SQ Upgrade Policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• cbroo79
    Participant

I believe, that the underlying issue MartynSinclair is touching on, is the general attitude of SQ management towards their (and other Staralliance Gold+) loyal customers. I agree that SQ is highly overrated. Whilst on-board service can be very good, ticket prices are relatively higher, their seating product in c-class is plain bad and uncomfortable, their lounges other than SIN are average and my interactions with their ground staff, supervisors and CS centers (on th ephone or in writing) have always been disappointing. Thus, as we have a choice, I agree with previous posts and prefer to use other carriers (Thai, Swiss, Virgin) with a better attitude.

Flyer_Matt
    Participant

I have been upgraded SIN-LHR with SQ. Discounted Y class to J class, aisle bulkhead. Upgrade happened at the gate, I had Krisflyer Gold at the time. It was on 747, not A380 or 77W.

Previously discussed why SQ has such a strict policy to upgrade with one of their sales managers in Sydney. It is to keep it exclusive. Also their execs (well maybe not the most senior) don’t even get business class when on business trips. I am definately against their policy towards PPS club and Gold passengers. They certainly should upgrade on occasions, it is a sign of appreciation and keeps their biggest spenders loyal.

Take a look at http://www.SQTalk.com there are a lot of disgruntled members. All wondering why bother with SQ. Where you used to not get good treatment for upgrades, at least award levels were ok and not so hard to come by. Now with the business & first products so readily available on the network – they still flog it as ‘new’ and charge double the miles for it, complete joke.

As a top tier freq. flyer member, you are much better off with other carriers. I have had success with BA/QF/CX/TG/LX/LH/UA, many of them are known for offering upgrades to their loyal customers when operational issues occur. BA is great for it.

I no longer bank miles with SQ, all my miles go to LH. I’m just planning how I can burn up my remaining SQ miles.

lsd1908
    Participant

I have mixed experience with SQ.
    Since I flew for once First from EU to Australia, in A380, I was upgraded next time from SIN to MEL into FIRST and ended up being the only passenger in FIRST.
    But its really rare and even trying to pay for upgrade at check-in will be rejected due to a 24 or even 48hours advance purchase policy.

Changed recently to Qantas FIRST on the same route and loved it. Hope they get their A380 back into service soon.

SilverKris is useless, since you have to fly double as much for a reward than with LH Group. Miles&More seems still to have the best value for earnind and spending miles.

UrsCarloGrassi
    Participant

Upgrades with SQ occur after my experience (star Alliance gold) very arbitrarily. In general I look at the Quality of SQ as overrated. The “dog-boxes” in SQ Biz are uncomfortable for big Traveller (190cm). I did a little better experiences with Lufthansa (SGN-BKK), with THAI occur upgrades relatively often and gold ROP are preferred. Became several times upgrade ZRH-BKK and BKK-ZRH. The FFP of Qatar Airways (QR) is interesting where I got an Upgrade almost with every 3rd or 4-th flight. Therefore, have joined to the Qatar FFP “Privilege” – with less than 3 Biz (200% of miles) Roundtrips a for free Roundtrip ticket in Eco for members of the family. QR miles can also collected and redeemed in Lufthansa. And the real goodfeelservice in BIz of QR is substantial excellent.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

cbroo – the underlying issue of my post had nothing directly to do with the lack of upgrading pax on SQ flights but the fact that pilots are lounging around and sleeping in First when they have perfectly adequate rest areas within the flight deck area on the 747. I know pilots work hard, I know pilots need rest, I know that it is stressful. However, with 4 pilots on board a roomy flight deck with sleeping quarters, I dont understand the need for the pilots to use the First class facilities and making it very blatant at the same time that they are crew.

CHINATRADERJMR
    Participant

I fly SQ long haul first class 20-30 times a year and I must say it is VERY COMMON for me to be the only passenger in the entire cabin while C and Y are full. I know people like upgrades and I do as well. But it is a nice feeling to know that in some cases (Singapore and Jet Air), I will not be in a crowded cabin or can even have the cabin to myself

cbroo79
    Participant

my bet, Martyn. should have been the first name of the discussion; StephenDoyle

Sorry for the confusion, cbroo

Flyboylondon
    Participant

It would be nice if BA could adopt the same policy. Sometimes upgrades are made too easy and why do they upgrade. If you go to your butcher and ask for sirloin steak and you go there every week is he going to upgrade it to filet steak?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Actually Flyboy my butcher often gives me a better cut of meat, or throws in something else for free!!!

ValentineTay
    Participant

Its all about the agenda of each airline and each cabin. The highlight for premier classes are exclusivity. Passengers who paid full fare demand for it. They want their space and privacy. And the premier class policy is maintained so that the brand of each products are maintained prestigious. Same goes to your LV, Chanel, etc. You do not see those company promoting sales. Yet do you complain to the companies regarding why the companies are not doing sales. Upgrading in there is possible if you join the krisflyer membership and start patronizing SIA and clock in your mileage. The more you fly, the more chances for upgrading when the load is full.

ValentineTay
    Participant

And, as for the pilots, they have the rights to get their seat and food after the fully paid passengers have them. Their old contact with their employers is stated and stipulated as it is. The management of my national carrier would love to do something to remove them from the premium classes, so that more passengers and business are added. Unfortunately, the pilots’ union is stronger than the other employees’ union although not as strong as the overseas ones.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls