Storm Eunice: Planes struggle to land in strong winds

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-60431248

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But this 2020 video of an Etihad A380 landing at LHR takes the biscuit.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Channel 5 News has just given Big Jet TV some air time.

As a spotter and knowing two commercial pilots, am I being a killjoy in wishing that Jerry Dyer would do his homework? He’d then know the reason why the aircraft is coming in sideways!

3 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1204308]

Fully agree. Nose into the wind. But people love to make a drama out of what is a standard procedure.

Having said that, I would never underestimate the skill and nerve it takes to land safely in such conditions.

Chapeau to the crew.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

As Esselle mentions above
    The ability to cope with adverse conditions with skill and confidence is exactly what pilots of first level major airlines are paid for and why so much attention is paid to the maintenance of both aircraft and airport runways.

The images may look spectacular but in truth they are something of a ‘mugs eyeful’ as of course there was never any real danger to ether aircraft or passengers. Some like myself would have rather enjoyed the experience from a window seat others of course were perhaps mildly terrified for a few minutes.

The landings mentioned were of course well planned by all involved (otherwise they would have diverted) and in truth the pilots would very likely have enjoyed the exercise.
    Good pictures though.
    Perhaps a ‘good day out’ for most concerned!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1204308]

The camera work is great but always best to put Jerry Dyer on mute.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Although all pilots are trained on ‘crab landing’ but we have to thank every pilot who completes a difficult landing.

Simulator training is one thing, in real life I am sure it takes a lot of confidence to get the correct crab angle and adjust the path at the right moment.

I always thank (in my mind) the pilots after every takeoff and landing when I fly.

Maaki
    Participant

During the present storms I had a similar landing, but with an Airbus A220 (formerly called Bombardier CS-Series). Almost a 90-degree angle to the runway, which I could see “straight” in front of me.
    The landing itself was a quite hard hit of the strip, but I think, under these conditions it is necessary.
    Although pilots are trained for these conditions (and I won´t enter an aircraft, if I would not be convinced, that they are) it is always really spectacular!!
    Somehow love it….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Storm Eunice: Planes struggle to land in strong winds’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls