SQ’s first A350 to fly to Amsterdam.

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

GenerationY
    Participant

SQ A350 will be heading to Schiphol from April onwards.
    Seems like SIA is fighting GIA for Indonesian market to the Netherlands. Good on ya Amsterdam. 🙂

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/sia-to-fly-first-a350-in-april-to-amsterdam-in-the-netherlands

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good news for Schiphol. But it actually shows the level of competition faced by SIA as hardly any capacity increase there for many years.

GenerationY
    Participant

HI AMc.

I think so too, considering AMS is not a Star Alliance Home, I suspect SQ depends on point to point Singapore and Dutch passengers and transit passenger to/from Indonesia. From my observation on some of my flights between AMS and SIN with SQ, most of the passengers were Indonesians. It makes sense as Indonesia to SQ is like China to CX.

However, given that GA has been upping their game, I guess this move is simply to keep SQ’s Indonesian and Dutch customers happy and away from GA, who happens to be growing in the right direction, and becoming a bigger and bigger threat to SQ.

My thought is so for two reasons. Firstly, SQ had never really invested in their AMS route like the other routes such ad LHR, CDG and FRA. They only started to make improvements when GA introduced its 777 and perhaps KL’s recent transformation. The introduction of A350 to Amsterdam is most probably their way to lure more Dutch/Indonesian customers and to keep Europe’s 4th busiest airport in their network.

Secondly, SQ had enjoyed loyalty from Indonesians as Indonesians never really trust GA. But the market is changing. As more Indonesians are starting to travel far abroad, Indonesian are also starting to prefer GA over the overly priced SQ. Beside that, CX has also been doing really well in Indonesian market. I can imagine that it is a big concern for SQ. Not only EK And EY who are threatening them, but GA and CX too. The A350 to Amsterdam is perhaps one of their way to show Indonesia that they are committed to serve the country by deploying their latest aircraft to Indonesia’s number one destination in Europe. And of course to certain extent says ‘look, we are still light years ahead than GA.’ 😉

JohnHarper
    Participant

I will watch this with interest. As has often been said, SQ never compete on price so the A350 is upping the game in improving the experience without really adding to capacity. I think the current offering is the 77W so the A350 should be a significant improvement. Certainly on QR there is no comparison.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

While true SQ has little or no *A feeder traffic into AMS, canny UK travelers will buy cheap KLM or Easyjet flights into AMS then take advantage of the cheaper ex AMS fares. Not only that, but many Belgian and Germans bordering the Netherlands use AMS so there could be some good feeder traffic coming to SQ from elsewhere.

GenerationY
    Participant

HI John,

I have to say, although SQ J seat is slightly better than GA. food is actually better in GA J, but then food is subjective. I have never tried QR, so sadly I can’t compare. As I rely a lot on KLM, and they have been superb both on and off flight, I always try to fly Skyteam whenever possible.

HI Lugano,

My bad. Actually when booking to SIN from AMS I am always given an option by SQ to go via LHR, where AMS-LHR flight is operated by KLM or FRA with LH, but not to, for example Jakarta or Australia. So, perhaps AMS is a popular port for connecting passengers beyond SIN, and SQ is trying to fill the plane for such passengers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello GenerationY

In fact I was writing about SIA’s operations in AMS for Business Traveller some 30 years ago.

Back in the mid-1980s, SIA was doing well in AMS (probably better than KLM on the SIN route) and was a fierce rival.

SIA was, I believe, the first airline in Holland to close its city centre AMS office and relocate to an office building in the suburbs with no “walk-in” access to the general public.

At that time it was a revolutionary move as airlines would maintain costly downtown ticket offices for prestige reasons.

As I’ve said many times, in the past SIA was a discount airline in Europe, selling mainly via the trade.

It grew market share through keen pricing. In those days, SIA was non-IATA so had the freedom to price as it wanted.

Why am I telling you all this ?

It’s because SIA eventually joined Star and became part of the establishment.

With the exception of London, the carrier has never really expanded in Europe as people thought it would.

SIA’s potential market has now shifted to the Gulfies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls