SPG Amex Card launches in UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

OK – now i understand – its a cheap way to buy airmiles???

I guess then that the idea of the card being a catalyst in helping pay for SPG rooms in a cost effective way is a bit of a red herring.

I realise that 10000 miles are not to be sneezed at – but its a shame that the new card is being primarly viewed as a cheap way to buy airlmiles and not as an effective and beneficial way to buy the brand it is meant to be promoting.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Well it is also a way of earning points to use at the Starwood group hotels – for example I just booked 3 nights in New York for a total of 12,000 points and $180 – that’s less than it would be for one night even if you got an advance rate. So by spending £2000 on your card in your first 3 months you too would have 12,000 points and access to the same discount.

It’s a way of getting a really cheap holiday as a whole, sometimes you earn lots of airmiles, get your free business class flights of whatever and then still have to shell out a fortune for city hotels for when you’re there, SPG means you can earn towards cheaper for free hotel accommodation too.

So it’s not all about tipping your miles into an airline FFP – though that is an option if it’s preferable to you.

As an aside Martyn, the SPG card is a credit card unlike the Centurion Card which is obviously a chargecard (albeit potentially with Flex Select credit line for transactions over £200) so if you want the use of a traditional credit card too then a second card is useful.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Andrew

I hear all you are saying but the benefits are rewards over effective cost controls, which is what we are trying to acheive.

Airmiles is a balance, but given the choice, we would prefer to cut our base line costs over increasing the already overflowing stock of airmiles.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

Yes, that’s fair enough, when purchasing travel for my personal needs (and thus using my own money) I do shop on price over brand loyalty first too.

You are of course able to earn SPG points however you pay for a stay at one of the group’s hotels, so it’s worth being a member.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Andrew,

Already a plat spg member. I too collect points and airmiles. My search though is to find a more cost effective way to pay foreign transactions and it seems that cash remains best!

Martyn

Ps – any new ideas would be appreciated.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Martyn – I think we covered cost of foreign currency in the BA Amex thread. Essentially there is a cost to this activity no matter how you choose to arrange it. And why shouldn’t there be? There is a complex process behind the transaction, so a fee of some sort is probably due.

My frustration is that, rather being up front about costs (which Amex now does) there are lots of operators tat try and hide the fees which make people believe that companies such as Amex are expensive. As a quid pro-quo for the 3%, Amex use the spot rate for the conversion, which is far better than you will get as a consumer – even on a bank transfer.

Cash is by no means the cheapest – you must look out for commission charges too, but most of the time the fee is hidden in the poor rate you get. Unless you transfer a large amount through the banking system, you will be charged tourist rates. Which always work out more expensive than using your card – and much more unsafe.

Continental club is right – in trying to avoid this, not only will you create massive inconvenience, but unless you know the banking system well you will probably end up picking up the fee somewhere in the transaction anyway,

Incidentally – if you cant see the benefits you get for your centurion card you will save far more money in canceling it when the fee comes and switching back to Platinum.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Gooner

I missed the BA charges thread unless my memory is letting me down again. Thanks for your reply, very informative.

Centurion Card

There is only one benefit i use and thats the travel benefit. The cover is comprehensive but the only problem is that as it is a benefit and not a “travel policy” written in the card holders name, all teh rights belong to the policy holder. Therefore, the card holder has no FSA protection. I have several instances of rules changing, published benefits not being correct and claim rules not being kept. As this is a non FSA protected policy, AMex are at complete and total liberty to change and ammed rules and conditions as they see fit, even mid claim. Most agents selling travel policies simply say “great benefits” but on the main are clueless. I have tried using Amex travel on 2 occassions and on both times, their fares came up at over £1000 more expensive, one was long haul and one was short haul.

I have met with the Centurion VP UK to discuss my concerns and quite frankly, i was not impressed by his total silence. £1800 for a piece of metal PLUS all the commissions is in my opinion over the top. Most of the so called benefits a regualr traveller will get and the rates quoted for hotels etc, are self negotiable. I will be downgrading at renewal to whatever level will provide the travel benefit – but it is not worth £1800.

Travelling costs – today i opened up a bank account with a debit card in the asian currency I need. My intention is to arrange for a bank transfer of sufficient currency to cover all my trip expenses and pay hotels and petty cash through the debit card in the local currency. This was easy to arange, a transfer costs £20 which is well below the commission charges and we have an audit trail of all expenses in that country. Easy simple and well worth while.

I admit for a large PLC these costs are a nightmare. I agree that services and facilties have to be covered by fees, but the fees that Amex charge were very well hidden.

All charges shoul dbe visible and i am very suprised indeed that the FSA permit their logo to onto documents that contain such invisibilty in terms of charges.

Many thanks for your answers to my question, £1800 to BT is worth far more to obtain alll of this IP!!

Thanks to you all.

shingles
    Participant

Continentalclub: here’s a fx recommendation that might appeal to you – the pros and cons of the Caxton FX card are discussed here –

http://insidetraveller.co.uk/blog/?p=938

A prepaid debit card of course, but as an economical way of getting fx abroad this seems to offer a pretty good deal. And their rates are impressive even after their slice has been applied.

travelwell
    Participant

bringing the discussion back to the SPG amex card, I think its a great extra way to earn more SPG points for free nights. Not sure why they dont offer an additional points incentive if you pay for your stay in an SPG hotel with your SPG amex card like other’s do ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

This signup offer is still on, though 10,000 Starpoints on offer rather than the 15,000 offered in June:

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/starwood-preferred-guest-credit-card/

Starpoints work 1:1 with BA Miles, and I think you get a 25% bonus if you convert over 20,000?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls