Spraying the insects

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

At BA we spray wherever it is dictated by the local or UK health authorities.

We always make a PA before starting. Although it’s worth noting this is only in english so some poor people are bound to be caught out.

Xuluman
    Participant

Lisbon-Funchal. Did they make an announcement in French perhaps? Hope you’re feeling better.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I have been off the internet for a day so interested to catch up with the many interesting comments. I particularly like LP’s one on the surgical masks for the crew doing the spraying…..

Xuluman – the announcement was in French and in English, but my French is OK, I understood it exactly, but the announcement was just too late.

The interesting follow-up is this. Late yesterday morning I had a phone call from a very helpful staff member at Customer Service for AF, in response to my note to them via their website. He explained that normal operating practice for AF would have been the announcement before sraying started, and this was just a mistake as can easily happen in the rush to get away from the gate and off the ground – he was apologetic and there will be something to remind AF cabin crew.

So – first rate customer service from AF. There were also some additional miles to make up, which was a nice gesture.

Also, even more interesting, my caller had already read this thread on the BT forum. How many other airlines keep up with comments made about their service in this way? Or if they read the comments, do they act on them?

So that will tip me towards using AF in future, if I am on a route where I have a choice. Good customer service wins more business. Other airlines take note!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

David, it may surprise you, it certainly surprised me, how many large companies do monitor this website.

I once posted some comments about a Sheraton in Germany, where a confirmed booking had been cancelled in error BY THE HOTEL…. The manager was quite irate with me as he had read my post before he had phoned me.

Large companies, know where to look, IF THEY WANT TO!

Good on Air France… well done…

SwissExPat
    Participant

I can remember reading an article a few years ago where an Air France pax had successfully sued and received compensation following a medical complication induced by the spraying of these sprays on certain flights.

Every emirates flight I have taken to India was sprayed so it still does happen.

Xuluman
    Participant

I think Emirates are spraying the passengers though the way they are viewed out in the UAE.

stevescoots
    Participant

BA spray leaving HKG as have CX but not every time, however ,QR,LX do not. BA and CX going direct to UK.

CZ,QR do not spray in CAN but AF do

just my observations over past couple of years

Janbeegee
    Participant

Hi there LP
    I flew BA on the A380 J’burg to Heathrow just last month and we were sprayed with a 5 minute warning. Only thing to watch for is after they go up the aisle and after you think it OK to breathe again they come back down the aisle!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In my case Janbeegee it was just the once, with a FA in each aisle. I always close my eyes, hold my breath till I can no longer, then try to breathe shallowly through my handkerchief or an airline towel if I have one for abut three minutes!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Well, LP, I wish I had had the chance to do the same! I am still coughing and needing occasional drugs for the asthma.

Going back to the point I made a day ago or so, the monitoring of the BT forum by AF is something I find reassuring, paricularly given that the comments are mostly about more British things than AF between Africa and Paris. So, if it is also monitored by other airline customer reations department, what do they do with the information? Presumably a well-known UK-based airline looks at these pages? Do they ever respond to the moans against their service?

SimonS1
    Participant

Spray was used last night on the JNB to Heathrow. I don’t recall any warning being given.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder if that had anything to do with the Ebola virus Simon?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wonder if that had anything to do with the Ebola virus Simon?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

It won’t have been, or at least it should not have been, LP. The range of Ebola is nowehere near South Africa; and the Ebola virus is not spread by an insect vector.

The revival of this thread reminds me of a comparison that I unintentionally set up at about the time the thread started. The prompt – next day – response of AF to my message to their customer relations department is in interesting contrast to the laggardly non-response of LH to a message sent to their customer relations in June: eight weeks and still counting. Come on LH! Wake up!

Hello David

I too suffer from asthma but these days it is much less severe than when I was younger and the spray never bothers me. I can well imagine that was a long, uncomfortable flight…but well done AF CR.

Going back to Xuluman’s post – why on earth should the plane be sprayed between Lisbon and Funchal?

Edit: I think I have found the answer:

http://ec.europa.eu/health/communicable_diseases/events/travel_advice_dengue_201211_en.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls