Spain to Ban Reserving Pool Loungers

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just read (can’t copy as it’s a paid sub) that Spain is banning tourists from reserving seats by the pool by placing towels on them in the early morning. A Spanish Tourist Association member said that the biggest culprits were the Germans and this often lead to fights between them and the English. Anyone flouting the ban will receive a fine equivalent to a nights stay in the hotel.

esselle
    Participant

Interesting.

I also understand that Sangria drinking competitions are to be banned as they are seen as the root of ever increasing incidents of antisocial behaviour.

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s going to reduce the number of flights between Germany and Spain pretty substantially I should think.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The Germans will just lock the loungers in their rooms, overnight 😉

icenspice
    Participant

I say start charging guests. Perhaps €10 per day (15 if you want a parasol) and 5 for the youngsters who don’t tend to do much sunbathing ?

esselle
    Participant

April fool, non?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Spot on Esselle. My attempt at some April 1st humour! ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Well done LP…If only it were true… 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

It would be funny if it weren’t so true. We are in Phuket and “bed wars” have been happening left, right and centre. Senior Offspring was verbally accosted after occupying beds which had been cleared by staff (the original claimant had been absent for almost three hours). Good friends of ours on the other side of the pool, in similar circumstances, were threatened with physical violence.

We have persuaded management to re-display the old sign saying beds were subject to clearance after 45 minutes’ absence.

But apparently some guests still need more lebensraum and believe that all that is required is a towel, an old magazine/book/hat and a firm belief that this justifies their claim in perpetuity.

Haven’t they watched Eddie Izzard? You need a flag

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came back from the Mount nelson in Cape Town where everyone is allocated loungers. For regular guests like ourselves, we have our favourite position, and when we reserve our stay, those seats are allocated and available to us.

It made me laugh when a very nice German couple were staying with their 8/9 year old son Maxi. After breakfast Maxi came down, took the towels, laid them out neatly and placed his water ball on the seat. We had to laugh as we said “In Germany they teach them young!”

SwissExPat
    Participant

I expect that you remember the following:

I was in Lanzarotte last week and the hotel seemed to have a policy of removing towels from loungers if unoccupied for 60 minutes. This was on a card placed on the evening dinner tables.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Pat 😉 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls