Spanair shuts down

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

No protection if you pay with a debit card. It’s just like paying with cash.

As for credit cards, Rich is correct when it comes to UK-issued cards (for sums over £100) because holders are covered under section 75 of the 1974 CCA. But does similar protection apply for cards issued outside the UK ?

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

ballzi81 I would not worry Malev is all ok, I was not trying to worry people, again its some of the press think it funny to worry people as there is no real news. Malev is owned by the government they will not let it go under, this more due to the EU saying they could not bail it out. Same can be said for Ireland Aer Lingus where the EU not poking there nose in so dont get why EU poking there nose in.

ballzi81 have great time in Budapest, if you need any tips feel free to ask. I live between London and Budapest so on a Malev or BA flight 2 times a week nomal fly out on Malev and back on BA due to the times. The crew are very happy that it owned by the government as the last owners where bleeding it dry and selling everythink off.

I herd on radio 2 today in the car about Spanair herd about here 1st so the media is slow.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

RichHI1 is Amex protected I known Visa is but not bank card.

But plz don’t worry ballzi81you be all ok. ballzi81 did you Book with BA as they codeshare with Malev?

Could the nice people at businesstraveller.com move the Malev, posts in to a other topic feel bad for this being a Spanair topic.

ballzi81
    Participant

Thanks for all the info Chris! If the crew are happy, that must mean that they have jobs to look forward to, in the near future at least!

Booked through Malev’s website…..on a Visa Debit Card…..

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

ballzi81 make sure to get your airmiles if you got a BA club card think you might get teir points but I book on the BA site but it worth it if you got BA club card.

Ricjackal
    Participant

And Spanair …………. ?

ballzi81
    Participant

Oh dear…bad news – Malev is no more.

Having done some quick research, the stance on refunds is not yet clear. However, WizzAir are offering ‘rescue packages’ on flights booked before 31st January. Problem is, I’d rather ge t arefund & not go than having to shell out extra costs for flights & baggage.

But, booking on debit card is now looking like a major faux pas! I’ve just got to hope that Malev are able to refund customers who had flights booked. It’s a waiting game now, unfortunately.

If anyone has any further info on this, please do share.

Cheers!

Senator
    Participant

Dear ChrisBuda82, I don’t want to be smug, nor gloat in anyone’s misery. But on 31/01/2012 22:11 GMT you stated: “I would not worry Malev is all ok, I was not trying to worry people, again its some of the press think it funny to worry people as there is no real news. Malev is owned by the government they will not let it go under”.

In an objective manner, what do you think has happened here?

As I said, it is more curiosity as you seem to be well informed about what happens in Budapest.

RichHI1
    Participant

I cannot help thinking that the European Union member states would benfit from a Chapter 11 provision to allow airlines time to reorganzie and refinance after the European Commission tries to close them down.

Seen lots of posts here and on Malev thread about Germans and French subsidizing but different rules for other states. This is a tad naive. The EU has alwways been about Germnay and France and the problems that the Euro zone has stem from France and Germany being allowed to flaunt the Euro Budgetary rules. Some would say the whole crisis has been engineered by Germany to take over Europe economically in a way they have failed to do in previous military attempts.
    I have to say I do not see how closing Span Air and Malev helps European Consumers but then maybe I am being naive.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Senator what I wrote at the time was right that “Malev is owned by the government they will not let it go under”. But Sadley the government was black mailed from the EU by way of the farming subs. Malev was under some sort of Chapter 11 and the money give was loans from the government to the airline. Just seems to me they where picking on the airline. The airline had the backing of the plane leasing company and where making money and would paid the loans off, just stinks to me what the EU did some one playing dirty!

Malev have a huge gound crew opt at Budapest Airport this going to effict the airport a great deal and the county, as the Airline was a lifeline to the county. I herd as most the loans where owed to the government so they will take back ownership, to me does not make sense what the EU did as the airline will go back to the government and how will they inject money in to get it running again?

To be honest the as Budapest is so near to Vienna people will drive there or get flights to Vienna to fly on to other places or fly to London to go else where what happens alot before this event but was Malev & BA whee the biggest at the airport flying the bigger planes compared with the others. So the winners will be LH and BA, easyjet etc

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Valid points RichH1. It appears at times Merkozy have one rule for themselves whilst the national identities of the smaller EU partners are eroded and eventually subsumed.
    A C11 provision as you suggest, would indeed have provided breathing space, though would slow the EU integration agenda which will result in member states being unviable outside it.

It is a big pity Chris for everyone involved in Bud.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls