SQ or CX A350?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks, I am headed to Bengaluru (BLR) from Seattle and I have a choice of SQ’s A350 (SFO-SIN) or CX’s A350 (YVR-HKK) on the first leg, both on business class. I haven’t flown either airline in my life and I get a shot of flying premium now, on their newest aircraft!

Which would you recommend? The reviews are quite confusing! 🙁

1) which has the better in-flight service and seats?
    2) who has the better lounge (aka, nice food options and shower facilities) in their home base? And faster wifi.

I’m ok departing from either YVR or SFO. Likewise, landing time in BLR isn’t an issue either as I head to my parents’ home.

On one hand, I want CX because I’m a oneworlder and can easily pick up 26K miles on this trip (I hardly collect more than 2-3K miles a year on Star alliance). But on the flip side, who says no to a SQ J Class flight experience? That too, on their latest aircraft with their latest product. AND…. well, the “Singapore Girl” and the Singapore Sling!

Decisions…decisions….

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Although a CX “lifer”, in trying to be objective whoever you decide on will produce a good experience. If the miles has value then it makes it easier to go with CX. If you are pulled towards the Singapore girls then ……..,. CX´s personnel in Business are easily on a par with SQ in my opinion. The main difference for me is CX is far more flexible where SQ is far more rigid in the way they do things i.e their way or……. .

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

… I forgot to add the CX The Pier Lounge, specifically the First Lounge is excellent if your status within OW will get you in.Food choice excellent.

K1ngston
    Participant

I am Singapore based and I have to agree with CathayLoyalist2 views, not because SQ is not good, its because of the benefits you will get flying CX.. He is right The Pier Lounge is far superior to the SQ equivalent and the tier points are surely better banked than gaining anything from Star Alliance

Its a tough choice but you wont be disappointed on either!

Inquisitive
    Participant

I took SFO-SIN on SQ A350 and it is is excellent flight. Although very long nonstop flight, but timing is quite good for sleep, relax and enjoy the in flight service.
    Service wise not much different between SQ and CX, but food quality and wine list seems to be better in SQ. Plus you can book the cook.
    Singapore to Bangalore flight time is shorter for SQ but you reach there late evening.
    My suggestion will be to try new thing, however my main check will be layover time at Singapore vs Hongkong.
    I do recall shower facility at CX business class lounge (although I was last there 2 years ago), SQ business class lounge has shower facility.
    On the other hand you get lot of OW points with CX.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks, thank you so much for your responses. I may end up going with Cathay because it’s US$1K cheaper. That said, the advantage I would’ve had with SQ would be that I fly SQ metal all through to BLR whereas here, it’s a mix of CX and Cathay Dragon. I read reviews of Cathay Dragon (including this site, someone reviewed a Hong Kong – Shanghai A330 flight from last summer) and it doesn’t seem to be too bad itself. The oneworld miles I stand to gain on CX (for a novice business traveller compared to a majority of you) is mouth watering!

Flightlevel
    Participant

You won’t be disappointed by CX and their HKG lounges are maybe the best in the world.
    The advantage of air miles is worth more than SQ perhaps ‘though if you travel more in the future you could get Oneworld and Star miles?
    Certainly save money and CX Dragon is almost as good as CX, their seats are not so good, if tired you’ll sleep ok!

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks Flightlevel! Yes, there maybe a 2nd trip to India in June and I may consider SQ for that.

Every year, I first aim for oneworld Sapphire (American Airlines “Platinum”) followed by Delta (skyteam) Silver. After the India trip, I’ll only about 2K miles short of Sapphire which I can make up during the rest of the year. My only regret is that I didn’t fly QR when one could still accrue AA miles. Now, it’s a moot point.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Whilst on this topic and now that it’s looking more CX: is their 77W experience vastly different from the A350’s? The way the schedule is shaping up, I may end up on the 77W from YVR – HKK and then 359 on the way back.

ghlotus
    Participant

CX´s personnel in Business are easily on a par with SQ in my opinion. The main difference for me is CX is far more flexible where SQ is far more rigid in the way they do things i.e their way or……. .

I completely agree with Cathay Loyalist. SQ is certainly efficient, but is there such a thing maybe as TOO efficient? SQ cabin staff irritate me. They seem to be “over-trained” to the point of being robotic. Every attendant will answer every question on-script, in exactly the same way. Final landing instructions (“seat upright, window shades open” etc.) take place a good 40 minutes before landing. CX staff a good deal more relaxed and human, while still carrying out their duties efficiently.

I also find that CX is much more generous with upgrades than SQ.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks ghlotus!

Also, with regards to my question on CX A350 vs 77W, I found this link on flyertalk. Overall summary – newer cabins and all, but overall marginal difference.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877010-a350-vs-777-business-sfo-comparison.html

Flightlevel
    Participant

Fly both CX ‘planes shorthaul and longhaul and A350 slightly better because more modern and more comfortable seats ‘though maybe its the ride on the newer computer controlled aircraft?
    Personally find the older IFE less confusing ‘though CX A350s have wifi!

MarkivJ
    Participant

thanks! I usually avoid wifi/work on flights, good IFE and food options (particularly snacks, etc. between meals) is all I care for! 🙂 I just booked for Hindu vegetarian meals for the flights. Good part – I get to sample both A350 and 77W. Bad news, there’s very short transit time (about 1.5 hours both ways) so I doubt I’ll get to enjoy the lounge (unless the incoming flight lands early and I dash out the door the minute it opens, lol)

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Markis J, there isn’t really much qualitative difference in the cabin interior on the A350 vs the B777 – there have been some minor tweaks to the seats but nothing earth-shattering. The B777 feels a little more spacious IMHO but on the other hand the A350 is latest generation with better pressurisation and humidity.

The main difference with Cathay Dragon is that their business class seat – even for Bangalore which is one of their longest routes – is a regional seat, so not lie-flat. If you are able to wangle the HKG-BLR leg in first class, you will get the same seat as CX long-haul business. Having said that, despite being 6’3″ I find the regional seat extremely comfortable – it is well-padded, and has a comfortable lazy-boy recline position.

Since you are Sapphire you won’t have access to the F lounges, which is a shame, but overall I would rate CX lounges – especially in HK – as being among the best, and certainly streets ahead of the SQ J lounges (at least those that I have encountered, which includes those in SIN). I would particularly recommend The Bridge, which is a combined F&J lounge with a range of different sections, each with different ambience. You may also be able to access their new lounge, The Deck, which opens next month.

Happy travels!

MarkivJ
    Participant

IAN, very good advice. Thank you sir!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls