Suggestions: need a handful of tier points to reach Gold

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Looks like I’ll be about 50-60 points short of Gold by the time this tier points year ends on 8 August.

Well, that’s not good enough. Need to hit target. Does anyone know where one can find out what flights are worth what TPs?

Any suggestions for a weekend away, because I think it has to be done. Thanks.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi TOH

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb

The Calculator above should give you what you need. Otherwise Club Europe to the likes of Amsterdam can be very reasonable (a common suggestion on here). 80 Tier Points for a Round Trip.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Wait for the BA sale around last week in May, and book up a Club Europe return somewhere nice but inexpensive. Expect about £200 rtn.

Geneva is always easy to get to, simple free train from the airport to the City and outside the EU so you can get the decent Duty Free allowances and a great place this time of year for a day trip, boat around the lake, late lunch somewhere yummy and head home.

Best offer right now is Bordeaux for £199 rtn in CE, but you have to get to Gatwick and the lounge is nicer at Heathrow. Use the Low Fare Finder to find the deals:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/low-price-finder/public/en_gb

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll second VK’s suggestion of GVA. Great place to visit and if you stay just outside in Nyon, Montreux or Lausanne it can be inexpensive as well.

Avoid July (and August) when Geneva becomes Riyadh-by-the-Lake and all the prices suddenly shoot up as the Arabs seeking to escape their harsh summer migrate there. The Swiss are not slow to take advantage!

I did give some suggestions as to hotels and restaurants in another thread, but I’ll happily repeat them if you wish.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Ah. Thanks for the link, Tim. Bookmarked.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

And another useful link. Thanks, VK. Actually, I live equidistant from LGW and LHR, so LGW is fine.

Geneva, though… been there, several times, so somewhere else maybe. Istanbul, perhaps…

Andrew66
    Participant

Hi TOH , if LGW is fine and you just want to pick up the TPs with no fuss then perhaps the quickest way is a short trip to Jersey JER , CE is 80 TP return , so if you only need 50 then CE one way and ( dare I even say ) ET one way !!! , if you want you have quite a choice of flights so you don’t even have to spend a night there if you have little time on your hands . A taxi from the airport to the coast near St Helier is £10 , nice duty free area at Jersey airport too .

Shearer
    Participant

If you want to make a holiday from it too I hearily recommend Verona for Lake Garda, from £239 rtn in J.

There’s also this offer in today’s Standard from LCY. Not sure if this would affect tier points.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fx/public/en_gb/cugalias-wx847?source=CUG_wx847&eId=111042

AspirationalFlyer
    Participant

My recommendation would be a short trip to Amsterdam. My rationale is: (I) one can depart from Heathrow, Gatwick or City depending on work commitments or indeed what happens to be cheapest Club Europe flights; (ii) it is cheap, quick and easy to travel from Amsterdam Airport to the centre of the city; (iii) there is lots to do, including a visit to the newly reopened Rijksmuseum; and (iv) for those that enjoy their time at airports I think the BA lounge at Amsterdam Airport is well run and there is a good selection of shops, as well as the viewing platform and other forms of entertainment.
    Istanbul is a fantastic city but it is a relatively long flight for a TP run and the ticket is likely to be consideraly more expensive than some of the other options (although I believe a CE return would earn you 160 tier points). I did mention to travel Club Europe to Istanbul return last summer for about £450 but that ticket was booked in the BA sale.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Again, thanks all. Looks like Bordeaux is the favoured candidate, with Jersey the runner-up (never been there!).

VintageKrug
    Participant

If you’re staying overnight, book it as a BA holiday (i.e. including a one night hotel) and in CE you get a 5,000 avios bonus:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-avios-holidays/public/en_gb

Can sometimes work out less expensive than buying separately.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

VK, you are a star. I’ll do just that. Mrs TOH has decided she will come along as well. Well, it would be unfair to make her stay at home, I suppose.

VintageKrug
    Participant

How generous of you to take your current wife! Have a lovely and lucrative weekend.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I sometimes refer to her as “my first wife”, to keep her on her toes 🙂

(Over thirty years of marriage now….)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls