SQ new 773 /A333 Regional business seat to oz

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• samidxb
    Participant

Totally agree with all the negative comments on SQ. What is most irritating is that their consider their new product far too superior for normal redemption and as such you can only redeem it if you are having Krisflyer miles and that too, for double the number of miles. If you plan using your other Star alliance FFP miles, then forget about it.

ChrisFreeman
    Participant

Margie Logarta, the Asian Editor of Business Traveller, no doubt reviews these comments.

So, are we going to get a proper review of SQ and their use of the old business class – or will it just be more awards for SQ?

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

ChrisFreeman are you referring to my comments on you ?? If it so–sorry mate-I am not Margie Logarta and not any edtior of any travel magazine. I am frequent flyer like anybody here in this platform sharing my experiences to you all.

Regarding to your plea for more “proper review”–what do you think is a proper review for SQ??–If you have taken time reading those threads over SQ and it’s latest regional C class–It was not a successful start I would say. About the SQ service–the comments are on par–but at the moment it wasn’t actually good. I personally believe that the service standards and quantity of food in certain routes are worsening. SQ should keep an eye on that.

I am actually amazed how good SQ and CX are rated in the Asian edition Survey 2009. Both airlines are not that absolutely outstanding as in the past years.
    I would like to have seen NH as best first class as they have really got a great first class product–but they lack PR. What about NZ in Eco class–it is a great seat with plenty of pitch/iInseat videoscreen/ great service?? But here as well most Asian/Pazific travellers just tend not to travel often with these two airlines–so I would say CX and SQ have got good PR–mostly from past laurels and mostly from telling rather than own experience.

ChrisFreeman
    Participant

Not referring to you.

I am referring to the airline editors who review SQ premium cabins on their new products and use that as a basis for reviewing the airline as a whole. ALL business class products should be taken into account when reviewing an airline class of service.

Airpocket
    Participant

Gentlemen, I hardly think editors would be too harsh on airlines’ premium products because, if they were, the magazines would lose the lucrative advertising contracts and the magazine staff might well lose out on free upgrades on those airlines. Anyway, BT is hardly hard-hitting investigative journalism.

Hess963
    Participant

I wonder when BT Asia/Pacific will post a review of the new C seatings–as I am curious how they describe it–comparing to those posted here.

ChrisFreeman
    Participant

Margie Logarta sent me an email today and said that Business Traveller Asia is, in fact, looking into this issue of SQ using the ‘regional’ 777’s on the Sydney route.

I will be interested as to what BT says about this.

Cashsuds
    Participant

I wonder if users in the Biz Class seats for the B777 and the B380’s really think the seats are that good – wide, but they are a “spine cruncher”, because they afford no support and when you sleep in those silly cubicles, you actually suffocate as the air flow does not allow to be circulated where your head is – in a huge well surrounded by steep walls!! I found out I was actually deprived of oxygen – bad enough as the cabins are reduced in pressure compared to normal atmosphere while flying at 10,000m..
    Thank Goodness that SQ is finally realising that they need to have “egonomically” designed seats rather than have seats that they can “talk” about especially in Biz Class and First Class. I hear that there is a change in the so called “wide seats” in the B777 and B380’s but they should have never been installed in the first instance. Looking forward to it.. I call the “wide seats” a “pay for the extra baggage seat” – while not seeming to be unkind, because in times gone past, if were were overweight, you had to pay for two seats!! Now, if you are “normal” we pay for someone who would normally have to occupy two seats. No offence intended please!!

——————————————————————————–

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Cashsuds–you have a grudge. What happened ? Alright not everyone like the new C suite style. But I personally do not feel the “spine cruncher” and I had enough air to breath in my flights in those cubicles. The most important aspect for me in this seat was the privacy which the space stresses greatly. I could move and do in my ” suite ” whatever I want–without invading my neighbours privacy !

I am supporter and love the huge spacious seat in C suite. I hope SQ will keep this seating arrangement. SQ please–do not follow CX horrible C seat–it feels really cramped.

I am not big nor small in size. But I definitely not see that I pay for someone’s his seat when flying with SQ in C cabin.

bombayteddy
    Participant

I have never flown C on the 777-ER or the 380 but have looked at the cabin when I have flown First. The seat looks comfortable when upright but is a potential horror-story to sleep in! For one thing, the width is halved in the latter scenario, making it impossible to sleep on your back (especially if you’re bigbuilt), for another, you are in a “Z” position of sorts, with your head and your feet inserted into “slots”. In comparison, the angled lie-flat seems like heaven!!

alberttky
    Participant

I fail to understand why everyone complains so much and can’t be happy with the fact that they are privileged to enjoy a business class seat.

bombayteddy
    Participant

Maybe people “complain” (and rightly so) when they feel they are not getting their money’s worth. The “privilege” of flying business/first class does NOT come free….someone has to pay for it!

ScottWilson
    Participant

alberttky- What’s “privileged” about working long hours and hard to earn the money to pay to travel with some degree of comfort, choosing an airline on the basis of what it purports to offer, and find it delivers a product you wouldn’t have paid for had you known it was what you would get?

Oh and if you think those in the front cabins are privileged, ask yourself why low cost airlines on long haul routes are both extremely rare and always have a business class cabin? The simple truth is that without premium cabins on long haul flights, there isn’t enough revenue to cover the total cost of operating and providing the capital for such flights.

In other words, most economy class passengers on long haul are, in effect, subsidised by those in first, business and premium economy classes.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Mark, I remember having discussed this a while back together regarding how SQ has 3 to 4 different types of J seats and now as well various F seats, and just wondered if you have an update as I was planning to fly down to OZ in two weeks, and (you will be happy to hear), am avoiding BA due to the strike threat as I can’t risk missing my flights, and I do not enjoy QF. As you know I live in BRU, so dont have the luxury of the A380. Any suggestions as the flights are long, and I am not able to break them for a proper stay-over. Happy to fly out of BRU, AMS, or at a pinch, CDG (I think SQ is using A380 out of CDG but want the connection to be of equal comfort).

MarcusUK
    Participant

Hi Folks.
    Many thanks for taking the time to debate this thread…
    I believe that Alex at BT has put an article in the March edition of the magazine on SQ in particular, with some of my observations included.

We need to clarify the cabin & seats on the aircraft types:
    Flying C – 10 Business sectors in last 18 months-

***A380 – (Same cabin & seats in 777-300ER, but in First on R/F.773)
    Made 3 A380 C flights Sept / Nov LHR-SIN -SYD-SIN sectors. I found the seat very wide, but they have two rectangle pillows, one each side . U can curl up as you would on a sofa legs at the side. The entire shell is very high in the cabin, way above yr head, adding privacy & no noise. (I had to tell of a child behind n had to kneel up to look over the back of the seat!)
    Sleeping was excellent, the cabin quiet, peaceful, due to the layout & depth of seat in each shell. I slept an un-disturbed 6 hrs. I thought it was wonderful.
    This is the seat on the(older & refurbished 773) that is in First class.
    So your business seat is now in First if you wonder where it’s gone!

***Older 773-
    Flew DXB-SIN in Feb 2010. Older aircraft seats a bit fraying, but didn’t seem like the old Raffles class either, probably more regional aircraft, but the seats were well cushioned, more cupped on recline, but they were private, solid, cabin was full but it did not sound or feel it. I had a great comfortable few hrs overnight sleep.

***Older ** Refurbished 773 –
    ( One used daily on SQ231 SIN-SYD 00.40hrs)
    The comments relate to this as above. For me i will NOT be flying this individual aircraft ever again, it is not suitable for overnight, extremely loud engines, vibrating windows to match it, low set cabin head resting above seat backs and noisy & not private, with no privacy option between seats..you breath into each others faces when angled lie flat…if you haven’t slipped down it. The gaps outside the seat cushions, but within the shell mean you hand can go in sidewards.
    The diagonal entry to the cabin is dangerous, people literally collide.

***747 / 772
    Flew a 772 out of AMS-SIN last year also.
    This had the older Raffles style seats / cabins. Bit old hat now, but comfortable quiet cabin, i slept well n had a relaxed pleasant flight. I had no issues with the seat or cabin that felt negative.

***A330 –
    Apparently, BNE/ PER/ADL, the new regional C seating is on these, & others on BT have made similar comments. Not flown on this but comments on here from those that have.

My issue is with these Many different cabins, variations of seat, the service issues are additional.

***Lounges at SIN – totally agree with the comments made above as i have over a year, they are facts not one off observations now.
    ***Meals – changed 2 yrs ago now.
    On the SQ231 they have been cut to one on the 7-9 hr flight, before landing OR after take off. So you EITHER have dinner or breakfast.
    This is not to be dressed up “What passengers want / option to sleep” you don’t have a choice, just when to feel hungry. There are no desserts, no snacks on board at all.
    Passengers either eat before or have breakfast in the airport when they land.

DutchYankee, it is a fair trip down here, i would take the time to use the A380 ffrom CDG /LHR or one of the 777-300-ER aircraft with the new business seat in (FRA /Munich), same as the A380. But watch which flight you get down to Oz from there, the aircraft will be regionalised otherwise, & try yr best NOT to take the SQ231 overnight.
    There is an A380 to Melbourne now on SQ.

If you want even a few hrs & fly overnight on the EU -SIN sectors, you could opt to have a few hrs at the T3 transit hotel, about £35 for 6 hrs, nip into Singapore, or rest up with a base, & your luggage checked through. It wont be a stopover but great to revive, sleep shower, rest or occupy a few hrs or the day, that may help the trip?

Least it is sunny in Sydney (Here at the mo), 30F warm.
    Wish you a great trip, but pick yr aircraft /seats/cabins wisely!
    These are very poor issues for SQ now set over 2 years of changes, & not one off’s.

I hope that updates for you all, clarifies, & my observations was that of many others on the flights also.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls