Participant

Taking extra water during and after flight will go part way to keeping you in better condition. Avoiding diuretics such as tea and coffee is equally beneficial. Resorting to hydration sachets or using other supplements to reduce debydration should be on medical advice.

Excessive sodium can cause hypertension equally artificially raising blood sugar levels can be dangerous particularly for those with as yet undiagnosed diabetes and kidney issues.

In a way the comment about smoked salmon has a limited truth. Whilst eating scrambled eggs with smoked salmon every day would not be healthy, the human body requires minerals and nutrients in a balanced way for best absorption. For example Vitamin B requires vitamin C for improved absorption. Many supplements are just flushed through the system. Imgesting a healthy balanced diet with a healthy fluid balance in a normal healthy person is preferable to quick fix aupplements.

Bucks Fizz are healthier than Mimosas, one fairly weak Bucks Fizz will probably do no harm however moderation should be a key word and generally regular alcohol is best avoided when flying long haul.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’m pretty certain it’s freshly squeezed in F.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

On what airline? BA First is not freshly squeezed 🙁

RichHI1
    Participant

Healthier would be to eat an orange, that way you get increased Vitamin P to aid absorption. Did you know that Orange is very good for suntans? If you are in a sunny climate, eating or deinking fresh orange in the morning helps your system tan more efficiently. The Champagne not so much, though studies show limited red wine consumption can be beneficial.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Vintage Krug, read all the tips and advice Rich is providing! x

Rich good work :o) xxx

VintageKrug
    Participant

It was “freshly” squeezed (obviously not there and then) on my flights in Jan (well, exLHR, as I remember the “bits” on the side of my glass).

I’ll check again on Friday.

So shall I instruct Cook to furnish my guests with Oranges in Port as a pudding when next in sunnier climes?

I’m a big fan of oranges and satsumas; helps reduce the unpleasantness of the effects of inevitable noxious emissions when re-pressurising.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Well make sure you watch them do it!

My last flight from JFK the cabin crew where pouring from a carton?

There are lots of juice companies that sell you juice with “bits” init, just have a look when you next go food shopping orthwise just speak to Mrs VK*.

x
    * Edited from Mrs K

RichHI1
    Participant

If you are eating fresh fruit particularly citrus on flights then the juice is secondary. Though there are issues regarding preservatives, calcium addition which can impede iron absorption etc.

Poster not to be named, I am usrprised you choose a cook over a chef or chefs. :~)

Hippocampus
    Participant

Becky, I think you mean Mrs VK, not Mrs K!

RichHI1
    Participant

Hippocampus, surely it is impolite to suggest that Mrs K is V. One never asks a lady her age.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Thanks Hippocampus, changed it, have you met her? 🙂 xx

VintageKrug
    Participant

LOL. 😉

Hippocampus
    Participant

Alas, I have never met Mr & Mrs VK.

I expect I have unknowningly seen them in the Diary and Society pages of Harpers and Tatler whilst seated in the Concorde Room!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls