Sudan Travel followed by the US – Any experience

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• miningguy
    Participant

Hi All – Looking for any feedback on experience here (rather than the rules which are quite clear). I am an ESTA holder about to travel to the Sudan. I understand that this would invalidate my US ESTA and I would then need to apply for a visa to enter the US in the future. Does anyone knows what this intails? i.e. Is it a plain business visa I would apply for or would I need to contact the US embassy in London and endure months of correspondance. Any advise/feedback would be appreciated.

craigwatson
    Participant

If you are a British passport holder, then get a second passport. Use one for entry into Sudan, and use the other for entry into the US. It is very commonly done.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Where a 2 passport strategy may not work is if you are asked on the/or any US arrival forms/documents what countries you have visited within the last (x) months. Personally, I would not risk a non disclosure to the US authorities.

miningguy
    Participant

I do have a second passport so *probably* I could do it. I just darent risk it with the US….some other countries yes. Anyone have any experience as an “ESTA citizen” of having to apply for a visa? This also applies to Iraq where I imagine there are a bunch of expats so I am hoping that someone has gone through this….

Diplomat_BSB
    Participant

I am an Italian citizen. After trips to Sudan and Iraq, I applied for a B1/2 visa. The process was simple – no questions asked. The visa is valid for 10 years.

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

Hi, just apply for a “paper visa”. Takes a few days and patience but gets the job done. Amazingly there is a huge american embassy in Khartoum.

Diplomat_BSB
    Participant

Just to add, US immigration officials always ask me why I have a B2 to visa on my Italian passport, and I need to explain that it is because I’ve been to Sudan and Iraq. But it is usually cordial (for US immigration standards) and I never had any issues getting into the US.

sailandfly
    Participant

[postquote quote=1203458]

My apologises, I accidentaly pressed “Report” button, can’t cancel it but I hope Admin can.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls