Suite with a view, advice wanted.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

I am looking for something very specific in London or the South East. I need a room with great views, could be a Seaview or City views that are interesting. I need a suite, perhaps on top floor with panoramic windows and a dining table for a minimum of four people. The hotel will be required to serve in the room a good 3/4 course menu with wine either via top notch room service or even butler service. I have a budget of £500 per night for the room (2 nights/weekend) and a further budget for the dinner. So far I have looked at the Mondrian with great views of The Thames at night and the Metropole Brighton. If anybody has any further ideas I would welcome them greatly.

I am suffering from primary and secondary Cancer (liver and somewhere not yet found) diagnosed early this week. MrsM and I want to get away for a couple of days and treat two friends to a great evening meal in a lovely setting. The problem is my fatigue in the afternoons/evenings does not allow me to go to restaurants. You may recall a couple of years ago a thread regarding bucket lists, unfortunately few of mine are going to be realised I fear. So the above is an important one for me.

icenspice
    Participant

MrMichael, I can’t tell you how much I am sorry to hear this….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

MrMichael, I wish you only good health, strength and belief you can beat this wicked wicked illness..

Have you considered the Shangri in the Shard…

I recall the Mandarin in Hyde Park has some wonderful park facing rooms….

Cloud-9
    Participant

Mr Michael. I am so sorry to learn of this dreadful news. I hope that medication is able to provide quality of life for you.

Alas, I am unable to help with your request but have every confidence that our fellow contributors will be able to assist

MrMichael
    Participant

Thanks all for your good wishes. I intend to put up a darn good fight.

Unfortunately Martyn both those are way beyond my budget. But I keep hunting.

canucklad
    Participant

Firstly MrMichael, there are no words I can add that will help with your awful news. I just hope that your oncoming journey allows at least a wee bit more of your bucket wishes to be realized.
    And on that point, have you considered looking at a serviced apartment , and hiring a fine dining catering company.
    I recall my mates company put him up for the weekend in a plush apartment overlooking tower bridge, looking west. Alas I can’t remember the name of the establishment.
    I’m sure whatever you decide you’ll create a valued memory for all that attend.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrMichael

So sorry to hear your news – stay strong and never give in, my friend, you have my thoughts and best wishes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know this isn’t specifically what you are looking for, but it is still a darn good view for lunch or dinner at very sensible prices.

I often use the Blue Print Café on the Southbank

About Blueprint Cafe

There are some gallery pictures but I have attached 2 ‘non professional photos’, one taken inside and one taken a few feet from the front door.

EDIT (Not sure why the pics didn’t upload, both were below 512kb – tried twice)…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m so sorry to read of your news MrMichael, what awful news to receive and I admire your courage in dealing with it. I’m not sure I could be so brave. I shall be thinking of you and wish you all the best going forward.

I just checked the Shard website:
    http://www.shangri-la.com/london/shangrila/rooms-suites/offers/
    and they have some good offers close to your budget. These offers are also better than those found on Booking.com etc.

My knowledge of the south coast is limited to the Hythe area, but I’ve yet to find a stunning hotel with sea views.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

MrMichael, sorry to hear your news. Something we all dread.

The hotel that springs to mind is the Marriott County Hall. Right next to the London Eye, with views accross Westminster Bridge to Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Also good for people watching as they stroll along the banks of the Thames.

Hope this helps.

peter19
    Participant

MrMichael, I echo the above comments and also sad to hear your news. I wish you all the best going forward.

Sorry I cant assist any more on the hotel front I’m always normally in town with not much view! however I was in the Hilton Waldorf the other month and was lucky to pick a top floor room on the Hilton App with a nice view over London a few weeks ago. Just got lucky though.

MichaelRH
    Participant

I’m very sorry to hear your news. This felt worthy of my first post on a forum that I enjoy each day.

Three suggestions spring to mind. First the Royal Garden Hotel which has great rooms overlooking Kensington Gardens and across London.

Next the Canary Riverside Plaza – which used to be the Four Seasons Canary Wharf. Again, the rooms and suites overlooking the river are great.

Third – the Cheval Three Quays for great views from their serviced apartments.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Dear MrMichael – very sad to hear this news but wishing you all the very best with your battle. I have always enjoyed reading your posts very much, and tend to agree with much that you post. My best wishes to you and your family.

The Chelsea Harbour Hotel may possibly work for you. Now managed by Millennium Hotels.
    They have River View Suites, that they advertise from £290, though suspect they may cost more. They measure 48 sqm / 517 sq ft, though you may need to request a dining room table in place of the sofa / easy chairs in the living area of the suite.
    They have a balcony and should offer a reasonable view of the marina and River Thames.

stevescoots
    Participant

Sorry to hear of this News MR Micheal, whilst I cannot offer any advice on suites I hope you are able to complete your entire bucket list and add some extras!

Jules61
    Participant

MrMichael, very sad to hear your news and I echo the comments of those who have already replied.

You might like to consider The Grand Hotel in Brighton; they have a very spacious suite which appears to have the facility for a full sized dining table and should be well within your budget.

I wish you all the best with the rest of your bucket list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls