Strike in France to cause travel disruption

Back to Forum

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  richardofFrancepp 9 Jan 2020
at 20:34

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Many flights, train services have been cancelled.

An alert on Eurostar.com states that “we will now run a reduced timetable from December 5 to December 10.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-strike-flights-trains-cancelled-easyjet-eurostar-foreign-office-british-airways-a9232166.html

Thelocal.fr reports that just 10 per cent of trains will be running in France tomorrrow (Thursday).

https://www.thelocal.fr/20191203/just-1-in-10-trains-will-be-running-in-france-on-thursday-as-strikes-begin

Bullfrog
    Participant

The strike by French unions was called well in advance.

Airlines were able to plan ahead of the strike day, yet 24 hours before the strike day, my flight was cancelled.

The airline is refusing to honour payment of 250 euros, under the EU directive 261, claiming the cancellation was beyond their control.

capetonianm
    Participant

Planning ahead may not allow an airline to operate all its scheduled flights during a strike as they are dependent on so many entities such as air traffic control and airport handling to allow the flight to operate.

They are therefore correct in not honouring an EU261 claim, even though it can never be claimed that a strike in France is an unforeseen or exceptional event.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thanks capetonianm .. Ryanair cancelled the Thursday flight, for which I had a ticket booked, and their subsequent flight of the week on the same route, today, has also been cancelled.

I pity those passengers booked on the return flight to London, as with last Thursday’s flight cancelled, and today’s flight, next Tuesday’s flight is likely to be full, with insufficient seats to cope with the number of passengers needing to get back to Stansted.

pheighdough
    Participant

French Air Traffic Controllers are back on strike again today (Mon 9 Dec)

Industrial action is planned 09 December 2019 from 1800 UTC until 11 December 2019 0500 UTC

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Disruption set to continue.

According to this report Eurostar services between December 9 and December 12 will be affected.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-strikes-travel-eurostar-trains-cancelled-british-airways-flights-a9238491.html

MarcusGB
    Participant

Having travelled out to LIS with KLM ex LHR, due to fly back on AF 12/12/19.
    Checked in on AF this morning, LIS-CDG-LHR 2 flights. Seating plan suspended.
    Email received 10am, to say Air Traffic control strike 12th, flights may or may not be cancelled.
    Right to rebook, right to cancel and refund or travel later.
    My check-ins were cancelled on line.

Unable to re-book on AF or KLM sites. My ticket was bought through KLM actually.
    Another £172 wanted for the one flight on KLM same day. No fees or upgraded ticket class taken off.
    No offer to re-book another Airline on line. No ability to cancel ticket on line.
    On Line Form to fill in for refund of return part of ticket, which would not cover another Airline’s 1 way.
    Form would not submit, timed out, despite several attempts and now into 2 hrs of finding solutions.

Tried KLM and AF sites.

Booked a TAP one way ticket, not prepared to risk if either flight cancelled, or worse, get stuck in CDG.
    Many stranded for Eurostar and other flights. Friends offered a ticket by train a week after due back, and left to travel to NL’s to get back from there.
    Either ATC on strike and no flights operate, or Air France select which do and do not?
    So they do have some control over their flights, and short hauls first to go, much like BA out of LHR.

Called Platinum FB line, through to AF.
    Unhelpful as always. Not offered to re-book on other Airlines, either BA or TAP. KLM Not then available via AMS. I did ask.
    State i have to make a claim for a different air ticket, EU Compensation not apply, refund of half of ticket, but my ticket not refundable!!!
    Yet again the difference between the Dutch and KLM attitude, and Air France and the French.

In the end i have a single ticket booked on TAP, good new A321 Neo with an Economy plus seat and cabin. Euros 141 single, good for day before.

I forwarded the ticket to AF from TAP with an email requiring them to fund it plus my refund, and a claim for compensation.
    They has sent an email saying may or may not fly, and it would be foolish to get stuck in CDG or Paris where thousands are stranded, trains booked for the next week IF they run, and flights also being affected.

This will of course impact on the KLM side of the AF/KLM Group, and share values, yet another dent on the AF side, seeming to be one every year.

Atrocious cannot be bothered, do not care Air France attitudes again, despite being a Platinum FB member.
    And i wonder why i have avoided them, when these incidents occur, their response remains opposite to KLM.
    KLM make arrangements when travel gets disrupted, and always offers you options, and your rights outlined to you.
    Pro-active, opposite of AF.

Never again. Hope for the day when Loss making AF is separated from the standing and profit making KLM, and the reputation remains Worldwide positive.
    AF has an awful reputation by comparison, and every time i go through CDG it is re-enforced by the appalling behaviour observed by the staff there.

5 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

In all my travelling, I’ve only done maybe 6 sectors on AF, of which two were longhaul in C, and very good. Apart from their utterly uncaring attitude many years ago when I flew from Manaus-Paris with severe food poisoning, they’re not bad in the air. The Achilles Heel is CDG and the poorly trained and rude employees there, and that’s the main reason I won’t fly AF. They are worse than IB ground staff at Barajas, and their rudeness takes a lot of beating.

It’s a shame as AF has the potential to be a well above average airline if they could manage the labour problems which bedevil France, and run a better hub.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Just received a message on my phone via KLM APP, my AF Flight CDG-LHR cancelled tomrw.
    So i was quite instinctively right, not to be flown into a region in chaos.
    Then my whole booking has disappeared from my account, so i have no returns to anywhere!

So content, i booked TAP, as there now will be some rush for these other flights.

I also had a great experience with AF to the Far East long haul in the summer, on their 789 Dreamliner, and new Biz Suites.
    They have new A350 services to start next year to some Far East / SE Asia destinations such as BKK, with the new suites.

However, the ground services, back up when things go amiss, which is a part of regular travel, completely puts me off.
    The phone support is atrocious, compared to KLM that simply want to find solutions for you.
    So glad i was not transported into the Chaos in France at the moment, it would have been a foolish gamble, unable to even get out on any form of transport, and no hotels.

Going through CDG is a concrete nightmare, and attitudes around make you ashamed to be flying with that Airline.
    I feel quite content with the calm of Schiphol, the pleasant quiet and efficiency of KLM and the airport running so well.
    Even though much building work going on for the new extension of terminal, to see them into another 15 yr ahead plan.

Be interesting to experience TAP and the new A321 Neo’s with Economy plus sets, fast track, priority baggage, and meals drink included.
    Make quite a difference to the bland dirty faded Air France a320 ranges of fleet.
    I see TAP’s new A333 Neo’s as i landed also, launch customer for these new aircraft.

I trust the experience of other BT regular Travellers on the forum, have their own gut instincts and take such measures, when these events are anticipated or occur, and make their own decisions also?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

And Eurostar says it has now extended the period of disruption.

Its website today talks about December 13 when it expects to run a regular service.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/disruption/service-update

AMcWhirter
    Participant

So content, i booked TAP, as there now will be some rush for these other flights.

Thanks for all your feedback, Marcus.

Should you need to visit the toilet you may find that TAP has fitted its A321 Neos with Smart Lav and/or Space-Flex. Some travellers complain about the tight space.

https://services.airbus.com/en/in-flight-experience/cabin-upgrades/optimisation/space-flex.html

https://services.airbus.com/en/in-flight-experience/cabin-upgrades/optimisation/smart-lav.html

canucklad
    Participant

Impacted my long weekend away in Seville.

My FR Flight delayed out of EDI for almost 3 hours on Saturday morning , primarily due to the inbound flight from Seville presumably not getting ATC clearance.
    Oddly ours was pretty much the only flight delayed , flights to Paris ,Geneva and Milan all left on time.

Credit to Ryanair though, we all got a text with an instruction to redeem a £3 coupon at participating outlets .
    However in classic Ryanair fashion the ping arrived on my phone just as the flight boards changed our status to Preboarding , even though they knew how long the flight was going to be delayed !

The Brewdog Pub ( recommend it) did a magnificent job in pouring quite a few ½ pints (£3 worth) to quite a few parties on the same flight . Sadly for the Ryanair bean counters it was right next to our departure gate : )

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi Alex.
    Well that is a challenge!
    Pre-decision whether to enter left or right, depending which way you prefer to accomplish matters, and can navigate the door handle!
    I will certainly try the Biz / Econ + at the front to compare, but not be taking any loo photos at this stage in my travel life!

I am surprised they are not multiple stacking as yet.

I recall a new LH A346 ex Munich, where i wandered back a little, and discovered people queuing up to go Downstairs for something, but clearly a single floor aircraft.
    LH had cleverly put bathrooms in the belly of the aircraft in Economy, with at least 6 there if i recall?
    I am always surprised that this has never been carried through, and been more popular, to use cargo space and also fit much more seating, raise revenues?
    Must have been popular for the Mile Highers….

stevescoots
    Participant

In all my travelling, I’ve only done maybe 6 sectors on AF, of which two were longhaul in C, and very good. Apart from their utterly uncaring attitude many years ago when I flew from Manaus-Paris with severe food poisoning, they’re not bad in the air. The Achilles Heel is CDG and the poorly trained and rude employees there, and that’s the main reason I won’t fly AF. They are worse than IB ground staff at Barajas, and their rudeness takes a lot of beating.

It’s a shame as AF has the potential to be a well above average airline if they could manage the labour problems which bedevil France, and run a better hub.

Same for me, in all my years maybe 8 sectors on AF J and always found them to be very good in the air, also the AF ground side good but CDG staff (not AF) one would think were trained at LHR……

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Flew from LHR to CDG last night with BA. I believe all their flights ran yesterday and we were only 10mins late landing.

However, the traffic on the roads to Orly at past midnight was something else.

BA’s IT is still up to its normal standards as earlier this morning they sent me an email advising my flight (yesterday) may be subject to delays!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller December 2019 / January 2020 edition
Business Traveller December 2019 / January 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls